Chargeback rejected

Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The result of a chargeback depends on the quality of your bank which issued the CC. I had three successful ones with Amex USA while DKB which issues my Lufthansa Mastercard was totally useless.
My experience also, AMEX 👍 VISA less so & hard work on my part
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
The issue here is what if the chargeback as promised never materializes? By then the chargeback window has expired so what other window of recourse do you have to get your money back if the airline fails to follow through?

Can the credit card company keep the chargeback open until you get the refund? I would try any means possible to not allow them to close/deny the chargeback until you have the credit...

Also a good card issuer would issue you a provisional/temporary credit and then reverse it once the official chargeback goes through. Another thing you could try to ask for.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: Thai Royal Orchid Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Emirates Silver
I did a chargeback with Citibank Thailand (using Citibank Prestige) and got ALL my money back for now.

I will keep you updated if I get charged later on but as far as I can see, my chargeback was accepted.

GJ
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
will keep you updated if I get charged later on but as far as I can see, my chargeback was accepted.
Just cancel your card agreement with Citibank Thailand....
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:05 am
Suspended

If you asked Thai for a refund and they said they will grant it, then you CC chargeback is unlikely to succeed, regardless of the timeline. TG is unable to make cash disbursements while undergoing the restructuring under bankruptcy law.
No! This is not how credit card chargebacks are working. Whether the merchant is bankcrupt or not - it does not matter. It is not the merchant (in this case: Thai Airways), who needs to fund a chargeback - but it is the acquirer bank (where Thai holds a merchant account), who needs to fund the chargeback.
That acquirer bank is bound by contractual agreements through Visa/MasterCard with the Issueing Bank (cardholder bank) to fund chargebacks.
In order to reduce the risks for the acquirer -> the acquirer is withholding a so-called "Holdback" from the merchant to fund future chargebacks.

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:08 am
Suspended

Can the credit card company keep the chargeback open until you get the refund?
No! The Issuer cannot reopen the chargeback request after many, many months.

Many credit cards seem to be currently rejecting chargeback if the airline replies that it will provide refund (whatever the timing).
This is fraud in my eyes. If the Issuer backs down, the merchant (Thai) has won and (most likely) will never issue a cash refund.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:32 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by true1976
I did a chargeback with Citibank Thailand (using Citibank Prestige) and got ALL my money back for now.

I will keep you updated if I get charged later on but as far as I can see, my chargeback was accepted.

GJ
When you say you got all your money back, has Citibank informed you the chargeback is settled?

Seems to me I did a chargeback where I got a credit on my account while they were investigating the chargeback. Once it was settled we were done. Had it not been settled in my favor they’d have reversed the credit and I’d owe the money in the next statement.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:30 pm

Asked chargeback about 2 months ago. Haven't heard anything since then.I was sure I would not get my money back. But yesterday a got an information letter chargeback was successful!! :-) So happy right now. The money is already there. That was a nice and unexpected surprise :-)
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:46 am
Suspended

Had it not been settled in my favor they’d have reversed the credit and I’d owe the money in the next statement.
Well, you are simply not going to pay that statement due to a fraudulent charge.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by warakorn
Well, you are simply not going to pay that statement due to a fraudulent charge.
This is why I asked true1976 to clarify.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by yosithezet
This is why I asked true1976 to clarify.
It would also be poor advice in many countries to simply fail to pay the credit card invoice. The charges will simply remain on the books, interest will accumulate, if one does not timely make even a minimum payment late fees will accumulate and eventually, the credit account will be cancelled and the matter turned over to collections.

At that point, one's credit is possibly destroyed and that can have negative consequences for many aspects of life.

If one is unable to obtain satisfaction, one must make a decision as to whether: 1. Moves on and forgets it. 2. Files a small claims (or similar) case if there is a jurisdiction which has the procedure, 3. Turns the matter over to one of the claims agents (who only take cases they believe they can win) and forgoes 25-33% of what is due as the fee to the agent.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Wow, this is not the way to deal with a charge that one wishes to dispute. Refraining from paying installments otherwise due to the card issuer is a very bad idea IMO.
Thai-Kiwi and Often1 like this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jul 30, 2020 at 2:46 am
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Wow what great (not!) advice
If your CC company determines that the chargeback is not to happen, then they determine that the charge is not fraudulent and you have to pay. Failing to do so will eventually lead to severe damage to your credit rating if things go to collections.

As others mention, you can take it to court, but TG is protected (for now) from creditors while under deliberation of the bankruptcy court.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No! The Issuer cannot reopen the chargeback request after many, many months.

This is fraud in my eyes. If the Issuer backs down, the merchant (Thai) has won and (most likely) will never issue a cash refund.
This doesn't make sense to me, at least for the way USA credit cards work. Thai should be processing the refund through the credit card and AFAIK it wouldn't matter to anyone whether they give a "refund" in response to a chargeback or let the chargeback stand unless it somehow delays when they must pay. It they do the refund for some reason, refunding to the original form of payment means that the credit card account shows the refund, so it's easy to verify whether this was actually done or not.

However, if the ticket had been purchased with a combination of money, points, and vouchers (or gift cards, etc.), I guess they could refund just the money portion and the customer would need to go back to the credit card and try to "prove" (but it shouldn't be the customer's burden) that the points and/or vouchers weren't returned, but these items normally wouldn't be part of the chargeback anyway.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This doesn't make sense to me, at least for the way USA credit cards work. Thai should be processing the refund through the credit card and AFAIK it wouldn't matter to anyone whether they give a "refund" in response to a chargeback or let the chargeback stand unless it somehow delays when they must pay. It they do the refund for some reason, refunding to the original form of payment means that the credit card account shows the refund, so it's easy to verify whether this was actually done or not.

However, if the ticket had been purchased with a combination of money, points, and vouchers (or gift cards, etc.), I guess they could refund just the money portion and the customer would need to go back to the credit card and try to "prove" (but it shouldn't be the customer's burden) that the points and/or vouchers weren't returned, but these items normally wouldn't be part of the chargeback anyway.
I don't think that's it at all. The suggestion was that if one disagrees with a negative chargeback decision, e.g., the amount charged is not credited (refunded) to the card account, that one simple does not pay the credit card bill. That is indeed poor advice and can lead as noted above to significant negative consequences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.