Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Success: activating a 'frozen' Q->J GUP ticket

Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

I have successfully worked with TG to reactivate a 'frozen' economy Q ticket that had been upgraded to J. Complicating matters is that TG has not re-commenced Bangkok-Auckland (BKK-AKL) nor indicated when they might re-start. I'll lay out the background situation and resolution that worked for me. BinSabai and Flyingbiker might be specifically interested.

Background
  • Nov 2019. Purchased a flexible Q economy fare AKL-BKK-AKL for travel to an event in Apr 2020. This was refundable less $NZ 200. Applied GUP into J
  • Feb 2020. Event was postponed. Considered cancelling for refund, but elected to move travel to Oct (successfully done). Pandemic worsened.
  • Mar 2020. Chose the 'frozen ticket' option to Dec 2021 over a voucher or (trying) to seek a refund. I was reluctant to lose the GUP if taking either of the other options.
  • Oct 2021. THAI office in Auckland proactively advise me 'frozen ticket' validity extended to Dec 2022. THAI office staff then reduced and email only response possible.

Activation of ticket
I have been tracking THAI's restructure and slow recovery. Unfortunately TG has not given any indications of restarting BKK-AKL direct, or even a 'tag' flight as was conducted in the 80s and 90s ( both BKK-BNE-AKL and BKK-SYD-AKL). I was concerned that the absence of a direct flight would probably invalidate the frozen ticket, and almost certainly lose the GUP.

In Feb 2022 I noted that TG was selling flights AKL-BKK that routed via Australia (SYD or MEL) and unlike in the past, these appeared to be bookable on the website. Pre-pandemic, trying book on TG online using any NZ origins other than AKL would result win an error despite that flights showing as 'possible'.

On 31 Mar I determined a suitable travel period in Oct/Nov, made a dummy booking online that had J availability and printed that out as a reference. Then I called the Auckland THAI office (a free call domestically), that then offers a connection to the THAI Contact Centre in Bangkok. I called at around 0900 NZ time, so 0300 in Bangkok. The call was answered after around 10 minutes wait. The agent spoke good level of English, and was very diligent to confirm understanding at each stage. I am a reasonable Thai speaker but felt no need to reinforce or restate my requests in Thai.

I explained I had a 'frozen ticket', provided the PNR, and said I wanted to re-book the flights for travel later in the year and that I had specific dates. Once the agent had pulled up the PNR and read through the notes and the revisions, he asked for the specific dates. He then noted that "So sorry Sir, THAI does not fly directly to Auckland". This is when I noted that THAI is selling flights to/from Auckland on the web, and that there are connections required in Australia. I said I was quite happy to transit Australia and offered to read out the specific routing I had printed. Asked if I wanted to fly from Australia to Thailand, I said "no" politely noting my ticket is from Auckland to Bangkok and so this could be re-issued for Auckland to Bangkok via Australia.

He put me on hold for 20 mins to consult with supervisor. On return he said that it was possible, and then asked me to confirm the dates. After a short delay, he offered Auckland-Melbourne(Qantas)-Bangkok (TG), returning Bangkok-Sydney(TG)-Auckland(AirNZ). I asked him to confirm that all sectors were in business class, which he confirmed. He then generated a new PNR and asked for my email. This was sent and I checked the dates, connection times and class of travel before confirming to him that all was correct.

He then noted he would pass this to colleagues in the ticketing office for review during working hours. He asked if I had a Thai number for a call-back during working hours. I do, but doubted I had sufficient credit to successfully use this and I'd need to dig out teh device etc, so I said I would phone back from NZ (same number). Total call time 51 minutes.
This PNR was not ticketed, but I could still make seat allocations for the TG flights, but not QF and NZ sectors.

I called back at 1500 (0900 in Bangkok), and noted that I had re-activated a frozen ticket and other staff had generated a new PNR and I requested that it was ticketed. I was asked to wait, and then it was noted that this was an economy ticket and mileage earning was per original fare class 9i was happy). He then re-checked with me the date and connections were ok (they were). He then said the PNR would be placed in the queue for ticketing. Total call time 32 minutes.

The e-ticket arrived in my email inbox the following evening.

0600-0815 AKL-MEL QF152 business (I) 737-800
1100-1630 MEL-BKK TG466 business (J) 350-900
1750-0710 BKK-SYD TG475 business (J) 777-300ER
0955-1505 SYD-AKL TG4825 business (J) 787-9 (codeshare on AirNZ as NZ102)

Comment
I didn't pursue other outbound routings on AirNZ outbound as there are no reasonable same-day connections. The QF flight is on a 737-800 at 0600 with a small recliner-style business cabin of 12 seats. I also didn't bother asking about mileage accrual with a Qantas sector.

Overall, the process in getting the ticket re-issued was simpler than I had anticipated. Hopefully by very late October that entry process will not require the 1 night in a SHA++ hotel.

I still have a BKK-SIN-BKK J award, and a BKK-ICN-BKK Y award to think about. I will sit on those for now and decide if I can squeeze them in, or seek a refund of the miles/fees.
maerim and 11277m like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 10, 2022 at 3:41 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:27 am

Excellent news, T-K. Well done.
I'm keeping an eye on Thailand entry regulations and NZ ones too.
As soon as the regs look reasonably relaxed and unlikely to change I will begin the search for suitable flights for using our frozen UK-NZ tickets.
Both being retired now makes for complete flexibility, unlike previously.
Thanks for the comprehensive post.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:20 am

Thai-Kiwi, you are so lucky! My request to rebook my frozen GUP ticket LHR-BKK-AKL has not been so successful.

