FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Thai tiers + earning points on discount economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/86342-thai-tiers-earning-points-discount-economy.html)

Fliar Mar 10, 2004 3:34 pm

Thai tiers + earning points on discount economy

Hi,

In the membership guide gold appears to be the hightest tier. How (if at all) do Thai recognise their more frequent flyers?

Also, I read in a footnote: 'accrual of qualifying miles with Star Alliance airlines subject to paid fare'. I know certain booking classes (S) don't earn any points at all but how about *A flights that are discount economy (such as Thai's B class). Do you get the 100% miles or a reduction? I will fly SIA soon from AKL-SIN-AMS-LHR-SIN-AKL and was wondering how many miles I'd earn. For SIA normally all economy classes are considered discount, i.e. they only earn 70%, but the lady I talked to at the ROP helpdesk assured me I'd be earning 100%. This seems at odds with what I read in the membership guide.

anyone know about this?
Thanks!

Savage25 Mar 10, 2004 9:13 pm

TG doesn't recognise anything beyond their ROP Gold as far as I know. Search the forum...there were a couple of threads on this. However, once you've qualified for Gold in year 1, you have the Gold status for 2 years, and if you rack up another 50k miles in year 2, your Gold status is extended for another 2 years (year 3 and 4).

If you're travelling on SQ, classes V,Q,G,X and N will not earn any miles on any FFP program. All other economy classes will earn 100% on TG's ROP. Also, even if 1 segment on your itinerary is in V,Q,G,X,N, then you will not earn miles for the whole itinerary!

If you are flying TG, classes Y,B,M,H,T and V will definitely earn you 100% miles....I can't speak for the other classes.

vivamuci Mar 11, 2004 12:15 am

thai wanted to introduce a higher status for c / f class passengers like cx or sq pps last year but postponed that. as far as i know they coordinate that together with lufthansa. lh intrdouces a higher status then senantor this year and there is a team with thai incl. some lh staff to work on that. maybe all star carriers will have a new elite level as gold lounges and check-in are so crowded.

jpatokal Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Savage25:
If you are flying TG, classes Y,B,M,H,T and V will definitely earn you 100% miles....I can't speak for the other classes.</font>
I'm flying TG in Q next month (U$300 for SIN-BKK-KIX-BKK-SIN), and my travel agent tells me I'll get the miles for it. The *A comparison chart also claims all TG classes will get 100% mileage.

Hendrikje_be Mar 12, 2004 1:37 am

Indeed, with Thai ROP you will get 100% miles on any paid ticket. Of course not on the award tickets. If you will fly Singapore Airlines, you will only get the SQ mileage on your Thai account. On the discounted economy tickets this means no miles.

Actually Thai has a very good FFP for people who aren't flying very much or only in Economy. It's quite easy to get Silver (10.000 miles) and even Gold doesn't require so many miles (50.000) and it gives you all the advantages of Star Alliance Gold. And even then you keep your status for two years.

I also experienced no problems untill now with getting award tickets and using my annual upgrades, even for very long flights (e.g. Brussels - Perth in Australia).
On the other hand the Brussels Thai Airlines office is so small I know all the empoyees by name and they know me. We do fly frequently to Thailand since we have a second home over there. And bringing a box of Belgian chocolates when picking up the award or upgraded tickets maybe helps too (Thai style).

Henk

Tclin Mar 12, 2004 11:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Savage25:
If you are flying TG, classes Y,B,M,H,T and V will definitely earn you 100% miles....I can't speak for the other classes.</font>
Domestic discount (W), they are adverting on their website now, is also 100% accrual.

Fliar Mar 17, 2004 4:24 pm

Hendrikje_b said: If you will fly Singapore Airlines, you will only get the SQ mileage on your Thai account. On the discounted economy tickets this means no miles.

I rang the Thai rop office here in Auckland and they assured me that I would be getting 100% mileage on all SIA flights (as long as they are not flights that don't earn any points at all).

This seems to be at odds with what Hendrikje_b says...anyone know the final answer to this?

Sydfly Mar 18, 2004 12:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fliar:
Hendrikje_b said: If you will fly Singapore Airlines, you will only get the SQ mileage on your Thai account. On the discounted economy tickets this means no miles.
</font>
I think this means that if your ticket contains any sector booked in X,Q,G,N and V class on SQ you will not get any TG points for the whole itinerary either. I think that is the case with all *A carriers if you fly SQ on those discounted tix even if only one sector is on SQ.

Hendrikje_be Apr 2, 2004 8:37 am

It's SQ that gives the miles

If you fly on other carriers, the FFP of the carrier determines the miles you will get. They will be transferred to your ROP account. In the case of Singapore Airlines, most discounted Economy tickets will not give you any miles. Funnily the price difference may be as low as 40 € for a long flight such as from Brussels to Singapore. If you will be using the miles for tickets it's worth to pay the extra.