TG fares BKK-HKG

Old Jan 10, 04, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, DL Gold, AA Gold
TG fares BKK-HKG

Hey folks:

A friend and I are considering a two week asian adventure involving NRT, HKG, and BKK. Right now we're planning on using a UA saver award to get us to either HKG or BKK, and buying a side-ticket for the other city.

Expedia is pricing out BKK-HKG and vice versa at around $420. I remember reading once about discount travel agents in BKK that can obtain intra-asia travel at far lower prices. Is this a route where that would be the case? What could we expect to realistically pay for BKK-HKG?

Any insights would be most welcome.

Thanks,
hamburgler
Old Jan 10, 04, 6:09 pm

Programs: SK*G, BD*S, HH-Gold
Hi

i have just booked that route myself over the net with a travel agent in Thailand
http://www.flights.com go into the thailand section.

i paid 9900BHT with finnair from bangkok to hong kong plus tax. TG and CX run at about 25000BHT plus tax...this is for business class.

buy your ticket from Bangkok usually works out cheaper.

They also have deals with TK, GF, EK, UL

need any more advice get back to me

BBJ - The way to fly!
Old Jan 11, 04, 2:10 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Anything ex-BKK is always much cheaper than ex-HKG. Therefore, I'd suggest you go to BKK then purchase a side ex-BKK.
Old Jan 11, 04, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, DL Gold, AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LHSEN:
Anything ex-BKK is always much cheaper than ex-HKG. Therefore, I'd suggest you go to BKK then purchase a side ex-BKK.</font>
Thanks for the advice -- as it turns out, I cannot have an open jaw and a stopover on a *A fare, and as a result I think I'm going to homebase out of HKG due to availability -- does anyone have any good travel agent recommendations for booking an HKG-BKK roundtrip? Thanks.

hamburgler
Old Jan 11, 04, 7:17 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Try www.aerohkg.com. Sometimes, they've good fare on biz and first form HKG to BKK. If you see anything you'd like call them (don't use the website to book).
Old Jan 12, 04, 3:20 am

Programs: SK*G, BD*S, HH-Gold
www.flights.com

they have a HK division too

BBJ - The way to fly
Old Jan 12, 04, 5:33 am

Consider flying into Singapore and buying tickets onwards from there. Fares are very competitive ex SIN, due to the weak Singapore dollar. You could do SIN&gt;BKK&gt;HKG on TG for example:

http://www.airfares.com.sg
Old Jan 12, 04, 7:45 am

You might want to try Chawla Travel (http://www.chawlatravel.com/) in Bangkok, you can eg. book over the net and have the tickets sent to your hotel. Never used them myself, but they advertise so much that they can't be too bad. Large travel agencies also often have desks at major hotels: the prices through these can be surprisingly reasonable, they're fast and they won't try to cheat you. Hopefully.

Many BKK travel agencies (esp. anything near Khao San Rd) are notoriously dodgy, don't pay a cent until you have a ticket in hand and have called the airline to make sure they think it's a ticket too...
Old Jan 14, 04, 3:17 am

Programs: UA MM, CX Diamond, LH Senator, BA Gold, Hyatt Courtesy
I've used Chawla Travel many times and they are very reputable and very experienced in dealing with heavy flyers.
Ask for Rani, she is the daughter in law of the owner and founder. They DHL tickets to you anywhere in the world.
In HK, you can try Tiglion travel (www.tiglion.com) and ask for Raina (names are coincidentally similar).
Like everyone else has said here, I'll add that you should depart from BKK for your side trips and you'll save 30-50% than if you departed from HKG. I always save a coupon to get back to BKK from HKG to take advantage of the fare differential.

Search this Thread