New airport in BKK

Old Aug 10, 06, 7:19 am

New airport

is there going to be a city link by train / metro ?
How far is it to the city / let say to the Amari Hotel ?
Old Aug 10, 06, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old airport to Sheraton ~ 20 KM, new airport to Sheraton ~ 23 KM.

There is a new Novotel at the airport, if not currently open it will be when the airport opens, others hotels are done, in proess or planned.

Which Amari, there are quite a few.

Taxis will be slightly more expensive, dependent on the destination of course, let's just say +20%, same/same for trip times.

There will be express buses when the airport opens, my guess is 50 -100 baht.

An elevated train is being contructed, between the airport and the city (main terminal at Makasan, maybe going on to Phaya Thai?). Service to begin late 2008, I think, maybe 100 baht.
Old Aug 10, 06, 12:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Vive le difference

Originally Posted by Meerkat
the absolute catastrophe that was HKG's opening in '98
Yes, and the Chinese actually knew what they were doing, and the airport was much more ready!
Old Aug 10, 06, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew through the new HKG airport (UA: ORD-HKG-SIN) one week after it opened and did not witness any catastrophes, absolute or otherwise? I have a vague recollection about a lot of freight/cargo issues but nothing about safety or inconvenience.

Last edited by transpac; Aug 11, 06 at 2:31 am
Old Aug 10, 06, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I seem to recall reading the baggage belts were a total disaster and simply did not work for much of the early period causing total chaos?
Old Aug 11, 06, 12:36 am

Programs: EBS
Also look here :-)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...68#post6181268
Old Aug 11, 06, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/11Aug2006_biz44.php

Suvarnabhumi maps growth plan

Budget and domestic terminals in pipeline

Although Suvarnabhumi Airport has yet to open for business, Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) has begun mapping out an expansion plan that includes a second terminal for low-cost carriers and a dedicated terminal for domestic flights.

AoT president Chotisak Asapaviriya is seeking board approval next Wednesday to proceed immediately with construction of the first dedicated terminal for no-frills airlines.

Also on the drawing board is a second low-cost carrier (LCC) terminal that would be located next to the proposed first facility at concourse A of the existing passenger terminal.

A self-contained terminal for domestic flights, which could start operating within five years, is another part of AoT's strategy to maintain Bangkok as a key air hub of Southeast Asia.

The new terminals would be able to handle a total of up to 45 million passengers a year, double the capacity currently designed for the facility that is scheduled to start operation on Sept 28.

AoT is adopting a micro approach to enlarging capacity to accommodate soaring air traffic demand through Suvarnabhumi, at which capacity is projected to be used up a few years after its opening.
Old Aug 11, 06, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UAL 1K, QF, SPG-G, HILTON
How can they build an airport and not put the infrasturture in at the same time. Seems to me that a new internatinonal airport would come complete with skytrains. But then again this is Amazing Thailand

Search this Thread
Search Engine: