FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Fastest Way to Get TG ROP Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/2015071-fastest-way-get-tg-rop-gold.html)

obie4eva Apr 4, 2020 8:34 am

Fastest Way to Get TG ROP Gold

Hello there,
I am looking for information to update my current status i.e ROP Silver to GOLD/ Platinum.
1. I already have TG amex platinum card but I was unable to fly enough get GOLD status because of wife's illness. I live in Bangkok permanently and have K Bank wisdom card-Amex TG Platinum-Citi ROP Select MasterCard - SCB Prime.
2. I will be travelling to Caribbean and Europe and 6 different trips to Asia mostly to Korea , Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
3. If there is anything I need to do kindly guide me through. I will be travelling on Business class. I have 70k TG ROP miles on TG account, 55k on amex card and 100k on Citi card.
4. What other one-world flying miles program should i choose, which airline is better, Kindly guide me through. I can even apply Amex platinum they sent me invitation to apply and citi prestige, what else should be done ?
I would like to thank you to every one who is going to help me in advance. Stay safe:)

SKT-DK Apr 4, 2020 10:25 pm

Welcome to FT first of all.
I think the answer to your question can be summarised to: book your travels on TG and Star Alliance. With your state’s travel pattern, I think you should be able to get there fairly easy if all is booked in J.

TG may not be the best for crediting partner premium class flights, but being based in Bangkok I would say it still would be a better choice, especially if you already started building up a points balance.

The two-year validity of status is an added bonus too.

I cannot see neither Wisdom nor Prime credit cards doing much in this regard unless they have a fast-track to ROP Gold. I seem to remember that some of the top cards used to have something like that - so may be worth looking in to.

Originally Posted by obie4eva (Post 32263197)
4. What other one-world flying miles program should i choose, which airline is better,

Not sure what you mean here? OneWorld is a competing alliance and will not help you on TG status. If you mean you are considering switching to OneWorld, then you need to detail your travel pattern a bit more.

Hope that helps a bit :)

obie4eva Apr 5, 2020 7:32 am

Hello skt - dk
Thanks for replying. I will be applying citi prestige card and amex platinum soon. With amex Thai Platinum i had the option to had fast track update to ROP Gold, I was not able to achieve that because wife was sick.
Other card that provides same option to fast track upgrade to TG ROP Gold is by citi royal orchid plus preferred that I am not interested in it because I already have citi rop select MasterCard.

So I guess I will be flying in J class and I was also interested in applying for a oneworld millage program so I asked which airline is better that is member of oneworld program, like CX or Qatar or other airlines so that i can use that too

SKT-DK Apr 6, 2020 1:39 am

You are very welcome.

For oneworld, I suggest you evaluate your flying pattern in terms of airlines, as some programmes are very much geared towards flying on their own metal (BA, JAL come to mind). Personally, I am still sticking to BA even after I relocated to Thailand, and still manage to retain gold through mainly partner airlines (well let’s see how this year turns out for that..). There is the caveat of having to do four BA segments in your qualifying year, but aside from that the rest can be on any oneworld airline. Not sure about others, but Finnair should be fairly popular option too, I believe.

There is a wealth of knowledge residing in the BA board on FT, so I suggest you dig around there for a bit - I believe there are several threads on comparisons between OW programmes which will come up of you search.

obie4eva Apr 7, 2020 7:22 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 32268402)
You are very welcome.

For oneworld, I suggest you evaluate your flying pattern in terms of airlines, as some programs are very much geared towards flying on their own metal (BA, JAL come to mind). Personally, I am still sticking to BA even after I relocated to Thailand, and still manage to retain gold through mainly partner airlines (well let’s see how this year turns out for that..). There is the caveat of having to do four BA segments in your qualifying year, but aside from that the rest can be on any oneworld airline. Not sure about others, but Finnair should be fairly popular option too, I believe.

There is a wealth of knowledge residing in the BA board on FT, so I suggest you dig around there for a bit - I believe there are several threads on comparisons between OW programs which will come up of you search.

Thanks a lot for the information provided. I'll have a look at BA miles program. Thanks a lot indeed. I would be flying to asia, Canada, EU and Caribbean countries so I would definitely need 1 airline miles program from Oneworld.
I personally like CA, Qatar Airways, Etihad and Emirates airlines and BA too. Let's see.