BKKCNX: Economy or Business?

Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:10 am
Original Poster

BKKCNX: Economy or Business?

What's the difference? I noticed that the price difference is marginal at best, but what is the physical difference?

Is it worth it?
Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:54 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Regardless of Aircraft, there will be a big difference in thge physical seat. Try to avoid the A300s that fly this route.

At the very worst the seating will be comprable to US domestic first, at best you'll get the full-on Flat First Class beds.

For me Thai domestics are a no brainer - C every time.

Regards,
Alex
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:28 am
QFF

Programs: Qantas FF/Royal Orchid Plus
Definately worth the USD20 extra for business class. You get access to the VIP room with free finger food and drinks (non-alchoholic). Newspapers. TV etc.

Seating is far superior to Y class. A snack served en-route.

To quote Alex:" For me Thai domestics are a no brainer - C every time".

In addition to the A300 (I think called AB6 by Thai Air) try to avoid the 734's as they do not have a distinct Business class cabin. Just a couple of rows of seats up front with 2x2 seating rather than the Y cabin 3x3.

I always ensure an Airbus A330 CNX /BKK and a B777 to BKK/CNX or vice versa. Both superb aircraft with great Business Class cabins. There are a few 'odd' flights using a 747 or an MD11 but I have not tried them as I suspect it would be difficult to better the A330/B777 Business class.

Cheers QFF

------------------
Qa not Qu
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:16 am
Original Poster

My choice is 777, AB6 or 734 (with no Biz).

The problem is the 777 leaves at 06:30 and I am not sure I want to get up that early for the flight.

The flight times on the AB6 are much better (08:15 and 09:20).

Thoughts?
Old Nov 15, 2003, 3:33 pm

I collected also information in flyertalk about using Y or C this routing.
Many recommend B747, B777 (but only version B777-300, which is B773 in the timetable) and Airbus 330 because of the nice layout.
See Thai-seatmap:
http://www.thaiair.com/flying/seatmaps.htm

Other flights use a more dense C-cabin.
Anyway, if you fly about 1 hour only, you less need a bed to fly but a suiteable time of flight. When you fly B737, the value of that small price difference might be a bit less. Busines Check-in and lounge remain unchanged.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 6:10 pm
QFF

Hi Airbust.

Why not book TG 112.
Dep: BKK 1315 Arr:CNX1425
Daily flight using an Airbus A330-300 (Thai call it A333) which is not to be confused with the A300-600 (Thai call it AB6). The A330-300(333) is an excellent aircraft with great Business class cabin.

The flight departure/arrival times are very convenient (for me anyway). Don't have to get out of bed early. Comparatively little traffic from downtown Bangkok to Don Muang and arrival time in CNX means you still have a lot of the day in front of you.

Returning I use TG113.
Dep: CNX 1515. Arr: BKK 1625. Again a daily service and aircraft used is the Airbus 330-300 (333). Occasionally if I return later I will book
TG 117 which is a daily service operated using a B777-300 (Thai 773).

There is nothing particularly wrong with the A300-600 (AB6). It still has a separate Business cabin but is an older aircraft and just connot match the ambiance of the A330-300 (333) or B777-300 (773).

If you decide on the 737-400 (Thai 734) I doubt it is worth paying even only USD20 extra unless you want to raid the VIP room larder.

Oh, if you do go Business Class ask for a seat in row 13 . (Only kidding !)

My favourite seats are window row 12 or 14 but that's only personal preference.

My apologies Airbust, I re-read your post. It seems you are locked into an early morning departure so I guess you're restricted to an AB6. Still worth the little extra money IMHO.

Cheers QFF

[This message has been edited by QFF (edited Nov 15, 2003).]
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.

My thing is, I only have 2 days in CNX. The day I arrive and the entire day after.

So, I wanted as much time as possible in CNX, without waking up at 4AM in BKK to catch the flight. So, I thought better timing was more important then aircraft. Maybe not.

We are staying at the Regent. Do you know the best way to get to/from the airport? Should we just take a taxi, or arrange for a hotel transfer (about $75USD)

Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:09 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
$75 for a one-way ride to the Regent from the CNX airport? You are paying dearly for your hotel room, so suggest you offset that cost by just taking a taxi. I can rent a car and driver in Chiang Mai for an entire day for $30.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 4:35 am
QFF

Got to agree with Colobill. Car and driver can be hired for entire day in Chiang Mai (usually 8.00 am to 6.00 pm) for USD25 to USD35.

By taxi I usually pay USD3 to USD5 from CNX to any city centre hotel. Bargain with the taxi drivers in the taxi area just to the left where you exit the terminal.

USD75 from CNX to Regent seems very excessive even allowing for the fact that the Regent Resort is an 'out of town' 30 minutes drive away from CNX.

Cheers QFF

------------------
Qa not Qu
Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:39 am
nlp

Equipment change is not uncommon for TG domestic.

