Standby on earlier flight?

Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:29 am

Request Update on TG's current policy on same day standby for earlier flights

Sorry to bring up this old thread as this was the only relevant one when I searched.

Any one knows TG’s current policy on same day standby for earlier flights for those travelling on cheaper economy fares?

Most North American airlines do not allow free same day standby for earlier flights if travelling on cheaper economy fare. There is usually a flat change fee and is usually based on physical seat availability, rather than availability in matching fare class. Does TG have an official policy on this?

Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
You'll have to read the rules for the ticket you have. Each booking class is different, and they vary sometimes from route to route even for the same booking class.

I think all W tickets I've seen do not allow changes whatsoever. I've only bought those for domestic routes though. V tickets I think may allow a change, but for a fee. I've bought lots and lots of international Q tickets, and never had a problem changing them without any fee, but once had one where the TA told me it couldn't be changed without a fee, but TG allowed the change for free. I've never seen anything where changes to an earlier flight the same day are treated any different than a change to another day. A change is a change and it's either allowed or it's not, and with a fee or not, regardless if it's an hour early or a week early.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by A_Lee

I think all W tickets I've seen do not allow changes whatsoever. I've only bought those for domestic routes though.

but TG allowed the change for free. I've never seen anything where changes to an earlier flight the same day are treated any different than a change to another day. A change is a change and it's either allowed or it's not, and with a fee or not, regardless if it's an hour early or a week early.

I concur with A_Lee, I did change a W fare in CGK last month, blighters charged me a ransom I thought until I worked out the exchange correctly. Otherwise they normally just put me on an earlier flight or whatever. Once again I find the policy in Thailand is often more liberal than outside of Thailand. The offices in AUST are very particular about charges for changes and all that, it's so refreshing when in BKK to have the concierge ring up and change the flights and times with a shrug saying "it will be no problem"
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BKKROP
Once again I find the policy in Thailand is often more liberal than outside of Thailand.
Totally agree. Outside of Thailand they will typically go strictly by the book. Unless someone overlooks the fact that your ticket isn't changeable, you don't stand much of a chance. In Thailand, they very often let things slide, especially if they see you're a gold card holder and frequent TG customer.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:40 am

Thanks. So I should be looking for the "cheapest flexible" economy fare that allows me to change for either free or nominal charge.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
In my experience that is Q class or better (Y/B/M/H).

Cheers, TK
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Very old thread, I realize. My brother has a "W" fare from BKK to MNL and now wants to take the earlier flight that day.

And changes to the information posted above, i.e., show up at BKK, go to the Service Center window, plead with a sad story, and hope for the best?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Very old thread, I realize. My brother has a "W" fare from BKK to MNL and now wants to take the earlier flight that day.

And changes to the information posted above, i.e., show up at BKK, go to the Service Center window, plead with a sad story, and hope for the best?
does your brother have status?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

W fare should be changeable, for a fee and also any fare difference if W is not available.

You can make a dummy booking and check the fare conditions and let him know the pain
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BinSabai
does your brother have status?
Not on TG. Star Gold on UA.

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
W fare should be changeable, for a fee and also any fare difference if W is not available.

You can make a dummy booking and check the fare conditions and let him know the pain
Thanks very much.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Not on TG. Star Gold on UA.
in this case he might try to avoid the fee or any fare difference. it depend how convining his story is and how he talks to the TG staff and of course also on the staff him/herself
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:51 am

Another questions for the experts here: I am booked in business class booking class J SIN-BKK, if I arrive early at the airport can I ask to get on an earlier flight same day if there is space?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by view
Another questions for the experts here: I am booked in business class booking class J SIN-BKK, if I arrive early at the airport can I ask to get on an earlier flight same day if there is space?
J fares rules will usually have a change fee, and if J isnt available, then there is a fare difference as well. Free changes usually require you to have purchased a more expensive C or D fare.

That said, it is possible staff may be happy to make the change for free. If the change is important, I would usually make the change and pay the fees.

edited to add: a dummy booking states that the flight/date change fee is upto SGD150 which seems pretty steep, but there you go.

view and BinSabai like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:23 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:53 am

Did your brother have any luck?

In my case Im booked from MNL on a cheapo (but changeable for a fee) economy ticket - thoughts anyone on chances of getting free standby for an earlier flight?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Did your brother have any luck?

In my case Im booked from MNL on a cheapo (but changeable for a fee) economy ticket - thoughts anyone on chances of getting free standby for an earlier flight?
I could be possible, depending on the fare conditions, and whether or not staff at MNL are willing to vary from them or not. Personally, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.