ROP Gold upgrade

Old Nov 25, 19, 3:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: ROP
Posts: 1
ROP Gold upgrade

I have currently two gold upgrades available, have book a Q tkt for September 2020 to LHR. I am told I cannot use my gold upgrade as there is no capacity. A quick look on seat guru shows capacity on all segments. Is this part of TG's belt tightening plans.. or are other people able to redeem these awards

Last edited by erko221; Nov 25, 19 at 3:13 am
erko221 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VZ
Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Posts: 982
Originally Posted by erko221 View Post
I have currently two gold upgrades available, have book a Q tkt for September 2020 to LHR. I am told I cannot use my gold upgrade as there is no capacity. A quick look on seat guru shows capacity on all segments. Is this part of TG's belt tightening plans.. or are other people able to redeem these awards
well - "free seats" never means that they will be released for free upgrade or even free award tickets automatically....
upgrades are granted only by quota and nobody will learn any details how these quotas will be allocated and when.....
Creole Spirit is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 10:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,387
Originally Posted by erko221 View Post
I have currently two gold upgrades available, have book a Q tkt for September 2020 to LHR. I am told I cannot use my gold upgrade as there is no capacity. A quick look on seat guru shows capacity on all segments. Is this part of TG's belt tightening plans.. or are other people able to redeem these awards
First, welcome to FT!

Award availability on popular routes such as BKK-LHR is often hard to find as these seats are usually in high demand and quickly taken 10-11 months into the future.

When were you wanting to fly?
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:49 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: RNO, NV, USA.
Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Posts: 4,054
erko221 - Be aware that even though you are buying an economy ticket and using your Gold upgrade, ticket will be expensive. A few months ago my partner, who is ROP G, was able (with difficulty) to find one seat in business BKK-LHR in April. At that time a K fare could be upgraded. It cost 49,200 THB, due to added UK government imposed business departure taxes. (Actually this was CNX-BKK-LHR.)

Welcome to FlyerTalk.
restlessinRNO is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 9:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: Thai Royal Orchid
Posts: 20
I used one of my Gold upgrade awards yesterday for a flight on 10/12 HKG - BKK - BKK - LHR and 27/12 BRU - BKK - BKK - HKG. No issues regarding availability. I paid around 10K HKD.

According to one of Thai's staff form 01/12 there will be an additional charge of 120USD to use an upgrade award.
NTCP8 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:42 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: Thai, Hyatt
Posts: 26
I've been struggling to use mine as I don't always book my tickets, the company I work for does. These days you need a full economy ticket, I believe, to be able to upgrade.

With this change and the points you need for other awards, it's getting less useful to be in a FF program.
Jeff Kerr is offline  
Old Nov 26, 19, 12:06 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,387
Originally Posted by Jeff Kerr View Post
I've been struggling to use mine as I don't always book my tickets, the company I work for does. These days you need a full economy ticket, I believe, to be able to upgrade.

With this change and the points you need for other awards, it's getting less useful to be in a FF program.
From 01 Oct now need Q Flexi fare or better. And these are quite expensive
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Nov 26, 19, 3:27 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VZ
Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Posts: 982
Mr Erko,

I guess the "problem" will be on the SYD-BKK-sectors where capacity/quotas are very limited due to the fact that TG offers only one flight per day.
May I recommend you to have it booked "step-by-step", not in one single step like SYD-LON-SYD but have it done SYD-BKK, then BKK-LHR, then LHR-BKK and finally BKK-SYD.
You will definitely need personal assistance by your local TG office which is overlooking your membership activities - they might be able to help you with your request....

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Nov 26, 19 at 3:51 am
Creole Spirit is offline  
Old Nov 26, 19, 6:53 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: Thai Airways
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit View Post
Mr Erko,

I guess the "problem" will be on the SYD-BKK-sectors where capacity/quotas are very limited due to the fact that TG offers only one flight per day.
May I recommend you to have it booked "step-by-step", not in one single step like SYD-LON-SYD but have it done SYD-BKK, then BKK-LHR, then LHR-BKK and finally BKK-SYD.
You will definitely need personal assistance by your local TG office which is overlooking your membership activities - they might be able to help you with your request....
Or try from and to Melbourne and buy cheap connecting flights.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
maerim is offline  
Old Nov 26, 19, 2:33 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland / New Delhi
Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Posts: 204
I got one recently AKL to LHR, had to buy a Q ticket which was around US$2K. It is getting harder but we usually book around 10 months out it always comes through for us. We do have a particularly helpful reservations agent running the ROP at AKL.
Flyingbiker is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 7:19 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 758
I’ve always found it best to book via my local office ( Melbourne); the staff there are terrific: patient, obliging, helpful, frank. Without their help I would have given up on Thai years ago. I’m guessing other local offices are similar. I’ve not had the same positive experiences dealing with Bangkok.
In respect of LHR, I’ve found it easier to go to Rome, Milan, Vienna, Madrid ( some now cancelled) , spend a couple of days and fly on with a cheap bought ticket . It works for me as I’m under no time constraints. Trying to find award seats to LHR would try the patience of a saint ( not to mention the irritation of the rip-off taxes/charges).
paolo64 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 5:13 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gent, Belgium
Posts: 113
Use your local office indeed.

I have been a Gold member in ROP for over 20 years now.
I have been asking free flights, upgrades etc for this whole period at my Brussels, Belgium office.
There hasn't been a demand that has not been grated, I have always received exactly what I have been asking for; the women over there go at great lengths to fulfill all your - or at least - my wishes.
Indeed sometimes they cannot answer right away, they have 'to ask Bangkok', but invariably 'Bangkok' has said yes.
I must admit that from time to time I bring them of box of chocolates from the very best chocolatier we have here, but isn't that Thai style in the end?
Hendrikje_be is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 4:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: RNO, NV, USA.
Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Posts: 4,054
Lovely chocolates. Possibly I need to buy a box.
restlessinRNO is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread