New airport in BKK

Old Jul 21, 06, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP, TG*S, ex-UA 1P
New airport in BKK

I'll be flying thru BKK from SYD to LHR in the last week of September, and back again at the end of the first week in October. Will it be the old airport on the way over, and the new on the way home?
Old Jul 21, 06, 5:11 pm

Probably old airport both ways. Only a few domestic flights will be using the new airport at that time.
Old Jul 21, 06, 9:37 pm

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Originally Posted by glob99
Probably old airport both ways. Only a few domestic flights will be using the new airport at that time.
This from today's (July 22nd) Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Jul2006_news05.php

Operations at new airport start Sept 28
All systems will take off at 3am

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

All systems at Suvarnabhumi airport will be ready for the opening of its full-scale commercial service at 3am on Sept 28 when Don Muang airport will be closed to scheduled flights, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday. Mr Thaksin was speaking after chairing a meeting of the government's committee supervising the airport's construction.

Airlines will bring their aircraft for departure at the new airport from that time.''Empty planes will wait for take-off at Suvarnabhumi that morning and that will start the full-scale commercial service,'' he said.

All systems at the new Bangkok airport had been completed, and tests had been a success. Faults detected in previous tests had been corrected.

Although tests had not integrated all operating systems and were done only through simulation, they reflected the readiness of the airport. Mr Thaksin said he was confident enough to announce the airport opening on Sept 28.

Suvarnabhumi airport will undergo real tests on July 29 when special flights of six domestic airlines land and take off there. Then on Sept 1, Thai Airways International (THAI) will test its international flights. Public buses will be available at Suvarnabhumi on July 29 and Sept 1 to take passengers to and from the city.

The government would now start public relations work to familiarise people with routes to the airport, he said.

From 3am on Sept 28, Don Muang airport would stop serving regular commercial flights. It will only handle chartered, VIP, private and military flights.

Suvarnabhumi airport boasts the world's largest single passenger terminal that can serve up to 45 million passengers annually.

With that capacity, Mr Thaksin said it may not be necessary to build a separate terminal for budget airlines or look at a second-phase terminal expansion right away. His deputy Gen Chainant Charoensiri said test flights on July 29 would prove if the airport was really ready.
So it looks like the OP will be going in one way and out t'other!
Old Jul 22, 06, 9:23 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
I think I would be one of many that is highly sceptical of September 2006 being the fully operative date.
Old Jul 23, 06, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP, TG*S, ex-UA 1P
Here's hoping....

Thanks, Meerkat... I hope the article is accurate!
Old Jul 23, 06, 6:46 am

Programs: delta plat, hilton gold, marriott silver
Okay, with a flight from JFK to BKK, then on to Phuket, all on Thai Airways, will I have to go from one airport to the other? How much time is enough to make the transfer? Flight is 8/12/06.
Old Jul 23, 06, 7:27 am

Programs: PC
terryan: They'll be moving everything to the new airport (domestic, international, LCC), so provided it's actually open at the time, you'll just go from one terminal to another.
Old Jul 23, 06, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I'll arrive at BKK on Sept. 29th connecting to DPS, and am very excited to visit the new airport, providing it is in operation that day!
Old Jul 23, 06, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For those of you who have never dealt with a brand new airport (and particularly one in Thailand), all I can say is, "Good luck!"

I am departing on the 27th and am darn glad I am. I wouldn't go near the new airport for at least two weeks. At least.
Old Jul 23, 06, 9:19 pm

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
For those of you who have never dealt with a brand new airport (and particularly one in Thailand), all I can say is, "Good luck!"

I am departing on the 27th and am darn glad I am. I wouldn't go near the new airport for at least two weeks. At least.
Haha I tend to agree with you, especially as I remember the absolute catastrophe that was HKG's opening in '98 (similarly to the new BKK, the entire operational move from the old HKG to the new was done in one night).

Kudos to the authorities though for staging the trial flights later this week to see how everything works together with actual passengers, albeit a tiny fraction of what will be the real number once Suvarnabhumi opens for real.

Anyway, I can't wait; it'll mean an end to Jumbos flying over the front garden!
Old Jul 24, 06, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by grenouille
I'll arrive at BKK on Sept. 29th connecting to DPS, and am very excited to visit the new airport, providing it is in operation that day!
If it is, don't check any luggage at your origin.
Old Jul 24, 06, 7:46 pm

You do realize the PM "opened" the airport LAST YEAR.
Old Aug 9, 06, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I am hoping to arrive Sept 30 and fly out next day so hope there are not too many new airport glitches.

Anyone know what the deal is with airport hotels in new place?

Also is it a lot futher out?

My 15 mins cab ride to Sheraton Sukhamvit will be a lot longer (and dearer!) now I can bet!
Old Aug 10, 06, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UAL 1K, QF, SPG-G, HILTON
have not seen any advertisements anywhere for new hotels around the airport.

I think you'll have to taxi it into town or go to Pattaya.
Old Aug 10, 06, 12:38 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi
Just back and the Taksin is adamant it will open on the 28th, even though friends who are working out there shake their heads in disbelief. Expect a lot of work to be still going on around you as you disembark, but by Christmas it will be fully functional and I believe that is the aim.
So you are not unduly upset, I can tell you when HongKong and Singapore and KL opened their airports it was a shambles, and I expect nothing less from Bangkok. You may recall that HKG actually had to revert back to the old airport for a while, but the Thais are wonderful and they will get you through it all. Yes the taxi will cost more, but still only a fraction of what the SYD hacks charge. The APT hotels were not ready last week, but if you don't want to hop into Sukhumvit Road, why don't you grab a limo down to the Sheraton Pattaya, regards

Search this Thread
Search Engine: