Recent experience in Business Class

Old Aug 9, 22, 2:36 pm
HAF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
The spa has been closed ever since covid started, and remains closed. I just finalised my plans, so can report back on long-haul J early next week if it helps anybody
Yes please. I will help since i have four flights in early September MUC-BKK-DPS-BKK-MUC ; so would be great to see if there is progress - esp shower options at BKK Lounge and lounge comfort early morning and late evening.... seems the rest of the J experience is almost what it used to be pre-covid
Old Aug 9, 22, 3:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
The spa has been closed ever since covid started, and remains closed. I just finalised my plans, so can report back on long-haul J early next week if it helps anybody
Sounds good. I'm going in September on paid J out of bkk, would love a foot massage again.
Old Aug 9, 22, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Essentially, the carrier reserves some seats for allocation by Airport/Load Control to allow them flexibility to cater for special needs pax, VIPs, late booking status holders, unaccompanied minors etc etc. Yes, I agree it annoying but I understand and accept therequirement.
I don't know any other airline that blocks so many premium cabin seats . For example, while LX and SQ will block a handful of the best seats for HON/SEN/PPS, nowhere near the number that TG does (and at least with LX, they'll open those up at check-in). And with TG it's not necessarily for FFP elites, but rather for people of privilege, who may hold no status at all.
Old Aug 9, 22, 6:19 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't know any other airline that blocks so many premium cabin seats . For example, while LX and SQ will block a handful of the best seats for HON/SEN/PPS, nowhere near the number that TG does (and at least with LX, they'll open those up at check-in). And with TG it's not necessarily for FFP elites, but rather for people of privilege, who may hold no status at all.
This is part of life, culture, society, etc in Thailand and myself and Thais that I know don't even think about it. My wife and myself were once moved from FC to BC on a flight from Bangkok to London, whereas once we were surrounded by people of privilege. The first was a more peaceful flight.

Perhaps in 'sterile' Singapore and Switzerland there are not so many people who would fit into the Thai category of privilege, even allowing for the lower populations.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 6:29 pm

Programs: Mucci - Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
There is nothing new about this, and other airlines also do the same. Perhaps TG does reserve more.

Essentially, the carrier reserves some seats for allocation by Airport/Load Control to allow them flexibility to cater for special needs pax, VIPs, late booking status holders, unaccompanied minors etc etc. Yes, I agree it annoying but I understand and accept therequirement.

In F on the 744 and 346, one lucky seat was reserved to hold magazine and newspapers .
I know, and I have no issue with that on most other airlines, as it is usually possible to call up and get what you want unblocked if you hold top tier status (QR, CX, etc). Anyway, I just have to hope I can get out of my E seat (or that F stays empty as it is at the moment!)..

Originally Posted by TOMFORD View Post
Sounds good. I'm going in September on paid J out of bkk, would love a foot massage again.
Best go for a massage in the city then - I would rate the chances of the spa reopening in September near zero.
Old Aug 9, 22, 6:30 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by HAF View Post
How are their Thai - style dishes compared to Western? and what is the spice level for their Thai meals compared to say what can typically be found in Thailand?
If you want more spice on board the flight, they'll give you some of the prik nam pla fish sauce, that you can pour over the food. Its great
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 6:37 pm

I'm sorry, I can't help myself.

"How dare those people of privilege take a first class seat from me."
Old Aug 10, 22, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Qantas. They block whole rows until T-80, or even later sometimes. Whole cabins can be blocked off for the various status tiers. JAL is another one blocking all the window seats in their apex seats.

Conversely Ive never had an issue with TG even on award bookings with no status Ive been presented with completely unblocked seating charts, with prime seats available for selection out of Australia and onwards to europe and v.v.
Old Aug 10, 22, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Qantas. They block whole rows until T-80, or even later sometimes. Whole cabins can be blocked off for the various status tiers. JAL is another one blocking all the window seats in their apex seats.

Conversely Ive never had an issue with TG even on award bookings with no status Ive been presented with completely unblocked seating charts, with prime seats available for selection out of Australia and onwards to europe and v.v.
Ahhh, I always thought I was just too late to get a window seat on JAL when every J on both sides is blocked.
Old Aug 10, 22, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
Ahhh, I always thought I was just too late to get a window seat on JAL when every J on both sides is blocked.
The last one or two rows are sometimes available. They might indeed have been taken.
Old Aug 10, 22, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Qantas. They block whole rows until T-80, or even later sometimes. Whole cabins can be blocked off for the various status tiers.
Wasn't aware of that. But with TG, they block all the way to the gate, which makes the practice particularly annoying.

But then, unlike most commercial airlines, TG is not managed to make a profit, but rather to benefit those with titles or connections.
Old Aug 10, 22, 8:50 am

Wasn't aware of that. But with TG, they block all the way to the gate, which makes the practice particularly annoying.

But then, unlike most commercial airlines, TG is not managed to make a profit, but rather to benefit those with titles or connections.
Thai Airways posted a consolidated net profit of 55.1 billion baht ($1.7 billion) for 2021 on Wednesday, reversing its worst-ever net loss of 141 billion baht in 2020. Feb 28, 2022
Old Aug 10, 22, 9:59 am

Programs: Mucci - Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Thai Airways posted a consolidated net profit of 55.1 billion baht ($1.7 billion) for 2021 on Wednesday, reversing its worst-ever net loss of 141 billion baht in 2020. Feb 28, 2022
No comment
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:19 pm

lol, when a company like TG reports a profit, it's important to review the details. In this case, the profit was based exclusively on one time items, including asset sales, debt restructuring, and cuts in employee benefits.
"We returned to profit, but it was only because of one-time gains," Piyasvasti Amranand, a Thai Airways board member in charge of the company's rehabilitation, said at a news conference on Monday.
For the period you reference (2021), TG reported a net operating loss of 3.4 billion THB.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:41 pm

lol, when a company like TG reports a profit, it's important to review the details. In this case, the profit was based exclusively on one time items, including asset sales, debt restructuring, and cuts in employee benefits.

For the period you reference (2021), TG reported a net operating loss of 3.4 billion THB.
Fair enough.

Search this Thread