Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai to Europe from Singapore via BKK less than direct from BKK!!!

Old Mar 16, 09, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold

Last year whilst I was visiting Singapore I noticed Thai Airways ad on Thai sg website for Business class fares from Singapore to Europe that were $1,000 cheaper than from Bangkok!!!

As I was travelling to Singapore several times I booked one of these tickets as you were allowed to stop over in BKK both ways so very flexible.

I find it crazy that I can fly to Europe and have two return tickets to Singapore, business class, cheaper than a ticket direct from BKK to Europe.

I see they have the same offer again book by 16th April fly by August.

Thanks Thai, I feel really great that I pay more for my tickets in BKK than in Singapore or Europe
Old Mar 16, 09, 11:49 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
I can see that upset you, so I will not mention Jakarta or Denpasar
Old Mar 17, 09, 12:23 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
what you mention is completely normal and applies for most of the worlds airlines. Singapore airlines charge more ex-SIN than they do from other ports. Qantas charge more ex-Australia than they do from overseas ports. Its the home base phenomenon. People are willing to pay more to support the local carrier a lot of the time, so the prices are higher.
Old Mar 17, 09, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Hi BKKROP,

Does not upset me when I can find a way round it as per Singapore or your suggestions.

Please spill the beans, as I am planning a trip to Bali so maybe I can try there, any websites you know of?

This stuff is really interesting, especially the prices from UK where it is much cheaper with Thai but still double the price of Cathay,Singapore, Qantas, BA, Emirates and all the others, Aus/NZ routes in particular.

Any other bargain countries people know of?
Old Mar 17, 09, 2:40 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
I am just surprised there are still people around who don't know that this is how it works everywhere, as dazz81 says.

BA pax ex-LHR pay more than pax starting their journey elsewhere, LH pax ex-FRA, KL pax ex-AMS, CX pax ex-HKG....etc..etc..etc..

This is nothing new.
Old Mar 17, 09, 4:37 am

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by bkkman View Post
Any other bargain countries people know of?
Yes, Korea !! It is spectacularly cheap, in part because the won is fairly weak. I'm not sure if the economic downturn has temporarily led TG to lower fares too.

SEL-BKK-LHR/ZRH/CDG starting from 1800 euros (21 day advance purchase)

Factor in a cheap way, if there are any, for BKK-based travellers to get to SEL. But even excluding getting to SEL inthe first place this works out around 36,000 miles (for anyone who's in Miles and More)
Old Mar 17, 09, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I agree this is not new but I thought would be of interest to know about deals available, I thoght that was one of the ideas of this blog. I have seen many postings about deals with Thai ( as per Dazz81 thread for Bali)and this was the main part of my thread.

I for one would ask anyone who knows of any deal that maybe of interest to let us know. Maybe that is a new thread.

Anyway it is wrong to say that all home carriers do this all the time. BA have many offers from the UK which are half of price of Thai to Australia and also Qantas do deals from Australia too. If any body wants websites in the UK and Australia that these carriers give , send me a private message and I will pass to you.

Last edited by bkkman; Mar 17, 09 at 10:53 pm Reason: more relevant info
Old Mar 17, 09, 10:41 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
[QUOTE=bkkman;11425368
Please spill the beans, as I am planning a trip to Bali so maybe I can try there, any websites you know of?[/QUOTE]
I have no special sites, I surf the Singapore sites, pick up a special, then push it as far as I can on the airline sites as I need mileage for the least amount as against the cheapest fare, regards bkkrop
Old Mar 17, 09, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks BKKROP, I will pass on any information I have that saves us money but still uses Thai.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: