Wiki Posts
Search

TG is looking for a new president

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2001, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
TG is looking for a new president

This morning's article appeared in the print edition of 'The Nation' here in Bangkok, but not on their website (yet) The Nation. I guess there remain advantages to being onsite reading physical newspapers than in being half a world away cruising the web. Anyway, no time or desire to OCR the article, so a few excerpts follow.

BOARD PULLS A SURPRISE
THAI hunts for new chief
Airline decides to recruit replacement president early as a confidence boost for potential private investors
Choosak Jirasakulthai
The Nation
In a surprise move, Thai Airways International's board of directors yesterday announced it will recruit the airline's new president more than a year ahead of the retirement of incumbent Bhisit Kuslayonon.
<snip>
ChaiAnn, who will chair the committee to select the new president , said the move for early recruitment fits with the airline's privatisation programme since it will give potential private investors a clear direction on where the airline will be heading.
<snip>
The airline will later this month discuss a number of stragegic plans that focus on 10 key areas affecting its business. Among these are plans to develop new products and services, boost revenues and the number of passengers.

There are plans to cut costs, restructure the finances and management, implement projects related to the new Suvarnabhumi airport, develop e-business, increase staff productivity and improve communications with staff, investors and other parties.
Meanwhile, the board clarified that it had postponed the sale of four MD11 aircraft so that a more appropriate aircraft could be sought as a replacement in accordance with the upcoming state enterprise plan.
To boost competitiveness in the business and economy-class markets, the board also endorsed the airline's plan to ask Boeing to adjust seating on the new Boeing 777-200 aircraft for more passenger comfort and convenience.

In the business class, the number of seats will be reduced 8 across to 7 seats, while economy class seating will be adjusted to 9 instead of 10 seats across.

END OF ARTICLE

Note there is no mention of service or equipment upgrades, no mention of their 773's or 744's. If pulling out a few seats is the best they can do, the near future is not bright.

Though the board move to oust the current president is at least step in the right direction, but I'm afraid that unless there is a turnaround that starts in the PM's office, which is unlikely, the present downhill track of THAI will continue. To arrest that, IMHO a broad committment from government to make THAI a leading airline (a la Singapore and Hong Kong gov'ts) must be combined with a full overhaul of management, and the assurance of the availability of capital and operating funds for a number of years. I do not think any of that will happen.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 8:16 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Airline chairman wastes no time finding new president

http://www.bangkokpost.com/today/100701_News11.html
Old Jul 13, 2001, 4:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The job was advertised in The Bangkok Post. Applicants must (among other things) be at least 45 years old, be a Thai national and not have a criminal record (except petty offences...they don't specify) and a number of other interesting criteria. If anyone is interested......
Old Jul 27, 2001, 8:50 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

TG is almost desperately seeking a president and has taken to advertising in the Bangkok Post. The state-owned carrier is seeking a "psychologically sound" candidate who has "competency and experience in managing a huge organization."

No president of any US airline is expected to even apply. Yet, none may be "qualified" based upon the rather stringent requirements!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.