Search

Suvarnabhumi - latest news. Important.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:41 pm

Airport lounges behind schedule

Windfall for THAI and Master Mind

BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

The rush to open Suvarnabhumi Airport on Sept 28 has taken its toll on premium passengers who have very limited access to a handful of lounges that were opened just in time but are not fully functional.

Only the lounges belonging to Thai Airways International, Bangkok Airways, Cathay Pacific and China Airlines came on stream in the departure area.

Two other lounges, for first- and business-class passengers, operated by privately owned Master Mind by Louis Tavern are also open, albeit not fully.

Although the basic amenities, including furniture, and food and beverages, are in place at the opened lounges, facilities such as wireless Internet, telephone and fax are not available. The hardware is installed but not yet operating.
full article:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/03Oct2006_biz14.php
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by nextcube
Sometimes, if you don't set a date for things being done, they'll never get done.
You definitely have a point, but I think my observation is also valid in that when the Sept. 28 was set, there was too much for everything to be accomplished by that date. The basic structure is in place and working rather well, considering, and that is what I am applauding. As for the frills and niceties, they're going to take a bit longer, and the "Pardon Our Dust" signs are going to be around for awhile.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: GHA Gold Priority Club Gold,Etihad Guest,EK Skywards,BA exec and QR privilege
Originally Posted by malteser
I just returned from the grand new airport.

Distance from lounge to gate just over 1.2 km (just made the flight)

This airport is really first class, but resembles a mall more than a airport.
Anyone need more info, pls ask.
Malteser, useful info...we go thro for the first time Dec 24, my wife is disabled( Asthma and Arthritis) so cannot walk that far. we normally get wheelchair assistance at Don Muang and have requested it this time.Are all gates that far or was yours the furthest? We're flying Emirates from the UK so don't know whose lounge they will use at the new airport,was Thais at D.M. I think but they've got nearly 3 months to get ready for us!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by malteser
...SNIP..
Massive Thai Lounge great, but over crowed (prob. coz other lounges still not complete) Big sign at entrance stating that UA gold not accepted.
Is UA *Gold the only one not accepted?

Did I miss the reason for this somewhere?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:03 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
united

Originally Posted by grayland
Is UA *Gold the only one not accepted?

Did I miss the reason for this somewhere?
yes i have seen a person who was denied with a united *gold card when i did enter the lounge. i dont know whats wrong. maybe the united lounge is open already?

dp
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by derpelikan
yes i have seen a person who was denied with a united *gold card when i did enter the lounge. i dont know whats wrong. maybe the united lounge is open already?

dp
They may have an arrangement with the other lounge. Any airline has to pay the operator of a lounge a fee for each of their elites when they use a lounge. Maybe UA found a cheaper provider? Or it could be in response to UA restricting E+ seats to only their own elites
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:20 pm

Yes, I really like the TG international departure lounges on-line so far (I havent tried the domestic lounges or the arrivals lounge yet) the ones on-line I saw are one Silk class and one First class)

BUT the Silk Lounge was so crowded last Sat... (filled with some TG Silk passengers, but I think mostly Star alliance business passengers and possibly Star Golds flying econ).

HOWEVER the lounge attendent said they will "soon" have eight more TG lounges finished (as well as other Star airline lounges like LH etc.?)... so that would greatly alleviate the crowding in the first opened lounge.

I think she was refering to four more Silk lounges, another First Class lounge and some Royal Orchid lounges (Im not sure of the distinction), as well as a TG Spa Lounge (complimentary to First Class, but possibly open to other TG passengers who pay for use?)....

in addition to the foregoing, there will be 3 Miracle lounges (they are operating bare-bones now--just lots of sofas and chair seats and small snacks) .....one of these Miracle lounges (up the internal escalator) also has a dayroom hotel --80 rooms (now under fit-out) ...

a HUGE pay-for-use fitness zone, spa, day room, salon, bar, business centre (B2 on the map) in Concourse G (Levels and a LARGE entertainment (movies?), karaoke, games, bar centre (B1 on the map) in the same Concourse......

lastly I saw "Change Foot Massage & Spa" centers scattered thoughout the Concourses...a also business centers

on Level 2, just off of Concourse A, there is a HUGE City Garden dining zone (havent tried it yet)...

by the way, there is a large Sky Loft and a large Sky Lounge on Level 6 of the Main Terminal Building (land side) but I havent tried them yet either....
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by derpelikan

dp
UA passengers are directed to the CIP F and C lounges at Concourse E. They also have United signs at the doors.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
They may have an arrangement with the other lounge. Any airline has to pay the operator of a lounge a fee for each of their elites when they use a lounge. Maybe UA found a cheaper provider? Or it could be in response to UA restricting E+ seats to only their own elites
yes the TG lounge attendent in the Silk Class lounge last Saturday also commented to me that United passengers are not allowed to use TG lounges (I thought that was strange because UA is in the Star Alliance).....she said they can use the Miracle (commercial) lounges...

by the way Priority Pass cards also get you into the Miracle lounges.....
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ulev
UA passengers are directed to the CIP F and C lounges at Concourse E. They also have United signs at the doors.
Bummer... I was looking forward to trying out the new TG lounge on my upcoming UA flight out of BKK. I guess it's no different than the SKL in SIN, though.

