Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

More competition for TG; PhuketAir has 747s for Europe links

Old Feb 1, 04, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Phuket Air, one of the new private local start-ups flies since some 2 yrs a few routes out of BKK with 737, and now also to somewhere in Myanmar and India.
It recently acquired 3 elderly 747s, former KLM, leased on Garuda/Indonesian, and intends to start intercontinental links to Prais, Copenhagen and Stockholm, thus effectively competing direct with TG. The planes (2 still in KL-blue) were standing at the tarmac at the domestic sector a few days ago.
Compard to the lossmaking domestic sectors, this must mean a more serious threat to our pheuan dee at TG?!
Old Feb 4, 04, 7:07 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thaifly:
Phuket Air ... acquired 3 elderly 747s, former KLM, leased on Garuda/Indonesian, and intends to start intercontinental links to ... Stockholm, thus effectively competing direct with TG. </font>
Let's hope they are more successful than PB Air, which tried a similar venture a couple of years ago - up to the point where schedules were published and tickets sold.

Old Feb 4, 04, 8:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Austman:
Let's hope they are more successful than PB Air, which tried a similar venture a couple of years ago - up to the point where schedules were published and tickets sold.

</font>
Which reminds me -- how's Orient Thai doing? I've seen their 747's sitting around BKK many times, but AK will eat their lunch domestically and I don't think they're flying internationally either...
Old Feb 6, 04, 9:01 am

I flew into Bangkok last week on a CX flight which had taken off right behind an Orient Thai flight heading the same direction.

I'd assume they must be doing okay, but I know nothing about them. They seemed to have a number of 747's sitting around in BKK.

At least they painted uniformly.

The Phuket Air 747's scare me. They all still have the livery colors of their previous owners except for "PHUKET AIR" on the tails. If they're skimping on painting the planes, who knows what else they're skimping on (i.e. safety?).

Old Feb 8, 04, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

PBair: this comp is owned byu the utterly rich family Boon rawd that also owns the Singha brewery. The flights were charters to sweden (apparently Scandinavia promises good returns for these flights...) but was cancelled after the 11/9 disaster and all-over fall in airtraffic.
OX=Thai Or. now does charters (well, mainly: most seats sold in blocks to local touroperators) in Korea and China (an up and booming market for visitors to this kingdom) and a very few seats are left for sale on the local market, even at fares undercutting the very cheap ones on AY and the likefor BKk-HKG.
1 of the 3 747s I saw was completely painted in the new Phuket colors (all white with signs, other as the red ex NWA?? 737s they use for domestic), but the other 2 were still KLMblue (easy for me, Iam Dutch)
Old Feb 9, 04, 1:27 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
Orient Thai has been expanding very fast. Now they have quite a fleet of widebodies. So, yes, they seem to be doing well with both the schedule and chartered flights. Their current destinations include Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hong Kong, Korea and various asian chartered service.

Now their fleet consists of

HS-UTB (747-200)
HS-UTC (747-200)
HS-UTD (747-100)
HS-UTI (747-200)
HS-UTJ (747-200)
HS-UTH (747-100)
HS-UTK (747-300)
HS-UTP (747-200)

L1011
HS-UTA
HS-UTE
HS-UTG
HS-UTF (coming soon)
XU-100 (stored?)

HS-OTA
XU-123 (leased from Kampuchea Airlines, a subsidiary of OX)

Search this Thread