FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Thai Airways looks like it might go out of business. Worth status matching? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1984061-thai-airways-looks-like-might-go-out-business-worth-status-matching.html)

Loogie125 Aug 22, 2019 10:17 am

Thai Airways looks like it might go out of business. Worth status matching?

Looks like Thai Airways has yet to turn a profit. I recently got my gold status on ROP (Dec 18) and want to keep it with *A. Currently I have 42,400k award status miles (Which means only 7k ish to renew the status) and I have always had the thought at the back of my mind on what would happen if TG went out of business.

Should I consider status matching with TK to get Miles&Smiles Elite? (TK*G) Has anyone else with *G tried to status match with Miles&Smiles? Already read the status matcher website which seems to be legit.

Thank you all

pinniped Aug 22, 2019 10:52 am

Your post made me Google it. Nothing I could find in English-language media to suggest that a liquidation is imminent. Lots and lots of articles about financial struggles and potential bankruptcy stretching back many years, but nothing to suggest that flights are going to be halted in the next few hours/days.

SK AAR Aug 22, 2019 1:10 pm

The Thai government will never allow TG to go bust i.e. thai politicians and management loosing face and no VIP treatment with other carriers will make TG survive despite being unprofitable.

CPH-Flyer Aug 22, 2019 5:52 pm

There are other ill managed airlines that never seems to turn a profit that manages to stay alive. Alitalia, Malaysian, Garuda, Aerolineas Argentinas all spring to mind. The key factor is a government willing to foot the bills.

SKT-DK Aug 22, 2019 8:38 pm

It is a state-owned enterprise - it will not be allowed to go under.

Thai-Kiwi Aug 23, 2019 12:06 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31445758)
There are other ill managed airlines that never seems to turn a profit that manages to stay alive. Alitalia, Malaysian, Garuda, Aerolineas Argentinas all spring to mind. The key factor is a government willing to foot the bills.

You can add Air NZ to the list.

Although publicly listed, it was saved by the NZ Govt buying a majority shareholding when it got into deep trouble after buying Ansett australia (which died after the takeover).

CPH-Flyer Aug 23, 2019 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31446553)

You can add Air NZ to the list.

Although publicly listed, it was saved by the NZ Govt buying a majority shareholding when it got into deep trouble after buying Ansett australia (which died after the takeover).

But Air NZ has not continued to be mismanaged? Or have I not followed their trends enough? We need more extended periods of losses and government underwriting before they can join the club. :D

Is the Ansett Australia demise is still being blamed on Air NZ by the Australians? I think Ansett was a case of serious mismanagement of an airline that did actually lead to its demise. Maybe Air NZ did rock the boat a bit extra, but they certainly did not change the inevitable outcome....

LondonElite Aug 23, 2019 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Loogie125 (Post 31444261)
Looks like Thai Airways has yet to turn a profit. I recently got my gold status on ROP (Dec 18) and want to keep it with *A. Currently I have 42,400k award status miles (Which means only 7k ish to renew the status) and I have always had the thought at the back of my mind on what would happen if TG went out of business.

Should I consider status matching with TK to get Miles&Smiles Elite? (TK*G) Has anyone else with *G tried to status match with Miles&Smiles? Already read the status matcher website which seems to be legit.

Thank you all

Thai Airways is majority-owned by the Thai government through shares held by the Ministry of Finance. Turning a profit is desirable but not necessary.

Thai-Kiwi Aug 23, 2019 1:39 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31446575)
But Air NZ has not continued to be mismanaged? Or have I not followed their trends enough? We need more extended periods of losses and government underwriting before they can join the club. :D

Is the Ansett Australia demise is still being blamed on Air NZ by the Australians? I think Ansett was a case of serious mismanagement of an airline that did actually lead to its demise. Maybe Air NZ did rock the boat a bit extra, but they certainly did not change the inevitable outcome....

Air NZ is doing fine, despite the worthless loyalty program :D

thbe Aug 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Change in management: Possible. Change in shareholder structure: Maybe. Going out of business: Very unlikely.

bpe Aug 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by thbe (Post 31448957)
Change in management: Possible. Change in shareholder structure: Maybe. Going out of business: Very unlikely.

Change in management: Probably overdue although nothing will change. Change in shareholder structure: Maybe. Going out of business: Should have a long time ago. but won't.

Without government support, Thai would have shut down or at least drastically changed a long time ago. The fact that they never have speaks to their complacency and many of their problems now.

If you just look on Wikipedia, Google, or Google news there have been more changes and restructurings than I could keep track of, but I from an article last September, I found these wonderful statements:

... the airline will achieve "sustainable profits" by 2027
(their quotation marks, not mine) and

"Don't think that the airline will not go bankrupt because it is government owned," [Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak] warned. "We are serious this time."
so I guess that's a reason to be concerned :rolleyes:

MDOH Aug 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Besides 2016 when there was actually a tiny net profit, for many years the airline has been operationally profitable, with impairment losses on aircraft being the principal factor leading to net losses on paper. The cash position was actually fairly stable, which should be what matters in determining whether an airline can continue operating. Recently, however, the airline has had operational losses. My guess is this is a result of parked aircraft (e.g. 787s) which has led to a cut in capacity, at the same time that fixed costs remain. As a result, revenue dropped and expenses didn't move all that much (decreased just a little). The cash position is still alright, so I'm not all that worried. Thai definitely needs to get its aircraft back up in the air to bring that revenue back up. I will start to worry when Thai has difficulty getting loans or other financing and the cash position starts to slide.

trooper Aug 23, 2019 8:22 pm

How likely to get a status match anyway - from one Star Alliance airline to another???

LondonElite Aug 24, 2019 4:16 am

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 31450208)
How likely to get a status match anyway - from one Star Alliance airline to another???

Basically zero.

Thai-Kiwi Aug 24, 2019 4:59 am

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 31450208)

NZ wouldn’t match my 2 years of ROP Gold validity period for even 1 year of NZ Gold.

Somewhat annoying as NZ refuses to allow me to use my TG*G status for lounge entry if I have my NZ number in the booking to accrue miles/SP to NZ.

They used to allow this, and there are even two fields in the system (FQTV for accrual and FQTS for status) - and other *A carriers do.

So basically NZ offers no *A benefit to me as a TG*G if I want to accrue to NZ.