Looks like I'll have to wait until my TG F flight in December...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:48 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Originally Posted by Trajan
one of these Miracle lounges (up the internal escalator) also has a dayroom hotel --80 rooms (now under fit-out) ...
Does anyone pasing through have any knowledge/guess about when the dayroom hotel looks like opening? I've got a layover in BKK on Friday 13th - it's too short to be worth clearing security, going to the Novotel, and coming back through immigration, but I'd certainly value a couple of hours to get my head down

thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ*G, PAL Premier Elite
lounge access

Hi,
Yesterday (Wed) at 1230pm-1pm Royal Silk lounge barely 30% capacity. Very nice generally speaking, although internet and comp massage still offline. As a Philippine Airlines premier elite card holder I was entitled to use the lounge while flying PR. Thought it might have been a no go originally after reading threads about whinging QF pax not being able to use it. The metal ramp leading top the escalators which take one down to the lounge are a bad design in my view (there is already a sign warning of slippery surface). Thge metal ramps near the airplane entries are also a bad design as they chew up the wheels on cary on bags. Hope when the other lounges open i can find one with easier access than the one currently available.
The shops and public area eateries are fantastic in my view and once all the trimmings are put in place the departure side area should match any other in the world. Exceptions would be public toilets and a post office airside.
Cheers
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
Originally Posted by Rampo
I have to admit that, after reading most of the new airport experiences, I am very pleasantly surprised. Considering that the Sept 28 opening really was premature and only happened because of Thaksin's artificial deadline, the complaints really do seem to be on the minor side - unfinished lounges, dirty floors, etc. We've come a long way from the dire predictions of planes falling from the skies and plowing into each other on the runways. The delays involving luggage and taxis sound like everyday occurrences at many American airports. Once the glitches have worked out and the finishing touches have been added, it sounds as if it could be quite a nice venue for welcoming visitors to Thailand.
Yes, I'd agree very much with your comments. Lots of little problems (but which could be major problems for passenger involved) which have already been solved or will be solved soon. Same with any airport opening around the world. My major complaint with the airport is the arrival area. Total inept design by the airport designers right from the very begiinning. Someone should have known better than to make such a tiny arrival area just by studying other airports. Hopefully a partial solution can be found quickly to that problem. All other problems seem easily solveable given a bit of time.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by nextcube
Actually, as someone who worked on TG's catering facility at Suvarnabhumi, I think an artificial deadline was what was needed. This project had been going on for 45 years. TG had had a fire in the catering building last year. When I was there in the second week in September, they were STILL removing burnt debris from the building. On my previous visit (in May, 2006) there was only a skeleton crew actually working on the buildings; at least in September there was evidence of "getting a hurry on". Sometimes, if you don't set a date for things being done, they'll never get done.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. Lots of people complaining about the airport being opened before it was ready. Sure, it was opened before it was ready. Anyone following the saga knew that. But as you say, it was the only way they could get people to get serious about the airport. If they hadn't set a firm opening date like they did, it would have been years more till they would have finally been ready to open. Some minor problems and a few things not finished are certainly good tradeoffs to having to wait years for the new airport.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by jarino
Windfall for THAI and Master Mind

BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

The rush to open Suvarnabhumi Airport on Sept 28 has taken its toll on premium passengers who have very limited access to a handful of lounges that were opened just in time but are not fully functional.

Only the lounges belonging to Thai Airways International, Bangkok Airways, Cathay Pacific and China Airlines came on stream in the departure area.

Two other lounges, for first- and business-class passengers, operated by privately owned Master Mind by Louis Tavern are also open, albeit not fully.

Although the basic amenities, including furniture, and food and beverages, are in place at the opened lounges, facilities such as wireless Internet, telephone and fax are not available. The hardware is installed but not yet operating.
Just to be clear, I think the problem with unfinished lounges has nothing to do with the airport being "rushed to open", but has to do with the airlines not believing it would really open when it did and so they simple waiting to get started building their lounges till it was too late. I think the airlines should be the ones getting the blame on this, but it seems a lot of people are blaming the airport instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.