Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Flying AKL-SYD / SYD-BKK on two different tickets.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX M&M

Hi folks,
I still couldnt get a direct flight from AKL-BKK on the 13th of December. Thai offered me to fly via SYD, but i need to buy another ticket with another airline. The problem is that im not having a visa for Australia, so i cant leave the airport.

In case i buy a ticket with Air New Zealand, is it possible to get checked-in the whole way to BKK, even though im flying two diffrent airlines on two diffrent ticktes (no Codeshare).

Would appretiate any help.

Regards,

Sam
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: QFWP, TG*S, ex-UA 1P
Unlikely you can interline on two separate tickets

As a rule you can't interline (check your luggage through from one carrier to the next) on two separate tickets. This is because the person checking you in at your point of origin has no access to bookings originating from from some other airport.

Easiest solution - carry on!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've never had problems interlining between two separate tickets. In my case, the connection points have been within the US, but the destinations have been international. The key has been to have the ticket number (not the reservation number) for the second flight. If you show that to the check-in agent for the first airline, the agent should be able to pull up the reservation on the worldwide system and check your baggage through to the next carrier, even if the agent can't check you in for the second flight.

Transiting in one country between an origin and a destination in two separate countries, as you propose, might complicate things. But with NZ and TG being part of *, I would expect them to handle interlining like this smoothly. That's the point of the alliances, isn't it?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 5:49 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by lx343
Hi folks,
I still couldnt get a direct flight from AKL-BKK on the 13th of December. Thai offered me to fly via SYD, but i need to buy another ticket with another airline. The problem is that im not having a visa for Australia, so i cant leave the airport.

In case i buy a ticket with Air New Zealand, is it possible to get checked-in the whole way to BKK, even though im flying two diffrent airlines on two diffrent ticktes (no Codeshare).

Would appretiate any help.

Regards,

Sam
Hi Sam, TG990 direct AKL-BKK is still showing availability on the 13th and the on request TG4826 connecting with TG996 SYD-BKK is very tight. Are you on sub load or awards?
Back to your question, on a good day with the right agent it can be done, but don't overlook what B747-438 noted, damm good idea, abandon the big bag and carry on a couple of smaller ones regarsd bkkrop
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hi Sam, TG990 direct AKL-BKK is still showing availability on the 13th and the on request TG4826 connecting with TG996 SYD-BKK is very tight. Are you on sub load or awards?
Back to your question, on a good day with the right agent it can be done, but don't overlook what B747-438 noted, damm good idea, abandon the big bag and carry on a couple of smaller ones regarsd bkkrop
Hi BKKROP,
The agent in AKL told me that im on the waitlist as this flight is booked out in Eco. As i have a B-Class ticket, i cant upgrade it with miles..I just replayed for a tourist-visa for Australia and i should get it next Monday. I thought i'll book a flight with Air New Zealand to SYD and then fly on to BKK. If they cant book me through, it doesnt matter, as long as i get my visa, but of course it would me more convenient to transit rather then going throuh immigration again.

Can you tell me if there is still availability for the SYD-BKK flight in B-Class?

Regards Sam
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:07 am

Hi Sam,

Nothing available in "B" on all 3 flights.
In fact theres hardly a handful left in the 3 flights combined.

Best of luck with the visa, can't help you there
regards bkkrop
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi BKKROP,
while im still on the waitlist for the AKL-BKK flight on the 13th of December, is there any chance for a last-minute upgrade, even though im not really on this flight?

regards, Sam

Hi Sam,

Nothing available in "B" on all 3 flights.
In fact theres hardly a handful left in the 3 flights combined.

Best of luck with the visa, can't help you there
regards bkkrop
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:44 pm

A month out from your flight and three days either side is full, doesn't look promising. All airlines are running at full capacity at the moment, last two flights I have had to access through Sydney, as my home port of Mel is booked out and have reached the stage of bumping.
December will get busier as it's our holiday season, so it's not going to get any easier. I would firm up on A BOOKING, best of luck, regards bkkrop
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

A month out from your flight and three days either side is full, doesn't look promising. All airlines are running at full capacity at the moment, last two flights I have had to access through Sydney, as my home port of Mel is booked out and have reached the stage of bumping.
December will get busier as it's our holiday season, so it's not going to get any easier. I would firm up on A BOOKING, best of luck, regards bkkrop
Things have change a little in the mean time. I got my original flight back, flying AKL-BKK on the 13th of december. while im still on the waitlist for this flight, and im on the 15th position, whatever this mean! however the agent told me that are 25 seats left in business for now, and it doesnt look to bad to hop on with an last minute upgrade which im willing to pay. im just curious, whats the best way to get on. Go as early as i can to check inand to be the first one, or are they waiting till those show up with a Gold, Silver card. What do you think? Even if i dont have any priority, i would rather take those who are paying, than doing free upgrades.

Regards,

Sam
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:18 pm

lx343, you are a legend, good on you for getting on the list. Yes what they are saying to you is there are 15 people in front of you. Statistics show of which 7.5 are already booked on some other flight, and will switch, leaving 1.5 to cancel out altogether, and there will be 6 people out there when you arrive to check in.

Check in should open 3 hours before departure and I would go your way and upfront, go for a stand by paid upgrade, get it over and done with, secure yourself a seat, and then relax with a cold one in the New Zealand lounge. BUT you could also wait until ......

It is one of those tricky gambles isn't it.

Are you feeling lucky, I hear you asking yourself???

I might get on by just paying Y, and be upgraded to C.

It's Christmas, if you can afford it, it will be worth it, good to chat, have a happy holiday season, regards bkkrop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.