Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Spa massage, or go to Novotel Suvarnabhumi Spa

Old Jul 28, 19, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

i Will be traveling BKK to HKG in September. Thai does not offer First Class on these flights like they did as recent as 2 years ago. I have generally always flown in First on the BKK - NRT (A380) morning flight, and always arrive at check in counter 5am to 5:15am (always up early), so as to get to the lounge for a quick bite and an expresso. Then walk across to the hall to the Royal Orchid Spa for a full 1hour body massage.

But, no First Class Seat on my itinerary, and based on the Spa webpage, the complimentary 60 minute Full Body Massage is only for First Class travelers. I do not expect the Spa to allow any exceptions to this requirement, but I will certainly ask when I check in. Business class passenger can get 30 min leg or shoulder massage.

I will probably have enough time to make the 7 minute walk to the Novotel, via underground walkway. I have just looked at the Spa menu. It states “Bookings made by hotel guest: call or walk in directly”. I won’t be staying there, but imagine that if they have availability they will accept my business. Perhaps I could call the day before.

Never been much impressed by Thai First Class (Economy and Business are very good), but I always receive a very high level of service in my visits to Royal Orchid Spa. Not a problem for me to pay he 2200 or 2900 baht for 60 or 90 minute oil massage at the Novotel Vous Spa.

Any forum BKK travelers have any success getting the 60 minute massage if only on a Business class ticket? Anybody have a good review of the Novotel Spa?
Old Jul 28, 19, 11:42 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Never more than the 30 mins spa in biz. No experience of Novotel.
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks ThaiKiwi,

Yes, I should plan to proceed to Novotel. Found an online booking form on their website. Will send the form, then follow up with a fone call.

Hopefully I will remember to post a positive review.
Old Jul 30, 19, 2:15 am

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Once a couple of years ago I arrived in BKK in F and was transiting to MAA on a J ticket with the entire TG points itinerary booked in F . There was no F on BKK to MAA. I did ask for the 1 hour treatment but was politely refused.
Old Jul 30, 19, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
You're flying BKK-HKG, are you originating in BKK or connecting from somewhere else?

The 30 minute massages aren't too bad at the spa, although I find the foot massage much better.

There are also a couple of spa/massage places out in the general concourse of the airport.

If you are connecting via BKK note that if you leave to go to Novotel you might have to pay the Thai departure tax on your return through. Small risk, but it has been known to happen.
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have had the 30 minute leg/foot massage. It was excellent. I am actually originating in HKG, so it should be simple enough to go direct to the Novotel (after 5 day stay in Bangkok), arrive for my pre booked massage, then return to the Terminal for security and immigration. Maybe even go for the leg massage if time permits. My lounge snack will be my first priority at that point.
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Tracktime View Post
Yes, I have had the 30 minute leg/foot massage. It was excellent. I am actually originating in HKG, so it should be simple enough to go direct to the Novotel (after 5 day stay in Bangkok), arrive for my pre booked massage, then return to the Terminal for security and immigration. Maybe even go for the leg massage if time permits. My lounge snack will be my first priority at that point.
Might i suggest that somewhere like healthlands while you are actually in Bangkok? (multiple locations, generally good quality, good service, and very popular) might be preferable? Certainly much more relaxing. And will be about 1/3rd the cost.

Much simpler to arrive at the airport, check-in, book your 30 minute massage, go for a snack, come back, have the massage, then board.
Old Jul 31, 19, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Good suggestion, especially as I have never tried a Healthland massage. Although for travel departing BKK it has become a nice routine of getting a massage before boarding an international flight.

Also, there are other airlines flying out of BKK - if the Novotel Spa offers equivalent or better service than the R.O. Spa, I will have less incentive to stay with Thai if I can find a competitively priced Business Class seat. One of my motivations for always opting for First Class on Thai Airways, is to get the 60 minute full body massage. Business class is fine with me, if I can still get that massage. Cannot with Thai, if on the J ticket, so we can choose an alternative, or just stick with Thai - but only in Business.

Old Aug 1, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K
Depends on the length of your connection. The Vous Spa is quite nice and you can book a longer massage than you can at the TG Spa. Also unlike the TG Spa, the treatment rooms in the Vous Spa aren't freezing and water temperatures in the showers are more predictable. Keep in mind though that the Vous Spa only opens at 7am while the TG Spa opens at 6am. Generally I'll head over to the Novotel if I have more than a 4 hour connection. It's very hard to get a full body massage if you are in J on TG.
Old Aug 1, 19, 7:36 am
Original Poster

5khours - Thank you for your review of the Novotel Spa. Having 90 minutes is a big plus (2 hours is too much). My BKK - HKG departs at 13:55L, so the schedule is perfect.

Old Sep 12, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Review of Spa Novotel BKK Airport

As expected I had an excellent massage treatment at Vous Spa. I was flying Business Class on Thai, so I was not entitled to 1 hour full body massage at Thai Airways Royal Orchid Spa.

Left my hotel too early. I had booked massage for 8:30 am, but arrived before 8am. Waited in the lobby until 8:25 am, then went up to the 2nd floor. The Novotel has chairs and tables in the Lobby, but none on the 2nd level. Just alot of vacant space just outside of the Vous Spa reception.

After the treatment, took a quick shower. Then went to the lobby, and immediately was offered a ride to the passenger terminal in the Hotel van. Very good service! After checking 1 bag, did the security and immigration. Decided to get the free 30 min leg massage in the Royal Orchid Spa. Then still plenty of time for some food in the Business Class lounge.

I still prefer the Royal Orchid Spa massage, even if they last for barely 1 hour.

Search this Thread