FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   PNH - SGN by plane or surface? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/86206-pnh-sgn-plane-surface.html)

strflyer Aug 30, 2003 6:39 am

PNH - SGN by plane or surface?

I am considering going PNH - SGN as part of a * A RTW.

Any suggestions if I
a. better fly PNH - BKK - SGN on TG?
b. better fly PNH - SGN on VN?
c. better really travel on surface?

a. would probably exceed my milage limit
b. had to be as surface sector on my own expenses, should be around 100 USD
c. could be a really impressing experience, so I would prefer c.

Any suggestions on how a real surface trip could be arranged?

Michael Sep 1, 2003 7:56 am

After much time lurking on FT I am prompted to post, as this is the first time I have seen PNH mentioned here!

In answer to your question, yes, it is possible to go PNH-SGN by land (bus/taxi) or even by a combination of land and boat. I haven't done it, but know people who have.

The distance isn't far, but the state of the roads and occasionally long lines at the border mean that the trip can take a whole day. Most of the buses leave very early in the morning; I understand that they get into SGN rather late in the afternoon. I hear the boat trip (via the border post at Chau Doc) is more enjoyable.

A website with pretty good information on overland travel in SE Asia is:
http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland.htm

Happy travels,
Michael

strflyer Sep 1, 2003 10:23 am

Hi Michael, welcome on board!

Thanks for your posting and the link - it seems to be hard to get a reliable pnh - sgn overland connection :-(

Michael Sep 1, 2003 10:38 am

No, I think I wasn't clear: the PNH-SGN overland journey is very *reliable* --that is, you can rely on it being a hot, long trip on a bumpy road. There are a few daily buses from PNH to SGN; the cost is around US $12, I think. The boat/bus combination via Chau Doc is around $15.

Lots of travelers go to SGN this way. It may be uncomfortable, but the scenery in rural Cambodia is often strikingly beautiful.

That said, it's hard to beat a $100 flight o/w PNH-SGN. (Though bear in mind that there's a $20 departure tax when leaving PNH by air.)

Happy travels,
Michael

ryan754 Sep 1, 2003 4:21 pm

Rent a motorcycle and drive, I did this once, but made the mistake of leaving my passport as a deposit for the motorcycle, you can get a small bike for US$4, and higher for bigger bikes. Ride only in the day time! Get a map, and it will probably be one of those adventures you will always remember, I know I will. I have info on a place to rent from if you need to know.

kv99 Sep 2, 2003 12:20 am

I've gone overland the other way SGN-PNH and there are a fair number of bus, minibus options for the trip. It takes a while mostly because of the bureaucracy at the border crossing, but it's otherwise not the toughest overland trip (its easier than BKK-REP-PNH overland!) I don't know about the boat option, you could check that out too once you get there.

Make sure your Vietnamese visa is in order, and check local conditions before departing for weather, etc.

The motorcycle option is a great one as well-- but imho, Cambodia is not the place to LEARN to ride a motorcycle. If you're experienced, go for it.

If you decide to fly, unless its in the middle of Tet or something, you should be able to just get tickets when you get there so you could play it by ear.

Michael -- welcome to FT! You're the first FTer I've seen actually from Cambodia.

Michael Sep 2, 2003 1:34 am

Thanks for the welcome.

Perhaps I should make clear, though, that I'm not actually FROM Cambodia....I just live here.

- Michael

thaifly Sep 3, 2003 2:12 am

PnPn-Sai overland cost about 10US$ in a not-so-good minibus, MUST have visum for VN before travel, the other way it now seems can get/buy at border.
these topics are very well covered on the thorntree threads (travel discussions) of the www.lonelyplanet.com, well-known of the practical guidebooks series.
Besides AirVn there seem also to be fledging Khmer-owned airlines doing this trip, like RoyalPnomPenh [as long as its there] and President Airls, tickets are best bought a few days before, locally from any travel agent.

kv99 Sep 3, 2003 5:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Michael:

Thanks for the welcome.

Perhaps I should make clear, though, that I'm not actually FROM Cambodia....I just live here.

- Michael
</font>
I guess I just assumed that. But that's probably a dumb assumption these days as well... Can I ask what you do in PNH?

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 09-03-2003).]