BKK to Koh Phangan

Old May 5, 2003, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BKK to Koh Phangan

I'm attempting to get to Koh Phangan & I was planning on taking the Thai flight from BKK to Surat Thani & then taking a bus to the ferry in Dornsak. (this is all based on I have read online, below). Thai Air flies for about 147 RT business-class from BKK to there. Does anyone know if there's a closer place to fly into to get to Koh Phangan that Thai services?

"You might want to save some money and see some nature, then you take the cheaper Thai Airways plane to Suratthani Airport. It takes apprx. 1:20h, you fly a 727 or similar and get a proper meal on board. When you arrive in Surat, a bus picks you up and brings you to the Ferry Pier in Dornsak on the mainland. The busride is very nice, you drive through "limestone jungle" and get a real James Bond feeling. The ferry ride is even nicer as you pass the Marine National Park, famous infamous from the movie "The Beach". "

HOWEVER...when I contacted the Thai Airways people, they replied with:

Kho Phangan is near Phuket, the airport code for Phuket is HKT. Thai has service BKK-HKT daily, please check flight schedule at www.thaiairways.com.

Does anyone know which airport is closer to a place where I can get a ferry to Koh Phangan? I'm attempting to go to one of the monthly Full-Moon Parties there. If you have ever been to one of these, please reply with your experience also. Thanks!
Old May 5, 2003, 10:48 pm

Programs: TG ROP *G, KLM FB Gold, LH Silver
Maybe Thai think you want to go to Phangnga which is close to Phuket, the nearest airport to Ko Phangan is on Ko Samui which is serviced by Bangkok Airways.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:12 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I have been to all those places and I think that Krabi is best or maybe even Tarutao Island. I think thats how you spell it. The beach is not bad at koh phangang and the snorkelling is good. However, the diving is bad. Beach parties are almost happening every week. Full moon and black moon.
Old May 8, 2003, 6:50 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
The only island in the Gulf of Thailand is on Koh Samui. You can take the train and the then the ferry (surat thani - koh samui), which I did about 15 years ago...but the airport is better.

Then take the hourly, or close to it, ferry from koh samui to koh phangan. It should take about an hour.

Beware though, they seriously crack down on drugs these days. I would even stay away from people doing it..although the full moon parties are full of trippers. You DO NOT want to end up in a Thai Jail.

Also, if you are staying in Koh Samui, stay at Charlie's Huts. very very cheap and simple. Say hi to Mama for me! Have fun!

------------------
Take the road less traveled...but only if it means more miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.