FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   What's the earliest check-in time for TG from HKG? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/458706-whats-earliest-check-time-tg-hkg.html)

jef7 Aug 2, 2005 7:01 pm

What's the earliest check-in time for TG from HKG?

I will be heading to Manila in the next few weeks and will be arriving in HKG at about 5:30 pm on UA flight from ORD. My connecting flight will be on TG in C the following morning at 8AM. Now, originally I was planning to stay on a hotel in downtown Hong Kong, but realized that the Premier Lounge at HKG offers night packages where one could have access to the lounge (for sleep and shower) from 11pm-7am. However, it says on their website that a boarding pass is necessary to be able to access it's location inside the airport so could anybody confirm the possibility that I could obtain my boarding pass for my segment with TG upon arrival in HKG? If this is possible I was hoping to obtain my boarding pass with TG upon arrival, head out to downtown for dinner, shopping etc., then head back to the airport and sleep in the lounge. Thanks for any advice regarding this situation.

kinchai Aug 3, 2005 3:05 am

jef7 you are correct about the Premier Lounge at HKG being located in the restricted area and therefore needing a boarding pass. From my experience, TG check-in doesn't begin any time before 6am in the morn. It would be much better if you obtain ur boarding pass at ORD (since it's with a *A carrier and less than 24 hrs), carry light clothes to change into and have ur luggage checked all the way to BKK. This way you are free to do whatever you wish downtown or in the airport. Another option is having ur luggage checked all the way to BKK, but obtain ur boarding pass at the transfer desk in HKG. This I haven't tried in person, the down side is that if they were not able to issue your boarding pass at that time, you would be stuck in the airport for the next 14 hrs (even though you have lounge access).

travelinmanS Aug 3, 2005 5:20 pm

You could probably get a boarding pass from the transfer desk at HKG right after you get off the UA flight.

However, I would like to push you to strongly re-consider staying at the airport. It is extremely easy to get downtown using the Airport Express train and H.K. is a fantastic city to see at sunset/twilight. Just the food you will enjoy in H.K. will be worth the trip. The Airport hotel will be very boring.

jef7 Aug 3, 2005 10:53 pm

Thanks so much for the initial responses. The HKG website suggests that TG is one of the airlines that offer early check, so will definitely check the transfer desk.

Regarding about staying in downtown, it's not completely out of the planning yet. However, I thought the overnight package at the lounge in HKG (11pm-7am) is the better option for my schedule. Arrive 6 pm in HKG, then head straight to downtown for some sightseeing and then head back to HKG taking one of the last trains, get some sleep and I should be ready for the early 8 am flight to MNL. In whichever case though, I sure hope I could obtain the boarding pass with my TG flight upon arrival.

Swiss Tony Aug 8, 2005 4:33 pm

If there's any problem, you can check in up to one day in advance for TG flights at either the Kowloon or Central Airport Express Stations - http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_compli_e.htm#itci You will however have to get there before the previous evening's TG flights close.

lhrpete Aug 10, 2005 12:07 pm

If you are not familiar with it, IMHO go for the downtown option, don't pay a fortune for the hotel but downtown HKG is just such an amazing place you should do it as much as you can! :)

newshound Oct 3, 2011 10:11 pm

Ressurecting an old thread here...

I need to travel to BKK from HKG on the last flight on a sunday with a load of heavy luggage (Snowboard and a box of books). I will be spending the day (11am-6pm) in Yuen Long.

I dont want to take the luggage with me to Yuen Long so the vague plan was to try and check in and drop off my luggage at the Airport express first thing. I would then make my way to Yuen Long by taxi and then travel directly from Yuen Long to the airport (ie not actually use the Airport express at all).

Does anyone forsee any problems with this or have any better solutions? (other than the $100 train fare I wont be using)

Any issues with snowboards on Thai?

Thanks

Chopsticks Oct 5, 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by newshound (Post 17216336)
I would then make my way to Yuen Long by taxi and then travel directly from Yuen Long to the airport (ie not actually use the Airport express at all).

Does anyone forsee any problems with this or have any better solutions? (other than the $100 train fare I wont be using)

Any issues with snowboards on Thai?

Thanks

You will most likely have to buy an AE ticket, whether you will use it in the end or not. I don't use the downtown check-in locations very often but when I did in the past, I had to buy a ticket first.

bendachentaiwan Oct 6, 2011 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 4429918)
If there's any problem, you can check in up to one day in advance for TG flights at either the Kowloon or Central Airport Express Stations - http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_compli_e.htm#itci You will however have to get there before the previous evening's TG flights close.

+1 ^

newshound Oct 6, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I thought about the night before however that would be more than 24 hrs in advance as I will be on the last flight of the subsequent day so I guess AE check in will close 25.5hrs before my flight leaves.

Unfortunately that link is dead but I get the message :) Looks like it will be a morning check in an I will either throw away the AE ticket or use it at a later date.

Cheers