Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG 795 Orchid Plus Seat!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

TG 795 Orchid Plus Seat!!

I'm going to flying on TG795 from LAX-->BKK. I haven't been reading any great reviews about the Business Class seats. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Are the seats old? Does anyone have any photos that they can share? I fear that it's not what i'm going to be expecting.

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
btran, welcome to FT.

There is a wealth of information available - starting the the THAI website:
http://www.thaiairways.co.th/eng/TG/...00.php?mid=345

Also check out www.seatguru.com and www.seatexpert.com

The is a powerful search facility, which yields results such as this trip report:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...ip-report.html

Hope this is a help!

cheers, TK
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold
Sloping flat seats. They're ok. Average business class seats. Not as good as the new generation flat beds but 1000x better than economy.

Also Royal Orchid Plus is the name of their ff scheme. Thai business class is called Royal Silk.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: most of them
and if BKK is your final destination the direct flight beats making a connection in most cases.

It is basically the same sloping "flat" seat that other carriers like ANA have in business class. Personally I find these seats useless for sleeping. But they are roomy enough to make such a long flight bearable. Unless you can get a seat on Singapore's business class A345 which is 180 degrees flat it's not a bad way to go.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by glennaa11
and if BKK is your final destination the direct flight beats making a connection in most cases.

It is basically the same sloping "flat" seat that other carriers like ANA have in business class. Personally I find these seats useless for sleeping. But they are roomy enough to make such a long flight bearable. Unless you can get a seat on Singapore's business class A345 which is 180 degrees flat it's not a bad way to go.
Is TG 795, the LAX-BKK "westbound" direction of this flight, also nonstop or just a "direct" flight? I know that BKK-LAX is nonstop but thought I have read that this flight had a technical fuel stop going the other direction.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I took the flight a month ago BKK-LAX and LAX-BKK and as long as there is nothing like extrem headwinds on the BKK-LAX it is nonstop flight. No technical stop anywhere.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:46 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by demue
as long as there is nothing like extrem headwinds on the BKK-LAX it is nonstop flight.
It's LAX-BKK, not BKK-LAX that would be a problem if any. Winds are in their favor going BKK-LAX and against the plane going LAX-BKK.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by A_Lee
It's LAX-BKK, not BKK-LAX that would be a problem if any. Winds are in their favor going BKK-LAX and against the plane going LAX-BKK.
I'm on TG 795 from LAX to BKK in early June, and now that I've seen the actual itinerary, it definitely says "nonstop." If anyone has been on this flight recently in C (I have read some trip reports from while back on this flight), would love to know if the TG service has been of late, and whether there have been any subs to A340-600s.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:42 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I flew it in February in C and didn't notice any changes in the service from the past. It was the A345 on my flights and I haven't heard of any substitutions, and doubt they will have any, being they've discontinued the JFK flights so have plenty of spare planes now.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Originally Posted by A_Lee
I flew it in February in C and didn't notice any changes in the service from the past. It was the A345 on my flights and I haven't heard of any substitutions, and doubt they will have any, being they've discontinued the JFK flights so have plenty of spare planes now.
Agreed. When they were running daily service to both LAX and JFK, it stretched the 4-plane A340-500 fleet pretty thin. Now that they just have LAX four days a week, and a few shorter A345 destinations, it's much easier to schedule maintenance and still have full coverage of the LAX route.

As for service, I just flew C on April 2nd from LAX. Nothing seemed changed to me, except for a much nicer amenity kit than that "purple sack" they used last year.

The trip clocked at 17:57 wheels up-wheels down, non-stop.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
Agreed. When they were running daily service to both LAX and JFK, it stretched the 4-plane A340-500 fleet pretty thin. Now that they just have LAX four days a week, and a few shorter A345 destinations, it's much easier to schedule maintenance and still have full coverage of the LAX route.

As for service, I just flew C on April 2nd from LAX. Nothing seemed changed to me, except for a much nicer amenity kit than that "purple sack" they used last year.

The trip clocked at 17:57 wheels up-wheels down, non-stop.
Wow, that is one long flight! Thanks for the information.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:37 pm

Flew it last week. Service is better BKK-LAX than LAX-BKK. FA's must be grumpy after layover. Seat is not very comfortable for sleeping IMO.

This flight will change to A-330 later this year and will not be non-stop.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
Flew it last week. Service is better BKK-LAX than LAX-BKK. FA's must be grumpy after layover. Seat is not very comfortable for sleeping IMO.

This flight will change to A-330 later this year and will not be non-stop.
It's not a bed, but it beats trying to sleep in a coach seat.

I have heard no announcements other than the continuation of nonstop service on the Los Angeles route, and when they were talking about going 1-stop via Osaka last year, that was going to be using a 777-200ER.

For an A330-200 (which THAI does not use) it is almost at maximum range (going against the wind) to make LAX>Japan. An A330-300 (which is what THAI uses) does not have the legs to make that distance.

What is the source for your statement above?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
It's not a bed, but it beats trying to sleep in a coach seat.

I have heard no announcements other than the continuation of nonstop service on the Los Angeles route, and when they were talking about going 1-stop via Osaka last year, that was going to be using a 777-200ER.

For an A330-200 (which THAI does not use) it is almost at maximum range (going against the wind) to make LAX>Japan. An A330-300 (which is what THAI uses) does not have the legs to make that distance.

What is the source for your statement above?
Yes, I'm well aware it's not a bed. I've taken these flights over 20x in the last 4 years. That's why I said, IMO, it's not very comfortable to sleep in. Just my opinion....

My source is Thai Airways USA. I had a scheduled flight for 12/1/09 and gave them my seat request for the 340-500. They replied they will have an aircraft change to Airbus A330 and could not accomodate my request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.