Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-BKK-DPS or JFK-FRA-SIN-DPS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:35 am
Original Poster

JFK-BKK-DPS or JFK-FRA-SIN-DPS?

I am using an award (business class) ticket and have the option of:

1. TG - JFK-BKK-DPS (arrive in BKK for one night stay, fly to DPS next morning)

or

2. SQ - JFK-FRA-SIN-DPS

Any strong opinion why I should take one or the other? Basically I will arrive around the same time in Bali, but I leave NYC at noon with TG, at night with SQ.

The inbound to JFK is fixed with SQ via FRA.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy

or

2. SQ - JFK-FRA-SIN-DPS

Any strong opinion why I should take one or the other? Basically I will arrive around the same time in Bali, but I leave NYC at noon with TG, at night with SQ.

I would fly with SQ and go via SIN to Denpasar. Much better plane on SQ with better seats, IFE and food. BKK - DPS on TG is not a very good flight since the aircraft use is the old A300. I flew that route last November and sitting next to me, in business class, was a TG mechanic. I asked him why he's going to Bali and he replied that he must accompanied the plane since it's quite old and no one in Bali would know how to repair it(if it breaks down)!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:40 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
Originally Posted by Pook
I would fly with SQ and go via SIN to Denpasar. Much better plane on SQ with better seats, IFE and food. BKK - DPS on TG is not a very good flight since the aircraft use is the old A300. I flew that route last November and sitting next to me, in business class, was a TG mechanic. I asked him why he's going to Bali and he replied that he must accompanied the plane since it's quite old and no one in Bali would know how to repair it(if it breaks down)!
From 29 March, DPS will be operated by A330-300 which has a relatively good business class seat. I would say you should try TG to experience their brand new A340-500 from JFK.

Re A300 with mechanic on board: actually it is normal to have a mechanic on board if the aircraft is flying to a station where there is no type-certified mechanic there. The mechanic on board will be the one who sign off the aircraft to fly back to Bangkok. That's much cheaper that sending a mechanic to station there in Bali. It has nothing to do to the fact that the aircraft is old or not.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Why not take SQ EWR-SIN-DPS?
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:02 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by broadwayboy

or

2. SQ - JFK-FRA-SIN-DPS

I suppose you have the new seats JFK-BKK with TG ? If so I would take TG (I like the idea of a daytime flight and a break in a real bed in BKK and I would love to sample their new product) Also you are already experiencing SQ to JFK.
On the other hand you cannot have a bad experience with SQ C product
Enjoy
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:26 pm
nlp

I would choose the new TG nonstop with A345, which I believe to have business class seats better than SQ C seats.

For the BKK-DPS, it's just a short flight. Even it's A300-600, it's ok with me. Anyway if they could change it to A330, then it's great.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I agree, the new a345 jfk-bkk service looks excellent, its worth trying out IMO.

The Thai service and all is excellent, just their seats werent that great, and now the A340-500 deals with that

Last edited by sadiqhassan; Mar 25, 2005 at 8:36 pm
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:07 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nlp
I would choose the new TG nonstop with A345, which I believe to have business class seats better than SQ C seats.
Hmmm, if I'm not mistaken then TG's new C seat on the A345 will be like the one LX (Swiss) has installed on its A340's which is good but by no means better than a Raffles class Spacebed. The IFE on TG will be no match either for SQ's system.

However, as your return is locked in on SQ it would be kind of nice to feature both poducts (TG A345 / SQ) in one RT. I wouldn't worry about BKK-DPS, as stated by others, as it is really not that long a flight. Enjoy ...
Old Mar 27, 2005, 6:50 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
The A340-500 will be equipped with MAS3000 AVOD IFE system just like SQ and from what I've seen on the latest IFE guide the programming is not bad either with variety of new and old movies plus tons of video programming and CD albums.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:43 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by spk
The A340-500 will be equipped with MAS3000 AVOD IFE system just like SQ and from what I've seen on the latest IFE guide the programming is not bad either with variety of new and old movies plus tons of video programming and CD albums.
Good to know. Thanks for the update. That is quite nice then. One more reason to do TG to go there and SQ on the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.