Is being denied lounge entry really that serious?!

Old Nov 23, 19, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, CX MPC Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Is being denied lounge entry really that serious?!

I was in the BKK E-gate TG Royal Orchid lounge around 1:15 AM today waiting for my BR206 flight (yes, BR lounge is nicer, but this one was closer to my gate and much less crowded). For about 10 minutes I heard a distant but gradually loudening commotion. Wondering if there was some sort of situation where I might need to intervene or flee I went to inspect.

Turns out it was just a really angry man shouting at the lounge attendants for denying him entry. When I say shouting I mean body leaned forward, red in the face, hands aggressively gesturing, top of the lungs shouting. It seems maybe they questioned if the boarding pass was actually his and then asked for his passport to confirm, and eventually denied him entry.

Predictably the situation ended with authorities coming and detaining him. He was still being detained and questioned 20 minutes later when I left. The lounge attendants were still quite shaken at that point. I don't know how it all ended, but at least he wasn't on my flight.

I just wonder what is it about the TG lounge that made that man feel it was worth the trouble.
Old Nov 23, 19, 8:14 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Agree that it is very sad that this apparently (and without knowing the circumstances) could be such a big deal...
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Sometimes it's more about DYKWIA than actually getting into the lounge.
Jaunt411 and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Nov 23, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
With behaviour like that, I hope he was denied boarding and got to spend the night in a prison cell...! Poor lounge attendants having to face this kind of moronic behaviour
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
And if it was 1:15 am, wouldn't the lounge close shortly as well. Maybe angry man wanted a drink!
Old Nov 24, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by IMissThe747 View Post
I was in the BKK E-gate TG Royal Orchid lounge around 1:15 AM today waiting for my BR206 flight (yes, BR lounge is nicer, but this one was closer to my gate and much less crowded). For about 10 minutes I heard a distant but gradually loudening commotion. Wondering if there was some sort of situation where I might need to intervene or flee I went to inspect.

Turns out it was just a really angry man shouting at the lounge attendants for denying him entry. When I say shouting I mean body leaned forward, red in the face, hands aggressively gesturing, top of the lungs shouting. It seems maybe they questioned if the boarding pass was actually his and then asked for his passport to confirm, and eventually denied him entry.

Predictably the situation ended with authorities coming and detaining him. He was still being detained and questioned 20 minutes later when I left. The lounge attendants were still quite shaken at that point. I don't know how it all ended, but at least he wasn't on my flight.

I just wonder what is it about the TG lounge that made that man feel it was worth the trouble.
Why mention the TG lounge when the person's behavouir is the only issue?
Old Nov 24, 19, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The indvidual's behavior was unacceptable even if he was wrongfully denied access. Nothing excuses aggressive and rude conduct. At a minimum, I would hope that he was denied boarding and possibly banned for some period of time.

There are, of course, places in the world where bullying works quite well and some have quite a rude awakening when they try this conduct out elsewhere.

Last edited by Often1; Nov 24, 19 at 9:49 am
Old Nov 25, 19, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maerim View Post
Why mention the TG lounge when the person's behavouir is the only issue?
I mentioned it for context because that is where this happened.

The TG lounge staff were very professional, and I felt very bad for them having to deal with such behavior.
SKT-DK and Jaunt411 like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 4:25 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by IMissThe747 View Post
I mentioned it for context because that is where this happened.

The TG lounge staff were very professional, and I felt very bad for them having to deal with such behavior.
I always find that offering the staff your contact details in case they are faced with a complaint helps them in situations like this. Perhaps, if you are comfortable with it, you would like to proactively write to TG customer services about the incident in support of the staff - just in case the obnoxious pax will complain.
joy16, chris63, Thai-Kiwi and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
I always find that offering the staff your contact details in case they are faced with a complaint helps them in situations like this. Perhaps, if you are comfortable with it, you would like to proactively write to TG customer services about the incident in support of the staff - just in case the obnoxious pax will complain.
I'm happy to do that. Good idea, thanks.
chris63, Thai-Kiwi, SKT-DK and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 8:17 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
With behaviour like that, I hope he was denied boarding and got to spend the night in a prison cell...! Poor lounge attendants having to face this kind of moronic behaviour
+ 1 👍

Obviously crazy Guy & clearly has no taste either 😉
Old Nov 29, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Such bullies should be filmed and posted on social media. Hopefully, it gets viral and then they will learn to behave.

Last edited by anaidross; Nov 29, 19 at 5:41 pm

Search this Thread