TG970 20 OCT 2019 engine failure

Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
I experienced the 747 "business class" on TG970 on Nov. 8th, and I fear I will again on TG971 on Nov. 17th.

By current business class standards, i.e. Thai A350s and B777s, it doesn't cut it anymore - it's comparable to Premium Economy at best.
The seat does not fully recline (and I found it extremely uncomfortable) and there is no direct aisle access ... I don't pay business class fares to sleep poorly and climb over sleeping neighbours.

Thai Airways may consider it adequate as a replacement, more likely their hand has been forced by the B777 incident, but I don't want to risk a substitution like this any time in the future, so its back to SQ for me.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
So having completed the trips, reporting in with a few pointers:

1. Upon checkin, I asked if they are opening up the F section for J pax on the 747 - it shows that there are pax - however only PAX willing to shell out another THB20,000 were allowed to sit up there. I argued that I did buy a flat bed product, and that they are only providing J service anyway but to no avail.

2. There are now at least 3 - 4 747s lined up at the bus gates at most times at BKK presumably getting them ready for such incident and as noted by SPK with the lack of new planes coming in.

3. Sat on the upper deck and it felt so so dated. Good call on saying its Premium Economy feeling at best and yep, neighbor jumping over me did keep me up. Return on the 777 from LHR was light years better.
Jaunt411 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
So having completed the trips, reporting in with a few pointers:

1. Upon checkin, I asked if they are opening up the F section for J pax on the 747 - it shows that there are pax - however only PAX willing to shell out another THB20,000 were allowed to sit up there. I argued that I did buy a flat bed product, and that they are only providing J service anyway but to no avail.
THAI have very clearly communicated that 'preferred seating' now comes at an additional cost. Those other passengers either paid out, or were 'exempt' from the fee per THAI's stated policy.

Sure, we'd love it to be provided free to ROP status holders, but that isn't the case.

IMHO, absolutely no basis for you to 'win' an argument about this policy - no matter how much you don't like it. To be clear, you shelled out for a business class product, and THAI's T&Cs make no guarantee on the aircraft type. We all know of the 'risk' with THAI of aircraft changes, and if that is a risk one is unwilling to take, then fly with another carrier.....

And yes, I have been 'TGed' more than a few times....
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Seems like TKL is still out of action (at least FR24 shows no flights in the past seven days) - does anybody know TG's plan for this frame?

I am sure this it at least partly related to TKL, but I noticed that the old 772s are making semi-regular appearances on at least the CPH and ARN routes these days which is a pretty big step down in terms of hard product! Are there other 77Ws out of action too, making the matters worse?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Seems like TKL is still out of action (at least FR24 shows no flights in the past seven days) - does anybody know TG's plan for this frame?

I am sure this it at least partly related to TKL, but I noticed that the old 772s are making semi-regular appearances on at least the CPH and ARN routes these days which is a pretty big step down in terms of hard product! Are there other 77Ws out of action too, making the matters worse?
I've just saw on Twitter that TG's B777-300ER 10 out of 14 were affected from FAA EAD after this incident to replace GE90 engines so they grounded these planes. In that article, it said that their maintenance team successfully replaced 6 engines in 5 days.

Last edited by joy16; Jan 24, 2020 at 9:40 am
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thanks K. joy16
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Thanks for the input, K. Joy16 - that does indeed sound like something that would disrupt the whole long haul network !
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: TG Plat
As I posted in another thread TG916/7 has been an A380 17 Jan to date due to this B777 problem but sadly the F cabin was not opened, nor was Y on upper deck. Presumably B777 crew numbers.
I wonder who lost the A380.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.