FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Coronavirus self-quarantine. Waivers? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/2011633-coronavirus-self-quarantine-waivers.html)

RTWFF Mar 5, 2020 4:52 pm

Coronavirus self-quarantine. Waivers?

"The quarantine announcement, published in the official Royal Gazette on Thursday, classified South Korea, China, Macao, Hong Kong, Italy and Iran as "dangerous communicable disease areas. This means that all arrivals from these places, including those that transit through them, will have to provide the authorities with their address and travel plan and be self-quarantined for 14 days." per Reuters. I wonder what this will do for TG's coronavirus waivers

transpac Mar 5, 2020 7:05 pm

I do not think this Reuters story is accurate.

I have yet to see any local Thai press on this, and think some of the foreign articles are based on A-Nut-in's (Minister of Public Health) original idiocy. I also don't think anything like this has been gazetted. (Yes, Covid-19 has been added to the list of infectious diseases. Yes, some countries have been designated as high-risk.)

There has been some talk about:

forced quarantining (some) Thai's repatriated from certain parts of Korea

people being responsible for self-quarantining https://www.nationthailand.com/news/...ernal_referral

Confusion is the order of the day, hardly surprising from this "government". No one knows what is meant by "self-quarantine"? There have been reports of daily reports, visits by the authorities, 20,000 baht fines, etc.

I guess I wouldn't recommend flying to Thailand unless you are at least prepared for some challenges?

I would hope TG allows for waivers and even refunds, for those traveling from the six designated areas?

If you are flagged on arrival with a fever then I'm not sure what may or may not happen?

RTWFF Mar 5, 2020 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 32147944)
I do not think this Reuters story is accurate. I have yet to see any local Thai press on this, and think some of the foreign articles are based on A-Nut-in's (Minister of Public Health) original idiocy. I also don't think anything like this has been gazetted. (Yes, Covid-19 has been added to the list of infectious diseases. Yes, some countries have been designated as high-risk.)

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...-thailand.html quoting the Royal Gazette

However in true "This Is Thailand" fashion, the relevant minister is reported in Khaosod English as having "withdrawn" the gazetted instruction - https://www.khaosodenglish.com/polit...rantine-order/

RTWFF Mar 5, 2020 10:53 pm

Living up to its moniker "Amazing Thailand" comes the latest announcement in this farce, release at midday Bangkok time. Yep, the self-quarantine is back on again - https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/...s-territories/

youthagainsttt Mar 5, 2020 11:10 pm

I think it is definitely back on, I've heard from a few sources this is the case

hmv Mar 6, 2020 2:17 am

But some sources now mention it is only when running a fever and not mandatory...

Cant they just be clear on this matter..?

chris63 Mar 6, 2020 3:29 am

Originally Posted by hmv (Post 32148701)
But some sources now mention it is only when running a fever and not mandatory...

Cant they just be clear on this matter..?

It would be the first time anything is clear in the Land of Smiles, I’m not taking the risk & cancelled my ticket

meremale Mar 9, 2020 11:49 pm

THAI Requires Health Certificate Clarifying No Risk of COVID-19 from Passengers Traveling from Disease Infected Zones in Following to CAAT Announcement

09 March 2020

Mr. Sumeth Damrongchaitham, President, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI), said that in reference to the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) announcement that all Thai airlines operating flights in the high risk areas which Ministry of Public Health announced that any territories outside the Kingdom of Thailand defined as Disease Infected Zones of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, where the Republic of Korea, the People’s Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macao Special Administration Regions), the Republic of Italy, and the Islamic Republic of Iran are defined as Disease Infected Zones of COVID-19. In order to provide practical guidance, THAI requires its passengers traveling from the Republic of Korea (Seoul and Pusan), the People’s Republic of China (Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, and Guangzhou), the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Macao Special Administrative Region and the Republic of Italy (Rome and Milan), to present a health certificate clarifying No Risk Of COVID-19 prior to boarding pass issuance. In addition, passengers are required to fill the T 8 form issued under the Communicable Disease Act B.E. 2558 (2015) and present to Disease Control Officers at the quarantine office in their destination airports in Thailand.

For flight and/or route adjustments, passengers may contact the THAI Sale Offices, visit thaiairways.com, or call the THAI Contact Center at Tel. 0-2356-1111, 24 hours a day.

Medical certificate clarifying no risk of COVID-19 form Click here

chris63 Mar 10, 2020 6:15 am

I imagine that certification difficult to obtain.

I wonder when they are going to reduce capacity, FRA gets A380 & A359 daily & I’m told they are empty......

RTWFF Mar 10, 2020 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 32163964)
I wonder when they are going to reduce capacity, FRA gets A380 & A359 daily & I’m told they are empty......

I understand that airlines are indeed flying almost empty aircraft so they don't lose their prized landing slots at some airports through "inactivity"

daniellam Mar 10, 2020 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 32163964)
I imagine that certification difficult to obtain.

On the contrary, I would suppose that in some places, it would actually be very easy to obtain by paying a "bribe".

andyptrav Mar 11, 2020 12:59 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF (Post 32166043)
I understand that airlines are indeed flying almost empty aircraft so they don't lose their prized landing slots at some airports through "inactivity"

Brussells has just announced a suspension of the "use it or lose it" rule on airport slots so expect a raft of cancellations to come soon.
I would imagine one of the two flights to London daily will be suspended and whichever remains will have the A380. That is assuming Heathrow do not have their own contracted rules in this regard which is I suppose very likely but would they dare to enforce them?

chris63 Mar 11, 2020 1:25 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF (Post 32166043)

That rule was already suspended in EU

brunos Mar 11, 2020 5:33 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 32167837)
That rule was already suspended in EU

This rule is not yet suspended in the EU, but it will.
Yesterday, von der Leyen said: “The Commission will put forward, very rapidly, legislation. We want to make it easier for airlines to keep their airport slot even if they do not operate flights in those slots because of the declining traffic."
Several other airports, including Hong Kong, have or are in the process of suspending similar rules.

unusualtravelblog Mar 14, 2020 3:57 am

My LX flight got cancelled and I got rebooked on HKG-BKK-BRU. Will I have trouble transiting in BKK as I am coming from a "high risk area"?