Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Have you ever heard of preferred seating on TG?

Have you ever heard of preferred seating on TG?

Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I will make a test of sorts mid-Aug flying AKL-BKK in Y, and some other sectors.

Currently seated in 31C on type 789 (31C/J are free to select), and have been in email contact about being allocated 31A if not needed for a baby cot. I will see if they try to charge me for 31A or not.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Partner flying today BKK-HKG as star alliance gold
they now charge for exit row
star alliance does not get fee waived

He stayed in 31A on a 777-300 since he
booked exit row a month ago
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi I can see that someone has managed to get seat 31A on TG641 NRT-BKK. We won't ever know if this is a pre-existing seating request or if it is a paid 'up-front' seat.

dark Blue = occupied
X = blocked by airline for airport control or manual allocation
white = unoccupied

Click on 'SHOW' to see the screen shot - can't reduce it from my phone screenshot size easily.....
Spoiler

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 22, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Noppasit
Here it is, I hope that ROP G&P would not be charged.

- Front row Economy (31)
- Buy Silk but sit in First

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/of...red_seats.page
oh - they will charge both, Gold and even Platinum members as well.
And it seems there is also no limitation on booking classes. - everybody who is willing to pay may buy....
The big difference to other airlines is that TG is now (and for a first time) offering front row emergency exit and bulkhead seats to all customers and charging for it (regardless of Frequent traveller status or booking classes) - but all other "regular" seats may be -at least for the time being - still be reserved free of charge....that makes a (big!) difference.

But everything could also be under the discretion of local manager...who knows...
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
oh - they will charge both, Gold and even Platinum members as well.
And it seems there is also no limitation on booking classes. - everybody who is willing to pay may buy....
The big difference to other airlines is that TG is now (and for a first time) offering front row emergency exit and bulkhead seats to all customers and charging for it (regardless of Frequent traveller status or booking classes) - but all other "regular" seats may be -at least for the time being - still be reserved free of charge....that makes a (big!) difference.

But everything could also be under the discretion of local manager...who knows...
The last comment can be important....

And the 'fine print' from the Terms & Conditions says that TG may choose to waive any fees for certain Thai Government passenger:

The exemption from the above chargeable rates shall be applied to any passengers who traveling on the conditions agreed by THAI and Government sector according to the condition on the passenger's ticket only. By government order or agreement, certain passenger categories may have a free of charge allowance deviating from the above regular system. Such amended free of charge shall be stated on the passenger's e-ticket.

I will report my experiences in an upcoming trip next month in Y (K class) AKL-BKK-NRT-BKK-AKL.....

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 25, 2019 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
.... 'fine print' from the Terms & Conditions.....
What a big surprise....
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:05 pm

One item of note, your ticket must be booked through Thai. I'm flying next week on an F award booked through United NRT-BKK-DPS, the BKK-DPS is on a 744 but sold as J. I reached out to reservations about purchasing an "upgrade" to the wide-open F cabin, here was there response:

Kindly be informed that preferred seat purchase can be proceeded on ticket issued by THAI Airways
(Document 217-xxx xxx xxxx)only.

This service cannot be offered since your ticket was issued by United Airlines (Document 016-xxx xxx xxxx).

Further information or assistance needed, please do not hesitate to let us know.
I'll try when I get to the airport and see if they will move us up for free or if they charge, assuming there is availability still.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Flying BKK-CNX today and was allocated A1 on the 747 without any additional fees or action on my side. Seat map shows the aircraft has F indeed. Nice surprise to get to fly at the nose for the short hop.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:20 pm

Oh, that explains it. BKK-MNL today, at check in agent wanted me to pay THB990. Told her I selected this seat in advance, and there was no charge notification on the site (would have selected something else, and in fact still might as someone else is in the middle seat). She had to call supervisor to OK it.

On the same booking on another flight they moved me out of pre-selected seat due to "electronic device malfunction" (what does that even mean? no TV? on a 1 hr CNX-BKK flight?). Serves me right for using miles to fly TG when I should have paid to fly AirAsia.

P.S. The "electronic device malfunction" was a family or friends of the crew. Guess I had the only almost empty middle row

Last edited by tr3k; Jul 29, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by tr3k
On the same booking on another flight they moved me out of pre-selected seat due to "electronic device malfunction" (what does that even mean? no TV? on a 1 hr CNX-BKK flight?). ...
On MH at SIN they asked if I wanted to move due to a malfunction. I declined as it was less than an hour flight.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew AKL-BKK in Y, had preselected 31C, with 31A/B blocked as usual by the system for Airport Control use (baby cot usually).

On the 789, only bulkhead seats 31C, 31F and 31H were preselectable for flexi-saver and better fares. This was before Preferred Seats was implemented. Now all row 31 is blocked.

A few days prior to the flight, and after implementation, I discovered I was able to select 31A (or any other row 31 seat). My conclusion is that the system recognised me as a Preferred Seat customer due to my existing selection and despite not paying.

Like many, I think these so-called Preferred Seats should be free to ROP Plat/Gold. Attached is a picture showing the stickers applied to the seats. I never noticed them until leaving the aircraft
Attached Images  
andyptrav likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BRK-B
This is rubbish, why on earth TG would not waive the charge for ROP Gold or even Plat for prefer seating? Btw I did ask about this at check-in counter.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Noppasit
This is rubbish, why on earth TG would not waive the charge for ROP Gold or even Plat for prefer seating? Btw I did ask about this at check-in counter.
I agree. When booking a few months ago I was told by TG "I can get you into row 31" but the seating was apparently requested and not confirmed. Then TG had the bright idea of charging for the seats and my local TG office said row 31 could only be allocated at check-in, with payment. TG in Bangkok were able to allocate row 31 when I emailed and phoned, though only with payment of course.

It's a bit sad to see the desire to find as many things to charge for as possible. Other Star Alliance carriers do or did allow preferred seats for their gold members...Air Canada used to, United, Swiss and Air New Zealand still do.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, It would be nice to have some onboard advantages apart from the occasional welcome from the IFM and the occasional early meal delivery.

I don't believe that this frantic rush to charge for everything, just like a low cost airline, will solve TG's economic problems.
andyptrav likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be interesting to know what the local Thai frequent flyers think of this as well? Although you may recall that the fee can be waived for Thai government employees, there must be many ordinary local ROP members...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BRK-B
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
It would be interesting to know what the local Thai frequent flyers think of this as well? Although you may recall that the fee can be waived for Thai government employees, there must be many ordinary local ROP members...
If the Ministry of Finance is not the major shareholder, it would have been much easier for TG to operate with less loss, so Government/Political interference is a thing in here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.