AB6 to PVG?

Old Aug 12, 03, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TransitionMetal HyperElite Card(tm)
AB6 to PVG?

A quick CRS check and phonecall with Thai indicate that TG 664 (BKK-PVG) on the 21st August will be a A300-600.

Are Thai serious? How can they expect people to pay for longhaul business class and then give them 40" of pitch for a 4 1/2 hour flight?

Regards,
Alex
Old Aug 25, 03, 12:03 am

Programs: SIA PPS, OZ Asiana Club, CX MPC, IHG Royal Amb, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:
A quick CRS check and phonecall with Thai indicate that TG 664 (BKK-PVG) on the 21st August will be a A300-600.

Are Thai serious? How can they expect people to pay for longhaul business class and then give them 40" of pitch for a 4 1/2 hour flight?

Regards,
Alex
</font>
Hi Alex,

Any feedback on your Shanghai flight?

I will be flying with TG from BKK-PVG in October and the schedule shows up as Airbus-333. I am still thinking whether I should take Y or C class for travel. Given the good review so far with Y Class (better pitch) and that C class is not that great, I was thinking of taking Y Class.

Any comments?
Old Aug 25, 03, 8:13 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
C Class on A330-300 is great.
Old Aug 26, 03, 7:47 pm

Programs: Starwood Banned, Marriott Plat, UA 1K MM,
I have flown C on the AB6, and I am not impressed at all. For the money difference on a not too long flight I would not pay for C.
Old Sep 4, 03, 7:09 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hclee01:
Hi Alex,

Any feedback on your Shanghai flight?

I will be flying with TG from BKK-PVG in October and the schedule shows up as Airbus-333. I am still thinking whether I should take Y or C class for travel. Given the good review so far with Y Class (better pitch) and that C class is not that great, I was thinking of taking Y Class.

Any comments?
</font>
My flight ended up as BKK-HKG-PVG in TG/KA F, since I wouldn't pay for 270 minutes in a Thai AB6 (An hour in C is plenty thanks...) in either C or Y.

Had the 333 been flying; I would have flown that in C - the best business class in the TG fleet (Just check the CRS shows '333' for aircraft type, not '330'). Excellent pitch, really comfortable seats and slightly above average service (Compared to US cariers).

As an aside: TG are not in my good books; now I'd probably fly BKK-HKG-PVG in CX/KA J or F. If you can't get a deeply discounted (approx. 27000 Baht R/T) business ticket on TG, I would ask a local agent in BKK about the CX/KA option.

Regards,
Alex

[This message has been edited by alexwuk (edited 09-04-2003).]
Old Sep 4, 03, 9:38 am
spk

The good news is AB6 will fly this route only in September. The 333 will come back from October 1, 2003 until at least March 2004, according to the latest timetable.

Perhaps the temporary switch is due to aircrafts in 333 fleet are due for heavy maintenance or something.

[This message has been edited by spk (edited 09-04-2003).]
Old Sep 7, 03, 4:20 am

On a somewhat related note...I was walking to my gate at BKK on Friday and was asked to take a survey by a cute girl. Naturally I obliged...The survey was comparing SQ, BA, CX and one other airline I don't remember with TG. Of course TG did not fare well on my version of the survey but I was upset that they did not have a space to write comments where I would have written in detail about the horrible C class seats that TG offers for a price that is often above any other airline. I still don't understand their thinking! BKK-PVG on the A300-6 is a perfect example. I don't even take TG to KL because of the incredible disparity between them and MH on the exact same route for the exact same price.
When will they wise up and put out a decent product...they should be ashamed to charge so much for so little!
Old Sep 7, 03, 5:03 am
spk

Don't forget, though, that SQ until recently uses their horrible A310 products on short haul flights, too.

I agree that TG's A300-600 is not a comfortable aircraft but these birds serve their purpose for short haul runs for the time being. THAI should focus its resources to upgrade the long-haul fleets. That's really important.
Old Sep 7, 03, 10:13 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by spk:
Don't forget, though, that SQ until recently uses their horrible A310 products on short haul flights, too.

I agree that TG's A300-600 is not a comfortable aircraft but these birds serve their purpose for short haul runs for the time being. THAI should focus its resources to upgrade the long-haul fleets. That's really important.
</font>
The problem is that even the new "improved"
configuration is still laughably inferior to the competition.

Having flown in TG F on both the new (747) and old (744) layouts; both were absolutely miles behind the suite products that fly on most good carriers. The funny thing is: the new configuration has 14 seats in the nose in F, and yet UA, BA & QF et al. fly the same number of seats but with suite configuration.

Even more odd: the new seats actually feel quite cramped when you are sitting down - my feet touched the divider to the seat in front without any difficulty at all.

When Lufthansa's seating products in C & F beat your brand new configuration - it should be obvious that something's wrong with the airline.

Regards,
Alex
Old Sep 7, 03, 11:42 am
spk

When I refer to improvement, I mean improvement over even the "new" 747-400.

The problem of the current "new" F seat is that the seat cushion is stationery. There is a lot of dead space between the seat back and the divider while the legroom is cramped. Modern "suite" seat utilize the seat cushion that can move forward and backward so that the legroom is plenty when the seat is not in the bed position.

The new C class seats that they will install in the B777-200 is very good. 60 inch pitch, 2-2-2 arrangement and is a flat bed. That's the kind of seat they need to put in the long-haul fleet. I heard from a friend who works for THAI that their new A340 fleet will be configured with a very good premium class seats unlike the 747-400.

[This message has been edited by spk (edited 09-07-2003).]

Search this Thread