Contacting Thai Airways

Old Apr 18, 20, 1:47 am

Programs: TG Plat
I doubt very much economy was full, I considered booking the very last TG BKK - LHR flight and this was far from full in all classes.
Why did you not take a walk through economy during the flight?
Maybe the Hotel rep called an agent, A lot more commission to split on a business class seat. Check who your credit card payment was in favour of.

In any event I very much doubt your insurance company will pay when other airlines were available e.g. EVA and Qatar, both still flying.
Old Apr 18, 20, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyptrav View Post
I doubt very much economy was full, I considered booking the very last TG BKK - LHR flight and this was far from full in all classes.
Maybe the Hotel rep called an agent, A lot more commission to split on a business class seat. Check who your credit card payment was in favour of.

In any event I very much doubt your insurance company will pay when other airlines were available e.g. EVA and Qatar, both still flying.
You may doubt it was full but you are wrong and the time of booking was 8 hours after the UK FCO said all brits abroad to return home so there was a valid reason for it to be full. I was told when I booked it that it was full, it was full when I got on the plane and I walked through the economy cabin on the flight and it was full and business class was full as well. The hotel rep who I trust called the airline directly and it was booked with Thai airways directly. Im confident they will pay out and pay out for business class. Eva had cancelled 2 out of 3 flights over the next 3 days
Old Apr 18, 20, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by andyptrav View Post

How can you know what flight OP was on or what the inventory was during the time of booking?
Old Apr 18, 20, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
How can you know what flight OP was on or what the inventory was during the time of booking?
Ok, fair comment.
It will be an exceptional insurance company that pays out for business class if other airlines or alternative dates had economy available amd this is true even if the OP had an existing ticket with TG that part paid for the booking.
Old Apr 18, 20, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Of course without knowing the merits of the case you could easily think that but I'm confident they will pay for business class flights.
Old Apr 18, 20, 11:58 pm

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by MV Owner View Post
Of course without knowing the merits of the case you could easily think that but I'm confident they will pay for business class flights.
Hope everything works out well, MV Owner. Some people on here seem to think that they know everything about everybody’s business - don’t pay attention to them and rely on the sound advise of others like LondonElite
Old Apr 19, 20, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
Hope everything works out well, MV Owner. Some people on here seem to think that they know everything about everybody’s business - don’t pay attention to them and rely on the sound advise of others like LondonElite
Many thanks SKT and London Elite, Im confident I will be able to claim back the money for the business class flights
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Apr 19, 20, 2:49 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MV Owner View Post
Many thanks SKT and London Elite, Im confident I will be able to claim back the money for the business class flights
Good luck. My travel insurance company has a general exclusion for epidemic/pandemic or likely epidemic/pandemic - they have sole discretion to determine what the threshold is for ‘likely’ is.

I purchased my travel insurance last Sep for this April. They are saying sorry, but no cover as it is all COVID related....
Old Apr 19, 20, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Many thanks Kiwi, My insurance firm have confirmed that I am fully covered for COVID. I am sorry to hear of your news though, Insurance Companies never seem to miss a trick
Old Apr 19, 20, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Good luck. My travel insurance company has a general exclusion for epidemic/pandemic or likely epidemic/pandemic - they have sole discretion to determine what the threshold is for ‘likely’ is.

I purchased my travel insurance last Sep for this April. They are saying sorry, but no cover as it is all COVID related....
Time to shop around?
Old Apr 19, 20, 5:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
The issue on whether insurance will pay out for travel curtailment (I assume that's the applicable part for the OP) is entirely based on it's wording and whether "epidemic" or "government advice" or other applicable phrase is used in the inclusions or not used in the exclusions list. And in the case of curtailment I am yet to see a policy that says you must take the next ECONOMY flight. Sometimes economical or cheapest - but unless stated otherwise, if the next flight is first class only you would still be entitiled to a payout...subject probably to their upper limit. I read my policies.

I have travel insurance which I will claim off (for cancellation). It's a Philippine based policy and does have a clause for Epidemic. I expect to have a valid claim for cancellation.

It all depends on the wording of the policy.
Old Apr 19, 20, 5:46 am
Original Poster

thanks Ahopkins. I am trying to claim for curtailment under COVID 19 and the insurer have confirmed that they will be paying out under COVID 19. Im confident I have a good case and that can prove that Economy was full. I have also given other evidence of how I have reduced other parts of the claim from substaintial claim amounts to zero. I am confident they will pay out for my claim. Good luck with your claim
Old Apr 19, 20, 8:30 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Time to shop around?
I suspect I won’t be alone on the planet when looking at the general policy exclusions should I ever have the need to travel again...

PS. I was mostly aware of contents of the general exclusions, but the 3 point font and the phrase ‘..or likely pandemic...’ slipped through my usually fussy radar.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 19, 20 at 9:07 pm
Old Apr 20, 20, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by ahopkins767 View Post

It all depends on the wording of the policy.
Absolutely, this is in my annual policy

Special conditions relating to claims:
1. In the event of Curtailment of the Trip, You must contact Us first and allow Us to make all the necessary travel arrangements.

General Conditions
In the event of an emergency or any occurrence that may give rise to a claim for more than £500 under this insurance, You must contact Us as soon as possible

No doubt MV has a better policy than me.

I chose my policy mainly because of the extensive medical cover and that it includes mountain biking and motor cycling which many policies exclude, Every year the small print gets more extensive and this crisis will reinforce that.
Old Apr 20, 20, 4:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
That's an unusual clause that the insurers desire to take control of booking...but each to their own.

My policies are bought usually on
A) Ease of payment (not all PHL based insurers accept straight online purchases - or allow you to name multiple destinations.
B) Schengen cover (as my wife is a visa national for Europe.
C) trip delay/cancellation
D) whether non-Philippine resident nationals can be named on the policy (In the UK I find it hard to find policies that my wife can be named on).
E) Whether insurance continues for dual nationals in their country of other nationality.

Even with insurance, chargebacks and flexibility to rebook flights, I still stand to lose 000s of USD in non recoverable visa, insurance and the ole "fare difference". Still. This has pursuaded my cold fearing wife to have a christmas holiday in Europe...so there's plenty of opportunity in this all. :-D

Search this Thread
Search Engine: