BKK Connection on Separate Tickets

Old Dec 28, 19, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Ambassador
BKK Connection on Separate Tickets

I am looking at options from IAD to CNX. One option I found is to fly TG CNX-BKK and then NH BKK-NRT-IAD on a separate ticket. If I'm Star Gold, will TG check my bag through at BKK? How long of a connection should I have to be safe? I'm finding much better options if I buy IAD-NRT-BKK and then BKK-CNX separately. For example, I can fly TG on the NRT-BKK segment for the same price but if I add the BKK-CNX segment it gets much more expensive and have never flown TG. Will likely overnight at the BKK novotel on the way there. Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:01 pm

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
If you fly TG even on separate tickets they normally will do thru check in.
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
If you fly TG even on separate tickets they normally will do thru check in.
Great, thanks! Just in case they won't check through, is 3 hours ok? Will Thai Smile check through since it's the same company?
Old Dec 28, 19, 5:37 pm

3 hours normally should be enough in BKK. Domestic and International are in the same building, just lots of walking.
But keep in mind: If your first flight is delayed and you miss the check in deadline there is no obligation for the second carrier to transport you and depending on the type of ticket you might need to buy a completely new ticket. The risk is obviously far bigger on the return, so you might want to move your night in BKK to the return.
Old Dec 28, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
I am not sure about Thai Smile (WE) checking bags through to NH, even if buying the TG code-share. Iíd be fussy and book on the non-codeshare TG wide body for the BKK-CNX-BKK sectors.

Thai International (TG) will have no problems checking you through on separate tickets.

Thai Smile (WE) is a LCC, and is not even a *A connecting partner. There are no *A benefits for non-TG *G, although WE does treat TG*Gs relatively well.
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
3 hours normally should be enough in BKK. Domestic and International are in the same building, just lots of walking.
But keep in mind: If your first flight is delayed and you miss the check in deadline there is no obligation for the second carrier to transport you and depending on the type of ticket you might need to buy a completely new ticket. The risk is obviously far bigger on the return, so you might want to move your night in BKK to the return.
Thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
I am not sure about Thai Smile (WE) checking bags through to NH, even if buying the TG code-share. Iíd be fussy and book on the non-codeshare TG wide body for the BKK-CNX-BKK sectors.

Thai International (TG) will have no problems checking you through on separate tickets.

Thai Smile (WE) is a LCC, and is not even a *A connecting partner. There are no *A benefits for non-TG *G, although WE does treat TG*Gs relatively well.
Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 19, 2:22 am

Programs: Thai, Hyatt
If you go all the way through on Thai you will do immigration in Changmai, not in BKK.
Old Dec 31, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Global Entry, Nat'l ExeElite, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy View Post
I am looking at options from IAD to CNX. One option I found is to fly TG CNX-BKK and then NH BKK-NRT-IAD on a separate ticket. If I'm Star Gold, will TG check my bag through at BKK? How long of a connection should I have to be safe? I'm finding much better options if I buy IAD-NRT-BKK and then BKK-CNX separately. For example, I can fly TG on the NRT-BKK segment for the same price but if I add the BKK-CNX segment it gets much more expensive and have never flown TG. Will likely overnight at the BKK novotel on the way there. Thanks!
Have you looked at to connect through TPE? Eva has a non stop TPE to CNX.
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northsideguy View Post
Have you looked at to connect through TPE? Eva has a non stop TPE to CNX.
I did look but the times didnít work as well, but would love to try EVA!
Old Jan 1, 20, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
I did look but the times didnít work as well, but would love to try EVA!
BR TPE-CNX is once a day, 0715-1030, which only works for those arriving into TPE in the early morning on BR's TPAC fights. The return, CNX-TPE is 1135-1630, to connect to BR's departing TPAC flights.
Old Jan 1, 20, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
BR TPE-CNX is once a day, 0715-1030, which only works for those arriving into TPE in the early morning on BR's TPAC fights. The return, CNX-TPE is 1135-1630, to connect to BR's departing TPAC flights.
Yeah, wasn't digging the 0715 departure after arriving the night before and fare is much higher than flying NH/TG.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Global Entry, Nat'l ExeElite, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yeah, wasn't digging the 0715 departure after arriving the night before and fare is much higher than flying NH/TG.

Just to let you know, at BKK they have moved the location of security screening for domestic flights. All the shops, restaurants, airline lounges are now Pre-Security. For more information, here is link to my post.

BKK Domestic New Security Screening Location
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northsideguy View Post
Just to let you know, at BKK they have moved the location of security screening for domestic flights. All the shops, restaurants, airline lounges are now Pre-Security. For more information, here is link to my post.

BKK Domestic New Security Screening Location
Thanks, appreciate it!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: