TG posts huge loss of US$592m in 2008

Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
TG posts huge loss of US$592m in 2008

Source: Channelnewsasia.com

BANGKOK: Flag carrier Thai Airways posted a huge loss of 21.3 billion baht (592 million dollars) in 2008 because of high fuel prices and protests that briefly shuttered Bangkok's airports, the company said.

The airline made a profit of 4.4 billion baht in 2007, and last year's plunge was the company's first annual loss in 43 years.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:53 am

Thai Airways Makes Huge Loss

BANGKOK: -- Flag carrier Thai Airways posted a huge loss of 21.3 billion baht (592 million dollars) in 2008 because of high fuel prices and protests that briefly shuttered Bangkok's airports, the company said.

The airline made a profit of 4.4 billion baht in 2007, and last year's plunge was the company's first annual loss in 43 years.

"For the fiscal year 2008 Thai Airways International continues to encounter crises such as the continuing sharp rise of jet fuel price, the global economic slowdown as well as the political unrest in the country," the airline said.

In the statement released late Friday, Thai Airways also blamed foreign exchange losses due to the weakening of the Thai baht.

The national carrier reported a 1.6 percent year-on-year increase in its total revenue to 200.1 billion baht, but its operating expenses were up 10.8 percent to 206.8 billion baht.

The airline also reported foreign exchange losses of 4.5 billion baht.

Thai Airways is currently in talks with the government over a rescue package to help revive the struggling carrier's finances.

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij has insisted the airline must submit a detailed recovery plan before it receives taxpayer funds.

Thai Airways officials have previously said that the company lost about 20 billion baht when protesters trying to topple the last government seized and shut down Bangkok's two airports for a week in late November to early December.

The occupation stranded around 350,000 passengers in Thailand and battered the kingdom's vital tourism industry.

In January, Thai Airways said it would ask for a delay in the delivery of six A330 aircraft from European aircraft manufacturer Airbus due to a shortage of cash.

-- AFP 2009-02-28
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I don't think $592m is such a huge loss, considering the 10-day occupation of TG's home airports and the attendant damage to the Thai tourism economy, not to mention the snafu with the nonstop US flights, the oil price spike to $147/bbl, and Thai's standard management (read: political hack) disarray.

Color me cynical.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Color me cynical.
Color you spot on.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: ROP
They're essentially saying they would have made 3 billion THB if not for the BKK incident and foreign exchange fluctuations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.