Thai award availability

Old Jan 8, 20, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Thai award availability

Can we share anyone's experience / insight into award availability and release patterns of Thai airways?

I will be trying to book a *A award from EU to New Zealand in J via Turkish Miles&Smiles program, would be travelling in August.

From what I have found so far, TG seems to have good J availability over the following 2-3 months (app thru April) and only X available later on. Is this their pattern - releasing only X initially and then J app 2-3 months out? Or is it winter low season that results in more award availability now?
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:04 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ijakov View Post
Can we share anyone's experience / insight into award availability and release patterns of Thai airways?

I will be trying to book a *A award from EU to New Zealand in J via Turkish Miles&Smiles program, would be travelling in August.

From what I have found so far, TG seems to have good J availability over the following 2-3 months (app thru April) and only X available later on. Is this their pattern - releasing only X initially and then J app 2-3 months out? Or is it winter low season that results in more award availability now?

Others might have a different opinion, but TG doesn’t appear to have a reliable and predictable pattern for releasing X (eco) or I (biz) award availability.

Factors to consider on seeking availability on TG:

the timing of NZ school holidays in August
the timing of Thai holidays that are useful for a winter break in NZ
consider EU to Australia, and then Aust to Nz in eco via Air NZ (paid or award)
TG flys double daily to MEL/SYD, and less frequency to PER/BNE

Award availability is often snapped up many month is advance, especially on high demand routes at desirable times of the year.
Old Jan 8, 20, 6:02 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Others might have a different opinion, but TG doesn’t appear to have a reliable and predictable pattern for releasing X (eco) or I (biz) award availability.

Factors to consider on seeking availability on TG:

the timing of NZ school holidays in August
the timing of Thai holidays that are useful for a winter break in NZ
consider EU to Australia, and then Aust to Nz in eco via Air NZ (paid or award)
TG flys double daily to MEL/SYD, and less frequency to PER/BNE

Award availability is often snapped up many month is advance, especially on high demand routes at desirable times of the year.
Apart from what TK wrote NZ is a popular country for Thais to study in either at University or as an Exchange Student. Parents of such students travel with them or go to NZ to be be with them during Uni/school vacations. Over the last 20 years or so I have known many such families and most would not bat an eyelid at travelling paid for BC (for their child/children or themselves. So be flexible with your dates/routes and you will probably have a better chance.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:46 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
August is high season for summer holidays in Europe; many will be going to Asia and have booked (award) tickets already. Moreover, if also many in Thailand/Asia will be going to NZ during that time, it is going to be very difficult to find I class availability. Relying on I class to be come available for flights to BKK and furthermore also for BKK-NZ is very likely to fail, sorry.
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I have booked J and F with THAI over the years and never noticed any pattern, except trying to be flexible myself and keep checking, ideally, 1 year ahead. That's the pain of acquiring award tickets, unfortunately. :/
anaidross and maerim like this.
Old Jan 17, 20, 5:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I use Avianca's LifeMiles to book (or attempt to book more accurately) TG flights between Australia/NZ and Bangkok. In my experience there's often Economy availability months in advance (I've just booked some seats for June BKK-MEL) but Business only a couple of weeks in advance and then it's not every day. For BKK-SYD I'd never book Business as, at best, the seat is what passes for Premium Economy on other airlines, but there's quite often F availability, sometimes many weeks in advance. BKK-AKL is rarely available (AKL-BKK a bit more available) but TG's A350s and 787s lack the "every seat is an aisle seat" configuration of other airlines which makes me prefer other airlines (if ever available)
Old Jan 17, 20, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
....but TG's A350s and 787s lack the "every seat is an aisle seat" configuration of other airlines which makes me prefer other airlines (if ever available)
Huh? The 789 which flies BKK-AKL has ‘every seat is an aisle’ (the 788 does not). The 359 likewise has aisle access for every seat..
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Huh? The 789 which flies BKK-AKL has ‘every seat is an aisle’ (the 788 does not). The 359 likewise has aisle access for every seat..
Must have been looking at a 788 seating plan
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
Must have been looking at a 788 seating plan
I suspect you must have been...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: