Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai changes class system to/from Scandinavia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:55 am
Original Poster

(Exerpt from Thai's Danish website www.thai-airways.dk, courtesy translation)

From 1 April 2004 Thai Airways changes the class system on flights between Scandinavia and Bangkok.

The earlier system with Royal First Class, Royal Executive Class and Economy Class is replaced with Royal Executive Premium Class, Economy Deluxe Class, and Economy Class.

The aircraft will not be reconfigured - the passengers are simply moved one class up. Service levels from the earlier Royal First Class and Royal Executive Class are more or less unchanged in the new Royal Executive Premium Class (minus caviar, though) and Economy Deluxe Class.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 8:42 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
This is interesting. Does it mean that Deluxe Economy will be in the old Royal Executive cabin? Will prices be lower than the old Royal Executive class? Perhaps *G's will be placed in Deluxe Economy?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Correct, the new Economy Deluxe will be seated in the old Royal Executive cabin. It should be noted that the aircraft (at least to/from CPH) are 744, the old configuration with 18/62 seats in the former F/C, and with 43" pitch in the old C.
The old C-class product was - as earlier discussed on FT - old fashioned compared to other airlines with newly reconfigured Business Class. However, on a recent trip in the old C we actually felt comfortable enough, in wide seats with an acceptable recline and pitch. Viewed in absolute terms as a C product I'd say that the physical product was OK, although of course not as good as the more modern approaches. Viewed as an E+ product, it would get a very good evaluation.
I don't have any indication whether the pricing has changed.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:31 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
It is interesting that this is just on route to Scandinavia. I can imagine it is only to match the SK product (where they codeshare) where SK only offer J, Y+ and Y. In essence TG are "matching" with the old equipment they have. Interesting move.

Certainly if *G was allowed to sit in the C section I'd fly TG on the route in preference to LH/SQ/OS etc in Y! Normally I'd fly SK anyway since SK is very good to *G's and I've wound up in Y+ out of BKK when they're oversold (just about always!)

Anyone agree with this thought?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:47 am

There was a report weeks ago on Skytrax that all flights that have the old seats will be changed to the new system until they have installed the new seats by the end of the year. I highly doubt it will happen that quick. Thai does not care to match SK standard as SK and TG do not codeshare between Scandinavia and Bangkok. Still the flights to Zurich are listed as F C Y with MD11. I have been many times on Thai´s MD11 in F and they are even less comfortable then B744. However not as bad as on the B747-300. Let´s wait. I do not trust any Thai statemnt re product change / update until I really see it.
I asked Thai what will happen if I get the old version on the MUC flight - do I get a refund as I sit in a seat that´s sold to neighbour regions as C Class ? No reply so far....
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:35 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
The change of class system will only be implemented on the Scandinavian route. TG did it because the F and C class yield is low on this route while Y is packed. Better move paid C passengers to F. Now they have Y+ to sell and free up room in Y to take more passengers. Good move.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:56 pm

Programs: NH-SFC, SPG-LTP, MR-P, HH-G
One of Travel agent in BKK has quoted the price of Y+ to/from BKK and CPH or ARN which is THB98,000++ under Y as a sub class, although C+ will be THB123,000++ with J class.
When I've heard it, I was trying to ask TG agent in BKK whether TG can pre-assign me to Y+ seat with YRWSTAR1 ticket and *G status. Their answer was No, unfortunately.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:03 pm

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Any updates on this? I really dislike the old 744's and will avoid the ARN/CPH-BKK route on TG in the future, much better to go through FRA I would imagine.

The F/C seats look really old and pretty ugly in the old color scheme and no AVOD.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

This system is still in force, as Thai is still using the oldest config.
Nice deal for full-fare Y and for C, as you get an automatic "upgrade".
Old Oct 9, 2005, 3:32 am

Is the upgrade worth it though?

I flew CPH-BKK two weeks ago and was miserable in economy on this old/non-AVOD plane. Standby upgrade is USD740 to Y (old business class) one-way and about USD1240 for upgrade to C (first class).

I'd rather fly SQ next time.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:11 am
Original Poster

I guess it comes down to personal preferences whether it's worth it.

Pricewise, Thai's old-config Business class is comparable to other carriers more modern Economy Plus, and Thai's old-config First class is comparable to other carriers more modern Business class.

Personally, I rate the extra space on Thai higher than having the AVOD facility.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Avod

I agree about AVOD - the option of having Hollywood crap on 99 channels on demand rather than 10 channels cycling does nothing for me
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
It looks like TG is going to utilize the newer 744-version on BKK-ARN / BKK-CPH. In that case, C-class is a VERY good deal with the lie-flat seats in the Firstcabin.

I am still surprised they are using the old Firstclass to Sydney.....
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I think its very changeable - I'm booked in F BKK-SYD-AKL late Nov on a 744. Currently it appears to be 7443 - ie the new cinfig as there are on 10 F seats. But I've prepared myself if things change. I have to travel on the date concerned. The return is currently showing A340-500, so I'm hopeful that if everything works out, I'll be able to report back on both the new 747 config as well as the 346.

Cheers, TK
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Norway_Asia
It looks like TG is going to utilize the newer 744-version on BKK-ARN / BKK-CPH. In that case, C-class is a VERY good deal with the lie-flat seats in the Firstcabin.

I am still surprised they are using the old Firstclass to Sydney.....
Is this correct (from Experflyer):

743: oldest 747-300 (like today TG950 BKK-CPH)
744: old 747-400 (like tonight TG960 BKK-ARN)
747: new 747? (like tomorrow TG922 BKK-FRA)

I guess that the 747-code is the 7443 that I've heard about?

Edit: Check my last post for the correct codes

Last edited by Bjornstrom; Oct 10, 2005 at 10:04 pm Reason: Correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.