Thai buys A340-500/-600

Old Apr 9, 03, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thai buys A340-500/-600

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030409/0131000533_3.html

Thai Airways Int'l board has approved the order of 8 A340-500. This will includes 3 A340-500 and 5 -600 series. These aircraft will replace B747-300 and MD11.
Old Apr 10, 03, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Any idea what routes these will operate?
Old Apr 10, 03, 11:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The only route TG could possibly need such range is for non-stop flights from Bangkok to the U.S., at least on the A340-500, which will be Airbus' longest range aircraft when it comes out.

Right now, TG only flies to Los Angeles, so I look to see that go non-stop. Perhaps JFK or ORD as well in the future?

Let's just hope TG's seats move into the 21st century as well.
Old Apr 12, 03, 3:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
well maybe they can then add a priority boarding line to their flights for people who fly business or first
they had none the last three flights I had on Thai including last week
Talk about going downhill - even Thaksin slagged them

Old Apr 12, 03, 5:06 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Maybe they will use them for their Australian routes as well? I think they use MD-11s and 744s for Australia today?

Gustaf
Old Apr 12, 03, 12:53 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
Most of the gates at Bangkok Int'l Airport are poorly designed. It's almost impossible to implement priority boarding. The renovated gates (gate 40-50) is much better in this regard.
Old Apr 12, 03, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gustaf:
Maybe they will use them for their Australian routes as well? I think they use MD-11s and 744s for Australia today?

Gustaf
</font>
They might use them on those routes, but they don't need to use them on those routes as the present equipment easily have the range.

Old Apr 15, 03, 6:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Always Flyin:
They might use them on those routes, but they don't need to use them on those routes as the present equipment easily have the range.

</font>
Maybe it's not a question of range, but a question of matching capacity to demand?

Also, they probably want to offer an upgraded cabin product compared to the MD-11s and old configuration 744s they fly on the route.
Old Apr 15, 03, 8:24 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
TG's M11's are really losers compared to the competition on the kangaroo route or even to Asia. I'm thinking here of QF 744's with ISV in Y, SQ 747/777, OZ 777, MH 777/747, CX 777/747/330 etc. One wonders if TG is losing market share based just on their equipment type.

Also they only operate 4 MD11's which apart from MEL/SYD also operate to GVA and I think one other euro destination. The 340's would be a vast improvement.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Apr 15, 03, 9:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMEL:
Also they only operate 4 MD11's which apart from MEL/SYD also operate to GVA and I think one other euro destination.</font>
Richard, don't TG also use MD11's to BNE?
Old Apr 15, 03, 9:56 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
BKK-BNE-AKL will be upgraded to B777-300 in October due to high demand.

I think the reason why TG uses old equipment on this route is because they can simply get away with it. Even with the old seats, TG flights are filled up pretty well.

MD-11 is on the way out and no upgrade can be expected. The question is how soon? Looks like it may be replaced in 2004 when the UA 744's are delivered.
Old Jul 3, 03, 3:51 am

Looks like they are deploying new direct flights from Australia - HKT (Phuket) !! - and it's within the next month... anyone have any ideas whether TG has actually deployed these new flights???

http://www.travelbiz.com.au/articles/b3/0c017eb3.asp

Thai to launch direct Phuket services ex Australia

Thai Airways is planning to introduce direct services to Phuket from Sydney and Melbourne within the next month, according to the airline's sales and marketing director, Vasing Kittikeil.

"I have briefed wholesalers attending the Thai workshops this morning on the proposed services which should be up and running in July," Kittikeil said.

"Traffic from Australia is of high importance for us."

In Sydney as part of a Thailand Roadshow, he said Thai Airways would be back to full services worldwide by next month.

"Like most airlines we trimmed our services over the last months but we will be back to normal to handle our winter traffic," Kittikeil said.

5 June 2003
Old Feb 13, 04, 11:59 am

Looks like Thai's 345 and 346 will be nicely fitted out:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
B/E Aerospace announced that it has been selected by Thai Airways ... will feature B/E's award winning Minipod electric lie flat seat in their next generation business class cabin ... the Thai Airways program will include B/E's new, luxuriously appointed international first class seat accommodations.</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> The inflight entertainment system on THAIís Airbus A340 aircraft will operate using on-demand system with an entertainment index with a capability of up to 200 programs, from Matsu****a.

The airlineís Airbus A340 aircraft will enter THAIís fleet beginning approximately in March 2005 and will be utilized on intercontinental flights to Europe and the United States of America.

The 3 Airbus A340-500 aircraft will have 3 classes of travel: Business Class with 60 seats, Super Economy with 49 seats, and Economy Class with 114 seats, at a total capacity of 223 seats.

The 5 Airbus A340-600 aircraft will have 3 classes of travel: First Class with 8 seats, Business Class with 60 seats, and Economy Class with 202 seats, at a total capacity of 270 seats.</font>

The B/E Aerospace Minipod is the 'flat' biz seat which has been getting better reviews than most aboard JL, NW, and QF, while the FC SuperPod appears to be the one featured on LX and SA.

Old Feb 13, 04, 11:10 pm

Programs: BR Gold
I just read about this earlier in the week but can't find it now. Seems TG want to fly with their new aircraft from:

BKK-LAX-BKK
BKK-ORD-BKK
BKK-NYC-BKK

If I find the article, I'll re-post here.

Search this Thread