Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Have you ever heard of preferred seating on TG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BRK-B

Here it is, I hope that ROP G&P would not be charged.

- Front row Economy (31)
- Buy Silk but sit in First

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/of...red_seats.page
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:42 am

Wow this is new. Not sure why TG is making this overly complicated. I am not complaining if they are trying to earn more money this way in a similar fashion to many other airliens (SQ included).

But please, make it simple. Allow people to pay when they book the flight. Insert it as a perk for higher fare class within the same travelling class. Or make it as a perk for ROP or Silver+.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I checked my upcoming Y booking. The seatmap for row 31 and exit rows do not show any change - they appear unavailable, but ExpertFlyer shows them as blocked.

Can we assume at OLCI or physical checkin the seat map is opened up?

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 19, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 19, 2019 at 2:17 pm Reason: dup
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
So, this means that if I am on Business Class, I can pay to have First Class seat, even if the THAI flights/sectors are operated by THREE (First, Business and Economy) classes of service?
I think paid FC passengers would not be so pleased.

Last edited by spunk_tokyo; Jul 19, 2019 at 5:40 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BRK-B
Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo
So, this means that if I am on Business Class, I can pay to have First Class seat, even if the THAI flights/sectors are operated by THREE (First, Business and Economy) classes of service?
I think paid FC passengers would not be so pleased.
Only on a two-class flight operated with three class aircraft.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Noppasit
Only on a two-class flight operated with three class aircraft.
One would imagine so....however this is not spelt out in the attached link as far as I can see.

Also noted I see that it is non refundable. I would imagine a source of frustration following the inevitable Thai Airways last minute equipment change.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:31 pm

Complimentary for ROP Gold and Plat. members please.
So many other Star Alliance airlines have preferred seating available for their top-tier members.
I can't think of any ROP Gold or Plat. TG inflight benefits other than the occasional meal being served first.
This seems a bit rushed and not properly thought through....BKK-AKL preferred seat is $100, but AKL-BKK is $200?? Really strange pricing.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 11277m
So many other Star Alliance airlines have preferred seating available for their top-tier members.
I can't think of any ROP Gold or Plat. TG inflight benefits other than the occasional meal being served first.
This seems a bit rushed and not properly thought through....BKK-AKL preferred seat is $100, but AKL-BKK is $200?? Really strange pricing.
Hadn’t noted the price difference AKL-BKK and vv. AKL-BKK is a day flight, but the reverse is an overnight- not sure that explains the difference...
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

Hadn’t noted the price difference AKL-BKK and vv. AKL-BKK is a day flight, but the reverse is an overnight- not sure that explains the difference...
Same differential for flights between BKK and Europe...BKK to Europe preferred seats are $100, but Europe to BKK preferred seats are $200.
$200 must represent a significant percentage increase on the basic fare price (before taxes, additional fees and fuel charges etc).
Seems like the charge is just a guess, or perhaps "what we think the market might bear"
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Same differential for flights between BKK and Europe...BKK to Europe preferred seats are $100, but Europe to BKK preferred seats are $200.
$200 must represent a significant percentage increase on the basic fare price (before taxes, additional fees and fuel charges etc).
Seems like the charge is just a guess, or perhaps "what we think the market might bear"
I don't think you're reading the chart correctly. Part of the issue is that Bangkok is only listed as an origin, not a destination.

BKK to Europe is 100 USD. Zone 1 (HKT, CNX, KBV) to Europe is 115 USD.
The return from Europe to Zone 1 is also 115 USD. No price for a return to BKK is listed.

Flying from one city in Europe (say LHR) to another city in Europe (say FRA) via Bangkok would be 200 USD, which is the same as 100 USD for each leg.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I don't think you're reading the chart correctly. Part of the issue is that Bangkok is only listed as an origin, not a destination.

BKK to Europe is 100 USD. Zone 1 (HKT, CNX, KBV) to Europe is 115 USD.
The return from Europe to Zone 1 is also 115 USD. No price for a return to BKK is listed.

Flying from one city in Europe (say LHR) to another city in Europe (say FRA) via Bangkok would be 200 USD, which is the same as 100 USD for each leg.
Yeah, I re-read the chart and can see that the $200 is for, say, AKL-BKK-LHR. Both AKL and LHR are in Zone 5 from BKK.

BKK to Zone 5 $100
Zone 5 to Zone 5 $200
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:41 am

Yes, I can see that now. Perhaps I shouldn't always think the worst!
But let's still expect these seats to be complimentary for ROP Gold and Plat, as other airlines tend to do for their own members.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Main Wheel
however this is not spelt out in the attached link as far as I can see.
T&C point 11
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Yes, I can see that now. Perhaps I shouldn't always think the worst!
But let's still expect these seats to be complimentary for ROP Gold and Plat, as other airlines tend to do for their own members.
As they communicate that new 'feature' only and first to all others on the ROP-website, I would assume that they will also collect the money from ROP Gold members, too.
Whereever one asks you only hear: "it is expected to be introduced soon" but the ROP pages are the only source of available information so far....

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Jul 22, 2019 at 9:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.