FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Thai Lounge Access: Free for Biz & 1st Ticket holders? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/610643-thai-lounge-access-free-biz-1st-ticket-holders.html)

schnitzer Oct 8, 2006 7:04 pm

Thai Lounge Access: Free for Biz & 1st Ticket holders?

Just a quick question. The search button seems to be broken, otherwise i would try and search..

I'm going from BKK>HKT on Business Class.
I am not a member of ROP, will i be allowed free entry to their ThaiAir Lounge?

Is the Lounge Access free for anyone that has a Business/1st Class ticket? Or must you earn it? Or do you need to pay?

Soju Oct 8, 2006 7:45 pm

Yes, it is free if you're flying TG in Business or First Class. I just flew TG yesterday in business class and got into the lounge with just my boarding pass and without ever showing my ROP card which is still only silver (but very soon to be gold). Depending on what time you get to the lounge though, seating may be quite difficult as right now many other lounges are not yet open. If you're flying a different airline other than TG, then you'll need to check with your airline if they allow you to use the TG lounge, some other lounge, or no lounge.

Land-of-Miles Oct 9, 2006 12:19 am

The OP is flying to HKT and thus this is a domestic flight. TG C Domestic allows you acess to the TG Domestic Lounge. I haven't visited the domestic lounge at Suvarnabhumi yet, but the old one at Don Muang was nothing to get too excited about but was preferable to sitting around in the main terminal. Given the state of Suvarnabhumi right now lounge access takes on a whole new level of importance.

Soju Oct 9, 2006 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The OP is flying to HKT and thus this is a domestic flight. TG C Domestic allows you acess to the TG Domestic Lounge. I haven't visited the domestic lounge at Suvarnabhumi yet, but the old one at Don Muang was nothing to get too excited about but was preferable to sitting around in the main terminal. Given the state of Suvarnabhumi right now lounge access takes on a whole new level of importance.

I guess I read the OP too quickly and missed the HKT/domestic part. But as you say, the same applies: if you're flying TG C, you have access to it. I did it twice last week. Both times the domestic lounge was not overcrowded like the international lounge was. Overall I liked the domestic lounge but there are some things I'd like to see changed (seating to name one).

schnitzer Oct 9, 2006 8:03 am

Thanks all for your quick response.

Here's another question. Currently the Thai version of the Regular AMEX Platinum Charge Card has lounge benifits.

I have the Canadian version of the AMEX Platinum Charge Card which doesn't list lounge benifits for Thai Airways.. (just delta, nwa, & conti)

If i'm holding an Economy ticket, do you think I can just flash my card and they will let me in? Or do they actually do some kind of validation ?

Thai-Kiwi Oct 9, 2006 10:23 am

Let your conscience be your guide...if you believe you are truly entitled to access, go for it.

bobinla Oct 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Lounge Access in LAX for TG

Reading this thread, I wanted to check...I used miles to book a Biz ticket LAX-BKK -- do I get access to a lounge at LAX? And if so, where is it??? :confused:

Land-of-Miles Oct 10, 2006 3:13 pm

If you hold an F or J ticket on any *A Carrier you may use any *A lounge at the point of departure. I haven't flown TG from LAX but my money would be on the UA Lounge as the one you get issued a formal invitation for.

The fact that the ticket is a redemption ticket is irrelevant for lounge access purposes etc.

bobinla Oct 10, 2006 5:06 pm

LAX Lounge Access for TG

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
If you hold an F or J ticket on any *A Carrier you may use any *A lounge at the point of departure. I haven't flown TG from LAX but my money would be on the UA Lounge as the one you get issued a formal invitation for.

It's listed as Fare Basis I -- from my ticket:

Fare Details: Fare Basis I
FC 15DEC LAX TG BKK 0.00I TG LAX 0.00I NUC0.00END ROE1.0 XT 7.00XY 5.00XA 5.00YC EXEMPTYQ

Does that gain me access? :confused:

ALSO: What lounge would/should I access when departing? From the Star Alliance website, it lists only the Varig and the Singapore Airlines Lounges as accessible to business class passengers -- as there is no Thai Airways lounge in the Tom Bradley Inter'al Terminal, would I be let into those and if so, which should I choose?

BTW, I LOVE FLYTERTALK. I'd be lost without it. :)

Thai-Kiwi Oct 10, 2006 9:47 pm

Biz class no matter what booking class (fully paid to award redemption) allows access to any *A lounge.

You shopuld be able to access any *A lounge, presumably many of these, although perhaps not in a handy terminal area (AC, NH, NZ, US, SQ).

Looks like things are being knocked down and rebuilt:
http://www.lawa.org/lax/newsDisplay.cfm?newsID=849

From LH:
Star Alliance Gold Lounge
Airport Los Angeles International
Location Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal -- 4th Floor -- North Side

From AirNZ:
http://www.airnz.co.nz/travelinfo/ch...nal_lounge.htm

From SQ:
With effect from 10 October 2006, Silver Kris Lounge Los Angeles will cease operations. Invitation cards will be given to eligible passengers for lounge access to the Interim First or Business Class Lounges. The Interim First Class Lounge is located on the Mezzanine level of Tom Bradley International Terminal. As the Interim Business Class Lounge is located away from the Tom Bradley International Terminal, a frequent bus service will be provided to transfer eligible passengers to the lounge.

From AC:
Los Angeles, CA 05:30-22:00 (not mentioned where)

Michael Oct 10, 2006 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by bobinla
Reading this thread, I wanted to check...I used miles to book a Biz ticket LAX-BKK -- do I get access to a lounge at LAX? And if so, where is it??? :confused:

The TG LAX-BKK flight leaves from the Tom Bradley International Terminal, which has notoriously poor lounges (at least for *A flights). TG does not have its own lounge at TBIT, but instead directs pax to another lounge. However, when I last flew this route a few weeks ago, TG was not even doing that - instead they were giving vouchers for food/drink at the landside foodcourt. At that hour (after 9 PM or so) there were few choices available, and the voucher had to be spent all at one place - so you couldn't get a sandwich at one place and some ice cream at another.

In other words - there was no lounge access, and the alternative offered was one that I found pretty unattractive. YMMV, of course.

- Michael

Sydfly Oct 11, 2006 8:51 pm

They just opened a new interim lounge at LAX for all C/status pax flying *Alliance. According to the thread in the LH forum the lounge offerings are horrible, so nothing to look forward to until the new "ueber lounge" opens next year.