LHR-BKK-Australia was no problem on TG flights, but getting to NZ was more difficult. The first agent said I couldn't have business for the Aus-NZ sector because "economy is what I had paid for" so I asked that she did the best she could.
Sadly the ticket was issued only to Aus, and on phoning again, my options were either to buy my own flights on to NZ or have a refund in the form of a travel voucher.

It seems that the Extended Validity Ticket rules stating the new booking must be on the same route and in the same class of service have been conveniently forgotten and that TG will not honour their own rules if it involves payment to another airline.

Mentioning to Bangkok that they had already honoured the rules on route and fare class to another ROP Gold member, I was told they make decisions on an individual basis!

I would be very interested to hear other people's experience of rebooking Extended Validity Tickets.....
Old May 18, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

11277m oh, very sorry to hear that.

I was expecting a similar response for myself, and so I didn’t quibble over flying AKL-MEL on QF for example.

It also seems bookings are very heavy for some periods, and GUP needed to use J biz class for TG sectors (or deep discount like I on QF) - could this have been a limitation?

I may have struck it lucky by getting onto this early, and finding an agent who was was proactive and positive.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:58 am

I suspect you were the first to use rebook a GUP fare and Thai have now isssued a directive to stop any more slipping through the net.

I had looked to see that fares were available on NZ and QF and would have accepted either...after all they are being shown as bookable on the TG website.

The first agent had suggested I would have to be in economy from Aus to NZ, which I would have happily accepted. In any case, many of the NZ flights are in A320's and economy only.

I think the real issue is that TG are not prepared to give money to other airlines, or don't have any money to give to other airlines. When Bangkok said they couldn't help me I mentioned I knew of another ROP Gold member who they had booked, not only with QF and NZ, but also in business, they immediately asked who it was and what was the booking reference!

As Thais own extended ticket rules clearly say that rebooking must be on the same route and in the same booking class, I feel there is a clear case of breach of contract, but I guess i'll just take the view that it's given me an insight into the ethics of the company. Making the rules and not following them...it looks as if they are behaving like a UK prime minister!
Old May 19, 2022, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 11277m
I think the real issue is that TG are not prepared to give money to other airlines, or don't have any money to give to other airlines. When Bangkok said they couldn't help me I mentioned I knew of another ROP Gold member who they had booked, not only with QF and NZ, but also in business, they immediately asked who it was and what was the booking reference!
I sure hope they don’t do a review of the ticket! I would surely be easy to find …
11277m likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:07 am

I can't imagine they would get round to doing that. It was a couple of weeks ago and it's too late...you are already ticketed.
Being ticketed is confirmed, isn't it?
Old May 19, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 11277m
I can't imagine they would get round to doing that. It was a couple of weeks ago and it's too late...you are already ticketed.
Being ticketed is confirmed, isn't it?
Yes, as far as I know. I have a re-issued TG e-tix number and a new PNR. The e-tix has retained the same economy Q class fare basis of Q1LYNZE

Here is the text extract of comments from new e-ticket

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 19, 2022 at 7:38 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 6:20 am

You're making me jealous.
Yes, the tickets I've been sitting on for two years also had the Fare Basis Q and the Class as J.
As you know, the booking class is what determines the miles earned, but they have been known to make a mistake occasionally
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Yes, as far as I know. I have a re-issued TG e-tix number and a new PNR. The e-tix has retained the same economy Q class fare basis of Q1LYNZE

Here is the text extract of comments from new e-ticket

Wow, you are most fortunate. I have just managed to re activate 2 tickets AKL LHR but only by re routing to MEL LHR SYD. There was a fair bit of discussion about the NZ to Australia flights but I did not manage to prevail. I am concerned that our journey home will be a problematic connection, arrive SYD 0720, depart air NZ 0955. Do you think they will check bags through to AKL?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, after NZ102 was down-gauged from 789 to 321 that caused THAI to review my ticket and have both TT sectors in Y.
I called to argue the toss, and ask for a supervisor all to no avail. Back when I reactivated this trip my expectation was for TT to be in Y, so not that upset to persevere.

In a second blow, TG475 BKK-SYD has bee retimed to depart 08:50 arriving same day in SYD 21:30, forcing an unwanted overnight….

initial advice when AirNZ downgauged

both TT sectors in Y
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
Wow, you are most fortunate. I have just managed to re activate 2 tickets AKL LHR but only by re routing to MEL LHR SYD. There was a fair bit of discussion about the NZ to Australia flights but I did not manage to prevail. I am concerned that our journey home will be a problematic connection, arrive SYD 0720, depart air NZ 0955. Do you think they will check bags through to AKL?
I too was in a similar situation, holding pre covid tickets LHR-BKK-AKL return and of course had the same ticket reactivation problems as you in that TG would only take me as far as Australia.

TG in Bangkok happily checked me through SYD from my TG tickets to the separate NZ flights I had booked myself. Your 0720 to 0955 times "should" be sufficient for you to negotiate the international transfer.
Thai-Kiwi and Flyingbiker like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Did you have to clear customs/ security in SYD or just stay in the transit area?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Did you have to clear customs/ security in SYD or just stay in the transit area?
If bags are checked through, and you hold the NZ Boarding Pass should be fine.

Just note that when I was at MEL, the TG gate staff (Menzies contract) wanted to check my bag tags to ensure the QF-tagged bags made the transfer.

That might be one consideration if TG don’t/can’t provide your NZ BP.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 3:29 am

Just security screening at SYD transit. It can be a long queue when busy early in the morning, especially when the airport seems to be short of staff and most of the pax are stressed by the delay this causes.

Delays continue even at quieter times when the two screening lines are reduced to one, and the overworked operators resort to shouting at the pax that they must "do things properly or their bags need to be rescreened and make us all wait longer"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.