I would rent a car and drive to the Regent by myself. It's not that difficult.

I think the name of the hotel has changed to Four Seasons.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:50 am
Original Poster

What are the taxi's like at CNX? There are 4 of us travelling with a decent amount of luggage.

If we wanted to rent a car/driver for a day, how would we go about it? I am sure if we go through the hotel it will be overpriced. Is there another way of arranging in advance.

Any suggestions on what to do with 2 days in CNX?

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2003, 9:29 am

originally posted by airbust:
What are the taxi's like at CNX? There are 4 of us travelling with a decent amount of luggage.

The taxis are the common red songthaews(meaning two rows), which are pick-up trucks with 2 rows of benches in the back. Not very comfortable for a longish drive, but with room enough for 4 with luggage. The green, yellow, white etc. songthaews operate fixed routes in/out of the city and are usually cheaper for longer trips. However, I think you'll only be able to pick up a red songthaew at the airport, but I'm not sure.

originally posted by airbust:
Any suggestions on what to do with 2 days in CNX?.

Shopping at the night bazaar is a must for any visitor. I would also recommend a trip to the top of Doi Suthep mountain to visit the temple and the royal garden.

[This message has been edited by galaba (edited Nov 16, 2003).]
Old Nov 16, 2003, 5:29 pm
nlp

The red songthaew is not comfortable. I don't recommend it esp when you're going to Mae Rim from the airport.

Please see

http://avisthailand.com/home/
http://www.northwheels.com
http://www.thaiair.com/thailand/cnx.htm
http://www.chiangmai-carnival.com/car.html
http://www.airportthai.co.th/airport...tml/index.html

for information about car rental.

I believe that there're still some more places to rent a car.

[This message has been edited by nlp (edited Nov 16, 2003).]
Old Nov 16, 2003, 8:39 pm
QFF

I think the Regent Resort Chiang Mai is now owned or managed by Four Seasons Group but I think it still trades as Regent Resort or sometimes Four Seasons Regent Resort.

In any event, the property is possibly just a little far out of town to make it conducive to what appears to be essentially an overnight stay in Chiang Mai. The Regent appears to be a great place to stay within the confines of the resort and just 'chill out' /swim in your own pool (I think the more expensive suites have their own pool) / watch the hotel water buffalo at work/use the health club-gym/use the Thai herbal steam rooms/have a game of tennis etc, but being located at the small village of Mae Rim some 15 Kilometers north of Chiang Mai, it probably is not the most convenient place to stay for an overnight visit to Chiang Mai City. On the other hand it is located closer to Doi Suthep which is a 'must see' for any tourist. Are you committed to the Regent ? If you are, then I would recommend the earlier flights. Incidentally most of the 'out of town' hotels offer a free shuttle van service to/from the city area. Don't know if the Regent is one of them. May be worth checking.

If you can or wish to change accomodation try: www.chiangmaihoteltravel.com. Very good rates for all Chiang Mai Hotels. In fact if you look up their rates for the Regent, I'm fairly certain they will be cheaper than you are currently paying! Since its opening a couple of years ago, I stay at 'Rydges Tapae Gate Hotel' in the city and whilst just a 'normal' first class hotel and by no means the standard of Regent Resort, it is very conveniently located for a quick tourist visit to Chiang Mai City.

Unlike nlp I would not recommend driving yourself. I agree with nlp that it is not that difficult but as a foreigner, should you have an accident the consequences can be unpleasant to say the least .
If you want to hire car and driver/guide I can recommend www.chiangmai-carnival.com/car.

I would not recommend a songtaew for airport to hotel travel. Very uncomfortable !
Taxis at CNX are small a/c cars with room for 4 passengers (just) !! I doubt your luggage could be accomodated in 1 taxi. But even hiring 2 taxis would be far less than paying for the Regent service !

Two days in Chiang Mai. Day one : Doi Suthep. 'Doi' is the local northern Thai dialect for 'mountain' and apart from the wonderful temple at the top, you get magnificent views of Chiang Mai. You are driven to (nearly) the top of the mountain and then transfer to an elevator to reach the actual summit where the temple is built. If time permits , a visit to the Chiang Mai Zoo located halfway up the mountain is recommended especially as currently, the Zoo is playing host to a pair of Panda Bears on loan from China. In the evening a visit to the Night Bazaar. The night bazaar area is basically one of the main streets of Chiang Mai lined with stalls selling just about anything ! Eat at the open air Galare Food Centre where you will find a free show with Thai band and Thai classical dancing.

Day 2 is a matter of choice. Elephant camp or natural hot springs or just wandering around Chiang Mai absorbing the atmosphere. Or if day 1. is too much use day 2 to visit the Pandas !!!!

Cheers QFF

------------------
Qa not Qu
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat
Agree, I always buy business class seats, only 800 baht each way, well worth it, seats very comfortable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.