M&M or ROP : your advice needed

Old Aug 28, 19, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
M&M or ROP : your advice needed

Hello everyone,

I am a M&M Senator (*A Gold) until 02/2021 but will not be able to extend the status due to business travel restrictions for the foreseeable future. I work in Bangkok and do mainly regional traveling in Economy (Singapore, Shanghai 1-2x/quarter) with 2-3 trips to Germany per year. Maybe 1x/year to Australia.

I am thinking about staying with M&M or to change to ROP. What I really like about M&M is the fact that my miles do not expire as I have a M&M credit card. However, as I do not use the credit card regularly, the only way of acquiring miles is through flights. The advantage of ROP would be to collect miles through CC expenses which I have lots of for both personal and work reasons. However, ROP does not give miles for Business Class class P on LH which is the cheapest booking class in Business and which I usually like to book.

I do not actually know where I am better off or where even to start comparing the two programs so that I get a clear picture where I am better off with my travel profile.

Any feedback is appreciated.

With Regards,
SamboSoul
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Miles expire after 3 years in ROP program.

Edited to add: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Last edited by restlessinRNO; Aug 28, 19 at 10:41 pm
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
I think the question would be, will you be able to qualify for ROP Gold (*A Gold) given your travel plans and recognizing that LH Business Class P does not earn miles with TG. Some economy fares on TG earn only 25% or 75% miles.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:02 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Dont forget there are big (negative) changes to ROP with effect from 01 October.

Slightly better earn rate if in premium cabins, but an appalling devaluation for redemption of award tickets.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:39 pm

If you do your flights to Germany and Australia on TG in J, you are already close to SEN requalification. Getting SEN on TG is easier than on LH and you get more award miles as well.

If you get a lot of ROP award miles by your credit card, I would go for SEN by flying and collect ROP miles with other things than flying. ROP could be used for HKT or USM weekends.

Search this Thread