FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Best seat in F LAX-BKK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/86169-best-seat-f-lax-bkk.html)

stimpy Mar 19, 03 5:59 pm

Best seat in F LAX-BKK

What is the layout these days? It's been a few years since I've flown Thai. I think it's a 747 to NRT and a 777 to BKK.

spk Mar 20, 03 3:07 pm

The flight to Los Angeles can either be BKK-NRT-LAX or BKK-KIX-LAX depending on day of week. The flight is operated by B747-400 on both sectors. The seating is still old first class (18 seats) so my favourite seats is row 2 aisle. (2B or 2J). And if you don't care about the movie, try 1A and 1K which gives good legroom and privacy (but can't see the movie screen).

TravelinWilly Mar 22, 03 7:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by spk:
(but can't see the movie screen).</font>
...which probably won't matter anyway, since one can get the personal DVD player...

stimpy Mar 23, 03 12:50 pm

Oh? I didn't know Thai had personal DVD's now. Are they on all NRT-LAX flights?

TravelinWilly Mar 23, 03 1:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
Oh? I didn't know Thai had personal DVD's now. Are they on all NRT-LAX flights?</font>
TG has had the personal video player (it may be tape, actually, not DVD - sorry about that) in 1st since at least 1998 (which, apparently, is the last time the h(http://www.thaiair.com/flying/inflight1.htm#Royal First Class) website was updated...); it is available on intercontinental flights in 1st and biz.; if you're on a three-class flight NRT - LAX, odds are you'll have it. It's a real lifesaver on the longer flights.

[This message has been edited by TravelinWilly (edited 03-23-2003).]

TravelinWilly Mar 23, 03 1:10 pm

Dupe.

[This message has been edited by TravelinWilly (edited 03-23-2003).]

stimpy Mar 23, 03 1:36 pm

Wow. I took Thai in F on a 744 from BKK to HKG a couple of times in recent years and haven't seen this. But I'll look for it on LAX-NRT.

TravelinWilly Mar 23, 03 1:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
Wow. I took Thai in F on a 744 from BKK to HKG a couple of times in recent years and haven't seen this. But I'll look for it on LAX-NRT.</font>
Stimpy, you will ABSOLUTELY have this on the LAX - NRT flight. If not, than TG has degraded more than I thought. Do let us know how the flight goes!

Will

spk Mar 23, 03 11:21 pm

You'll get the Sony personal 8mm video player. I flew to Zurich and Rome 2 weeks ago and got it in First. You'll get it on LAX-NRT sector for sure.

IIRC, the player will not be available on sectors shorter than 4 hours. Probably because they can't distribute and collect these players in time for such short flight.

stimpy Mar 24, 03 12:46 pm

Thanks. Now for the 777 from NRT to BKK, do they have in seat video? Is the first row the best?

spk Mar 25, 03 3:54 am

All THAI's 777 have in seat video.

However, the 777-200's are configured 2-4-2 in business class. The seat width is very narrow. These seats will be replaced soon.

tinkybelle Jun 16, 03 7:02 pm

Checked on the thai website and cant see a picture of the first class seats.
Does anyone know if they have sleepers in the aircraft from SYD-Rome yet?

TravelinWilly Jun 16, 03 7:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
Checked on the thai website and cant see a picture of the first class seats.
Does anyone know if they have sleepers in the aircraft from SYD-Rome yet?
</font>
Try this for pictures of the newer 1st class. Try: this for what you'll get SYD - BKK in 1st. You also run the risk of being on an MD-11, which is the WORST.

BKK - ROM is a crapshoot.

Will

Edited to fix URL

[This message has been edited by TravelinWilly (edited 06-16-2003).]

tinkybelle Jun 16, 03 9:28 pm

The 2 for suits my friend but I think I may leave them on Lufthansa!!
I havent heard very good reports of bus or first on thai.

LAX 1K Jul 2, 03 8:39 pm

So if you had a choice between UA in Economy Plus or THai in Business.. is there a better service in Thai??

Thanks.