Suvarnabhumi - latest news. Important.

Old Aug 15, 06, 11:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by JackR
The new airport code seems to be NBK instead of BKK.
As I understand it the BKK code will switch to the new airport. I presume they need a temporary code in the interim while testing it out, and especially if some flights are moved across before others.
Old Aug 22, 06, 6:33 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
As I understand it the BKK code will switch to the new airport. I presume they need a temporary code in the interim while testing it out, and especially if some flights are moved across before others.
Yes, it looks like NBK is the temporary code that will be used during the transition.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006...s_30009139.php

I've also seen that Don Muang will eventually become DMK.
Old Aug 22, 06, 1:19 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt lost traveller, Starwood Plat, Virgin Atlantic Silver, Hilton,
Oooohhh, this should be interesting. I fly into BKK on NH on 26 Sept, fly out on LX on 27 Sept, and return on LX on 1 Oct. and fly out on TG on 2 Oct.....

I guess some extra Motrin and antacid should do the trick.....
Old Aug 22, 06, 7:37 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
don't forget to pack your XXXXL-size patience, and plenty of MPR Bars for eating (Mai Pen Rai - Thai for 'oh well' or 'never mind' or 'so it goes' or.....)
Old Aug 23, 06, 7:44 pm

Thailand never ceases to amaze me!

Even though I have no experience in building new airports, I would have thought that one of the most important things to aim for is convenience for passengers.

I hear that if you want to take a taxi from the airport, you first have to take a bus 3 km down the road to another area.

After a long flight, imagine having to queue for the bus, load your luggage on a bus for a 5-10 minute trip, unload again, requeue again for the taxi... argh!!

Typical Thai craziness, or I suggest typical Thai corruption... most likely the limo companies (which can pick up directly from the terminal) have bribed there way, to make catching the cheaper taxi's so inconvient that they will get more customers.

Common Sense is not so Common in Thailand

Last edited by mileagemax; Aug 23, 06 at 7:50 pm
Old Aug 23, 06, 9:19 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi mileagemax,

I do understand your very important comments, BUT this idea of dispersing passengers, albeit economy paying paxs is what the future holds for us all. The security authorities world wide want seperation of incoming and outgoing passengers and of passengers and visitors and it will eventually end up that only people with a ticket will be allowed into the terminal. I often use the example of KL where incoming paxs are transported by trains to satelite terminal for the mundane things like taxis. It is interesting to note however that premium paxs will be looked after at arrivals so there has been imput by airlines to look after the FF's. For economy or DIY premiums it will be handled well at BKK with a continuous stream of low slung, wide door, mainly standing buses that will whiz you away from the exit immediately out of the customs. The idea is that you will assume "it's all part of the arrival procedure" and having been pre advised at 3 points since you exited the aircraft, we will behave like the sheep we have become and board the buses and be away before we know what hit us. You can see their point of view also as arrivals become a walk in the park. Trust me it will work. regards
Old Aug 23, 06, 10:27 pm

Programs: PC
Plus, you could always just pick up a taxi that just dropped someone off at Departures...I do it all the time in Don Muang, thus avoiding the 'airport tax' and the usual crappy taxis that are on offer at Arrivals.
Old Aug 23, 06, 10:59 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
arghh

oh my god, this looks like a second CDG to me.

about the buses, it is a total mess if you arrive with 50KG+ and have to put your baggage into a bus and than go to the taxi.

if i go to thailand i have my golfbag + big samsonite + trolley + laptop bag + sometimes a rucksuck, so this totally sucks if you have to put this things into the bus and remember thailand is super hot outside .

the old situation at BKK airport for taxis was bad already with people waiting.... hoped that they would be smarter this time ..

dp
Old Aug 24, 06, 5:20 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by lecter
Plus, you could always just pick up a taxi that just dropped someone off at Departures...I do it all the time in Don Muang, thus avoiding the 'airport tax' and the usual crappy taxis that are on offer at Arrivals.
I learned that trick here on FT. Works great at Don Muang. I wonder if it will still be possible at the new airport.
Old Aug 26, 06, 7:37 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold.
It may work but after a long flight and in the heat catching a bus is the last thing a passenger wants to do.
Can you imagine the outcry if this was tried in Melbourne?

Last edited by rick253; Aug 26, 06 at 7:47 am
Old Aug 26, 06, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by rick253
It may work but after a long flight and in the heat catching a bus is the last thing a passenger wants to do.
Can you imagine the outcry if this was tried in Melbourne?
Exactly, there would be an outcry in any common-sense country.

But in Thailand, no one batters an eyelid (apart from educated Thai's and farang). Everyone seems to just accept what authorities choose to do and shrug it off with a typical "mai pen rai".
Old Aug 27, 06, 1:30 am

I very recently read in a long article in either the Bangkok Post or The Nation, that the shuttle ride to the taxi stand is 6 kilometers away (instead of 3 kilometers) ....

does anyone know for sure if this is correct? also does anyone know where the taxi stand is?? will there be any monitoring of the taxis? or will it be free-for-all haggling at the taxi stand for fares?

gosh, I cant wait for the airport train direct to Makkasan, but Im sure thats at least a few years down the line....
Old Aug 27, 06, 1:50 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Reports are showing that the shuttle buses will take 12 minutes to reach the bus terminal and the long term parking. The taxis will be available at the bus terminal. Hotel buses and limos from the arrival area. There are very good sites available on Suvarnabhumi transportation see page 2, although I don't have distances, I don't believe it is that far. regards
Old Aug 27, 06, 2:53 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: United 1k, TG Gold, SPG/SVO/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by transpac
.... FWIW, there is a town in Thailand called Suvarnabhumi (sawannapoom) so extra efforts might put you far, far away from the airport.
I am Thai and I have no idea what/where that town you are referring to is. Suvarnabhumi (the area around where the new airport is located) "was supposed" to be set up as a new province (city) but that does not seem to be happening. If there is another town called by the same name as you mentioned, I really would like to know.

Last edited by kiam; Aug 27, 06 at 2:59 am
Old Aug 27, 06, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiam
I am Thai and I have no idea what/where that town you are referring to is. Suvarnabhumi (the area around where the new airport is located) "was supposed" to be set up as a new province (city) but that does not seem to be happening. If there is another town called by the same name as you mentioned, I really would like to know.

Suwannaphum is a small town in Issan, maybe 35 Km southwest of Yasothon, 50 Km S of Roi Et. (Longitude: 103 48, Latitude: 15 36), and ~ 400 Km ENE of the new airport.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: