Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bankruptcy email

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Bankruptcy email

Did anyone else who is waiting for a refund from the past few months get an email with regards to bankruptcy court etc?

Do we know how this will impact on our possible refunds (and pending chargebacks)?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Did anyone else who is waiting for a refund from the past few months get an email with regards to bankruptcy court etc?

Do we know how this will impact on our possible refunds (and pending chargebacks)?
I received an email. I have 6 flights in 3 PNRs where I have requested date flexibility - so no refund sought and nothing as a credit vouchers. Fare rules allow refund less a fee if THB 2000.

Link provided by the Bankruptcy Court’s email lists a range of debtors who are instructed to pay the Court. Many airlines (not SQ as far as I could see).https://app-a.nipamail.com/track/cli...Fcbctg0001.pdf
wordchild likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 5:12 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Got the email, but could not read the document in Thai.

The govt will end up bailing the company out - far too much loss of pride and face if it went bankrupt. The restructuring/reorganisation is likely to be quite light - it will not address the underlying issues and fundamental problems with the airline - and with govt support TG will continue operating largely unchanged.

The airline had a chance under Piyasvasti Amranand - he was tearing into the corruption and incompetence. Unfortunately, his management was making life a little too uncomfortable for some who had vested interests, and he was forced out. Since then, TG has been a basket case. In a western economy, the airline would be allowed to go bankrupt and would re-emerge without all the baggage of the past. That just will not happen for TG.

For those awaiting refunds, I suspect they’re probably safe, although it may take a while for them to be processed.
andyptrav likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hgp
Got the email, but could not read the document in Thai.
The 292 page document I linked has English translation of the documents (it is a compendium of letters sent to THAI’s creditors).
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by Dan1113

I cannot answer your question, but FYI did receive 2 refunds in full (i.e.without any fee being deducted) last week. One was for a ticket purchased in Thailand and the other purchased in another country.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by maerim
I cannot answer your question, but FYI did receive 2 refunds in full (i.e.without any fee being deducted) last week. One was for a ticket purchased in Thailand and the other purchased in another country.
Lucky you! I have been waiting for months.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: TG Plat
Originally Posted by hgp;32451856

The airline had a chance under [color=#202122
Piyasvasti Amranand - he was tearing into the corruption and incompetence. Unfortunately, his management was making life a little too uncomfortable for some who had vested interests, and he was forced out. Since then, TG has been a basket case. In a western economy, the airline would be allowed to go bankrupt and would re-emerge without all the baggage of the past. That just will not happen for TG.[/color]

For those awaiting refunds, I suspect they’re probably safe, although it may take a while for them to be processed.
I read somewhere that Amranand is now on the new board.

I am quite a large creditor for a PAX and I agree that bookings and refunds will be honoured when TG is "reorganised" for the reason HGP gives and commercially it will be suicide not to.
TG put back flying to Europe until Aug 1st recently but I suspect it will be long after that and the rumour is October. I can't see them running 2 flights a day to London before late 2021 and that is relying on having 2 slots which is far from certain.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by hgp
The govt will end up bailing the company out - far too much loss of pride and face if it went bankrupt. The restructuring/reorganisation is likely to be quite light - it will not address the underlying issues and fundamental problems with the airline - and with govt support TG will continue operating largely unchanged.

The airline had a chance under Piyasvasti Amranand - he was tearing into the corruption and incompetence. Unfortunately, his management was making life a little too uncomfortable for some who had vested interests, and he was forced out. Since then, TG has been a basket case. In a western economy, the airline would be allowed to go bankrupt and would re-emerge without all the baggage of the past. That just will not happen for TG.
According to the Bangkok Post, "THAI workers' jobs 'safe for now' ". The article continues "The management of Thai Airways International (THAI) insists job terminations are not in the pipeline for at least a year even though downsizing the fleet and cutting routes are part of its six-point strategy to turn the business around." So there will be no attempt to address overstaffing it seems. It is hard to imagine a return to profitability. I note TG does not plan to resume any flying until August at the earliest.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...s-safe-for-now
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only a minor creditor here in NZ at around $US1200.

Hopefully I can get over before Dec 2021 when my now open dated (and refundable) tickets finally expire.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 4:33 am
Original Poster

My ticket was cancelled by them in mid-March and refunded at that point, so three months and counting so far!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
We have 2 Akl -LHR tickets in J originally scheduled for May, one revenue and one points. They are now valid until Dec 2021, fingers crossed we will still be able to use them.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Got another email today. Who knows what it means.

Dear Valued Customers,

Thai Airways Public Company Limited (“THAI”) has filed a petition for business reorganization with the Central Bankruptcy Court on 26 May 2020. Currently, the petition is pending the Central Bankruptcy Court's consideration. In the future, should the court grant the Company's business reorganization and appoint the planner, there will be the process of debt repayment filing with the official receiver within a period of 1 month from the date where the court’s order on the appointment of the planner is published in the Royal Gazette. This process is expected to begin around early September to October 2020 or afterwards.

THAI hereby affirms that our policy is to facilitate and accommodate all refund-requesting customers to the best of our ability so as to minimize any burden of the customers. We discussed with the nominated planner to specify conditions in the business reorganization plan to ensure coverage and entitlement of all refund-requesting customers. Thus, each customer shall be safeguarded from any inconvenience and expenditure due to the debt repayment filing with the official receiver during the business reorganization proceeding because their right shall be preserved under the business reorganization plan.

In this regard, the Company would like to further accommodate the refund-requesting customers as they might wish to verify information with respect to their rights. Therefore, we are developing an IT feature to enable our customers in so doing via the online channel. Any updates shall be notified to you soon.

THAI sincerely apologizes to our customers regarding the business reorganization proceeding, which temporarily barred us from proceeding with the airfare refund. On this occasion, we would like to express its gratitude for your kind understanding and longstanding patronage. We have high hope to return to our normal services following the easing of Thailand’s COVID-19 surveillance, prevention, and control measures in respect of inbound and outbound flights.

Sincerely yours

Thai Airways international Public Company Limited
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks almost like an IT portal to query the system status of refunds or wot not. Maybe just in my dreams.....
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Anyone who tried a charge back yet? I don't have much trust in TG's process or their word that tickets will be valid at sometime in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.