FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Finally TG starts upgrading their seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/86199-finally-tg-starts-upgrading-their-seats.html)

Gustaf Aug 5, 2003 2:53 pm

Finally TG starts upgrading their seats

THAI’s Board of Directors agreed to select Business and Economy Class seats for Boeing 777-200 aircraft in accordance to the proposal put forth by the Subcommittee on Purchasing Aircraft Seats, which negotiated the price as follows: Economy Class seat selection was approved for Recaro Company and Business Class seat selection was approved for B/E Aerospace, based on two main points being technical qualities
and consideration of price.

The redesign of THAI’s Business and Economy Class seats on its Boeing 777-200 aircraft at a total of 8 aircraft of this type will be based on a new design created for increased passenger comfort. The aircraft seat arrangement for Business Class will be 2-2-2, enabling seat recline at 165 degree. Economy Class aircraft seat arrangement will be 3-3-3 replacing the 3-4-3 seat arrangement, making travel on this aircraft type
more comfortable and spacious for passengers.

The airline has begun to refurbish the seats on its Boeing 777-200 aircraft, with completion expected within 12-15 months.

Source: http://203.155.121.81/press/press0803_en.htm#wu261

LondonElite Aug 6, 2003 1:57 am

Finally!

spk Aug 6, 2003 1:47 pm

This is a good news!

However, why do everybody complain about the business class seat on THAI's 777-200 while Delta's BizElite seats are as narrow?

alexwuk Aug 6, 2003 3:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by spk:
This is a good news!

However, why do everybody complain about the business class seat on THAI's 777-200 while Delta's BizElite seats are as narrow?
</font>

What? Delta BizElite is 2-2-2 on the 777s; which is wider than standard. Thai's new configuration will be 2-2-2.

The current 777-200 configuration on Thai is 2-4-2; which is amongst the worst around for business (Bearing in mind that BA's Economy plus on the 777s is 2-4-2). That's what we're complaining about. The new layout should more than suffice.

Regards,
Alex

nlp Aug 6, 2003 6:30 pm

Delta Business Elite seats are very narrow only on their 767s.

spk Aug 7, 2003 4:16 am

Yep. That's what I meant to say. The BizElite seats on 767 are very narrow yet receive little complaints.

alexwuk Aug 7, 2003 9:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by spk:
Yep. That's what I meant to say. The BizElite seats on 767 are very narrow yet receive little complaints.</font>
2-2-2 on a 767 (Industry standard for business class) equates to a much broader seat than 2-4-2 on a 777.

Regards,
Alex

spk Aug 10, 2003 5:40 am

Have you been in the Delta BizE on 767? It's 18.5 inch wide, a whopping 0.5 inch wider than most economy seat. Standard? And given that BizE is already at 18.5 inch, I can't envision that THAI's biz seat on 777-200 can be much narrower than that.

travelinmanS Aug 12, 2003 10:47 am

I don't mind the 777 biz seats. They are narrow but have a lot of pitch...there must be at least 50 in of pitch. The new 2-2-2 configuration sounds nice though...especially with the 165 degrees of recline!

kv99 Aug 15, 2003 12:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:

What? Delta BizElite is 2-2-2 on the 777s; which is wider than standard. Thai's new configuration will be 2-2-2.

The current 777-200 configuration on Thai is 2-4-2; which is amongst the worst around for business (Bearing in mind that BA's Economy plus on the 777s is 2-4-2). That's what we're complaining about. The new layout should more than suffice.

Regards,
Alex
</font>
Club World on BA 777s and 747 main deck are ALSO 2-4-2 across. Of course the directions reverse and they go flat which makes them different entirely from anything TG offers, but they are still quite narrow imho.

DL BizElite seats on the 767 are very narrow esp. compared with USAirways and United's business class product. Still, they go back quite a bit (160 degrees?) and are **** comfortable for those of us who aren't too big.

I think there's a lot of wasted space in the DL 777 BizElite cabin. The 2-3-2 config that United uses seems just as comfortable if you're not in the middle, esp. on their C+ planes.

Personally, I think TGs new Business class seats on the 330s are just fine, and are perfectly good for short-haul flights---they could just stick these seats on all their short-haul aircraft incl. short-haul 777s. Top priority imho is to fit all the longhaul planes, esp. the 747s, with nicer business class seats--again, I think the United Business seat is a great model.

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 08-15-2003).]

TWAforever Aug 16, 2003 10:20 am

Here is the scoop that most people don't know.....The DL BE seats on the 767 and 777 are the same.....the only difference is that the armrest in the middle is wider on the 777...you can disagree but I got this straight from DL employees