Thai Smile refund

Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thai Smile refund

WE cancelled my flight HKG-HKT a month ago (actually they don't fly that route anymore).
I immediately filled the refund form. But no news.
Any experience with WE refunds and how long they take?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:41 pm

I got 2 refunds in Dec and Jan. The first one took one day to get an email saying the refund was approved and money back in my account 2 days later. The second one took 16 days to get an email plus 2 days for it to show up. Both domestic flights and the first one was plus class.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fishy
I got 2 refunds in Dec and Jan. The first one took one day to get an email saying the refund was approved and money back in my account 2 days later. The second one took 16 days to get an email plus 2 days for it to show up. Both domestic flights and the first one was plus class.
Thanks.
I am nearing a month now. And no email.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Over a month now. I called and they said it takes up to 45 days, call back then. WE keeps scheduling flights that they are unlikely to operated and then keep the money for a couple of months (or more) between booking and refund.. Not pleasant.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Over a month now. I called and they said it takes up to 45 days, call back then. WE keeps scheduling flights that they are unlikely to operated and then keep the money for a couple of months (or more) between booking and refund.. Not pleasant.
When I asked them about my refund refund, they said 30 to 45 *business days* or earlier. I was lucky I guess. Thai businesses tend to keep the money that long. My AXA insurance refund took around 45 business days.

That's still faster than bloody Qantas. Been 3 months now lol
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just an update. On 30 March I got an email stating that the refund was approved, although it mentions only one ticket number of my booking which had me and wifey. Still no money to my cc as of today.
I sent email to inquire.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have just spent so much time on this refund, that I feel like giving an update and warning to anyone paying with a foreign credit card (my trip originated in Hong Kong to Phuket paid in HKD).
As mentioned above, we (travelled with wifey on same PNR using my credit card) submitted a refund request after being notified of the cancellation. The flight cancelled by WE, route abandoned for the future, no reroute offered. Six weeks after refund request, we finally got two separate refund-accepted emails on 30 March. By 21 April no refund on credit card, so I called without success ("we will look into the matter") and sent email to customer service. On 28 April (a week later), I received the following email FOR ONE TICKET only:
"Please kindly be informed that yourrefundrequest has been completed on the airline side referred to the referencecodeabove and it was escalated to thebankthat we operate with in order to transfer therefundamount to yourbankas normal, however, we have found that thebanksystem was error caused the money could not be transferred as we expected.
As a result, we regret to inform you that therefundamount needs to be delayed while thebankis fixing their system and we will inform you once again as soon as we have the updated news.
Once again, please accept our sincere regret for the inconvenience caused by this circumstance. While we understand your feeling, we truly regret if this disappoints you but we would like to request your understanding in this respect."

FUN, fun, fun.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
brunos - sorry to hear that. Bad service not limited to low cost carriers.

Flying in Y on BA Sydney to Bangkok, I paid €50 for an exit row. I originated in NZ on QF metal, BA codeshare. The SYD-BKK boarding pass could not be issued in NZ by QF, and was told to collect in transit or QF lounge.

On collecting it I noticed, my horror, I had been moved to a regular seat. QF lounge staff were helpless, and said I’d need to discuss with BA.

I headed to the gate early to raise they issue with BA staff. They said no resolution possible, talk to Purser/ISM. On board, he said cant do anything, please file a complaint with BA. He ignored my request to move the offending pax despite acknowledging the hard copy receipt and seat selection printout.

I filed a complaint seeking a refund of the €50, but never heard back from BA, and gave up. My exit row was occupied by a tall guy. No idea if a high status holder or just a good talker.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 28, 2022 at 10:37 am
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thai-Kiwi:Indeed, My story is not unique, especially with those non refundable seat selection.especially with these tickets involving several carriers.
But the amount of my refund on these Thai Smile Plus tickets is of a different order of magnitude
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just an update.
Still no money but Thai Smile sent me a document stating that they re-asked their bank to transfer the money back to my credit card, but that the bank system is currently experiencing problems with crediting back foreign credit cards.
The document they sent me (order the bank to pay) was dated 12 April.
The bank is KASIKORNBANK Public Company Limited, one of the largest Thai banks.Weird.
I now know a friend who experienced the same problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.