Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROP Gold upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Coathanger
The TG website doesn’t seem to explicitly mention earn rates and status miles for tickets upgraded with a GUP.

Am I safe in assuming you still earn the status and redeemable miles from the base fare (e.g. Q)?
indeed and Q is the minimum fare to get upgraded to business...
Coathanger likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I would like to post my experience trying to use a ROP Gold Upgrade Award, for flight BKK-MEL return in May 2023. First these awards can only be used by the ROP member, not by a spouse or travelling companion. Then they require purchasing a mid-economy Q fare. This can only be done by phoning TG. Next there must be J business class availability at booking. This is very limited on the Australia routes.

So for a return trip BKK-MEL in May, the super saver fare (V) was 25,470 THB, flexi (V) 30,205 THB, and business class (J) 85,875 THB. A Q fare was 44,205 THB, but there is a GUP upgrade fee of 3,600 THB, and 3,000 THB or so of added business class taxes, for a final fare of over 51,000 THB. So it is a challenge to use these Gold Upgrade certificates, and the benefit is less than anticipated.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I would like to post my experience trying to use a ROP Gold Upgrade Award, for flight BKK-MEL return in May 2023. First these awards can only be used by the ROP member, not by a spouse or travelling companion. Then they require purchasing a mid-economy Q fare. This can only be done by phoning TG. Next there must be J business class availability at booking. This is very limited on the Australia routes.

So for a return trip BKK-MEL in May, the super saver fare (V) was 25,470 THB, flexi (V) 30,205 THB, and business class (J) 85,875 THB. A Q fare was 44,205 THB, but there is a GUP upgrade fee of 3,600 THB, and 3,000 THB or so of added business class taxes, for a final fare of over 51,000 THB. So it is a challenge to use these Gold Upgrade certificates, and the benefit is less than anticipated.
Coincidentally I was also looking at the same thing over the weekend.

The GUP has only ever been available to the member, however we have used the 50% Gold Award for Mrs TK in the past if travelling together.

Previously semi-flexi K fare (75% mileage earning) was required, and the move to full flexi Q (100% mileage earning) fare brought a sharp increase on fare. Especially so if originating in BKK.

Pre-covid it was worth considering takibg a LCC to a near neighbour such as KUL or HAN and buying your TG fare originating there as it was often much cheaper.

The addition of a fee for issue is very unwelcome and has been reported by those inEurope, although none of my ex-NZ tickets from recent times has this ‘award’ fee.

The GUP used to be the shining star aspect of ROP membership, but sadly that seems no longer the case with the pricing of Q economy fares .
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The GUP has only ever been available to the member, however we have used the 50% Gold Award for Mrs TK in the past if travelling together .
Thai-Kiwi - What is the 50% Gold Award, I wonder? 😊
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai-Kiwi - What is the 50% Gold Award, I wonder? 😊
Gold/Plat members can redeem a mileage award at 50% of the usual rate for themselves or a nominated award giftee.

This began life in 2005 as a Gold Birthday Gift (unpublished ROP benefit) where a member could use a 50% award in their birthday month (+/- 1 month). Folks with badly timed birthdays complained so it was opened up into an annual gift at any time.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:50 am

Gold/Plat members can redeem a mileage award at 50% of the usual rate for themselves or a nominated award giftee.

This began life in 2005 as a Gold Birthday Gift (unpublished ROP benefit) where a member could use a 50% award in their birthday month (+/- 1 month). Folks with badly timed birthdays complained so it was opened up into an annual gift at any time.
I confirm that I also have used the 50% award for my wife several times but could never use my PUP for anybody else than myself...

anybody know whether 50% awards are still available this year?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:16 am

I believe the 50% offer is still available but first you would need to find award availability, which I've found to be practically non-existent when I've looked on theTG website. I have lots of miles, but can't find a sensible use for them.
xingby and BinSabai like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:38 am

Thank you for this information. I checked though and for our dates BKK-MEL, only economy class awards are available, at 27,500 miles + taxes, pp each way. (Actually I checked numerous dates and found no business class availability any dates.)

BTW we are looking forward to meeting you in HBA May 26-28 at OzFest. 😊
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:46 am

I checked though and for our dates BKK-MEL, only economy class awards are available, at 27,500 miles + taxes, pp each way. (Actually I checked numerous dates and found no business class availability any dates.)
That's the problem; practically no availability other than economy.

By the time you've paid the taxes, fees, charges, then the additional fees and charges which seem to suddenly appear you get quite close to the cost of a regular paid-for economy fare. Then factor in that you don't earn any miles on the award ticket but would on the paid-for fare and it seems to be rather less than the great value loyalty award you hoped for.
restlessinRNO and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for this information. I checked though and for our dates BKK-MEL, only economy class awards are available, at 27,500 miles + taxes, pp each way. (Actually I checked numerous dates and found no business class availability any dates.)

BTW we are looking forward to meeting you in HBA May 26-28 at OzFest. 😊
Indeed and discussed briefly with jswong . Pity Mrs TK isn't interested in attending - I do recall we have some 'common ground'
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:00 pm

Indeed and discussed briefly with jswong . Pity Mrs TK isn't interested in attending - I do recall we have some 'common ground'
Sorry to hear MrsTK will not be accompanying you. I manage my partner’s ROP Gold account. It is hard for her to get interested in fare classes, qualifying miles, upgrade certificates, … But she likes to have lounge access and turn left when we enter the plane! It will be a surprise to her, meeting Thai speakers in Tasmania!
Thai-Kiwi and SKT-DK like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by 11277m
I believe the 50% offer is still available but first you would need to find award availability, which I've found to be practically non-existent when I've looked on theTG website. I have lots of miles, but can't find a sensible use for them.
which route are you talking about?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
which route are you talking about?
We would need to start with London (or possibly somewhere not too far away; CDG, FRA, ZRH, CPH) to BKK.

I did spend some time last year clicking through the dates on the award availability pages of the ROP website, but found only a couple of flights showing a single J seat. When I asked I was told there was little availability, but flights "might" be available close to departure dates.

There do seem to be slightly more options on, for example BKK to MEL or SYD, and of course on shorter routes within asia.

I remember you were having trouble finding an award from Europe to Bangkok a few months ago.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:23 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I am not sure if it applies to ROP members like it does for partner programmes, but for the latter TG has this weird idea of not releasing award inventory until 90 days before departure.
Could have an impact if that is the case, but I will leave that to the ROP gurus on here (I am still with SK due to my lifetime gold)
11277m likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I am not sure if it applies to ROP members like it does for partner programmes, but for the latter TG has this weird idea of not releasing award inventory until 90 days before departure.
Could have an impact if that is the case, but I will leave that to the ROP gurus on here (I am still with SK due to my lifetime gold)
It has been the case for as long as I can remember that ROP members could book award tickets something like 11 months before departure. I like to be organised in advance!
Thai-Kiwi and SKT-DK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.