New A/C to SYD - A380 or 777?

Old Jul 13, 19, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ROP Gold
New A/C to SYD - A380 or 777?

Hi All,

Heard rumours via the grapevine that come October, SYD has a possible aircraft change as the 747 is nearing retirement .... rumours of an A380 are going around, but others are saying 777 .... anyone know?
SYD has usually got a good F Class loading on most TG476 flights, hence why I’m thinking they’d use an A380 to keep F flights going to Syd?

Old Jul 13, 19, 11:45 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
I think if the 747 is withdrawn, then SYD will lose First Class. The 380 is fully committed to Europe and japan.
It'd be interesting to know how many F seats to SYD are sold or are mileage from ROP and other partner programs.

But that is just a guess, and I have heard no new rumours on the 747 withdrawal....
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
The problem is that there are too many rumors and not enough facts.

Was looking at an F flight FRA-SYD on “LH and friends” for next winter just the other day and went with the via SIN option instead of via BKK, although BKK has the better timing. It is just too uncertain whether TG will still have F on BKK-SYD in the winter.
Old Jul 17, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: TG Plat
As already stated above it is most unlikely an A380 will be allocated to BKK - SYD.

Slightly off-topic: Long term, First will only be on the A380 and will disappear when that is gone. The A380 is a great plane but not very profitable (Emirates a possible exception) hence the first one delivered to SQ was broken for spares when the lease expired. Now that Business is so good on the newer planes I have only ever paid for First on one leg, the difference is just not worth the cost. I suspect much of First is mileage redemption or GUP/PUP upgrades and, according to rumour, the numerous ex-directors and family who fly free.
Old Jul 17, 19, 8:10 am

Bear in mind that with EK's withdrawal and the cancellation of TG471/472, capacity on the route has been cut by around 50% overall (and 60% in premium cabins) in recent times.
With the end of Aus school holidays, BKK-SYD is almost sold out next week in all classes on both QF and TG.
Having said that, I'd be happy enough with the A350.
Old Jul 18, 19, 12:37 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by SYDTG747 View Post
... as the 747 is nearing retirement
That's the understatement of the decade. Well past retirement age and using a zimmer frame is how I would put it. As for an A380 service - Sydney was supposedly in line for one of the first A380s when they were introduced but TG's plans changed. I'm not sure how they can justify a twice-daily A350 flight from Melbourne most days. The direct Sydney-Bangkok service has lucked out over the past few years. QF is down to a single A330 daily, EK has pulled out of the route altogether, and there's TG with its tired clapped out 747s. Australia's premier city deserves better but my first choice these days is SQ because I can use Changi's transit hotel and get a good night's sleep rather than try for a poor man's Business Class non-lie-flat seat on the night flight back from Bangkok
Old Jul 18, 19, 1:38 am

And I note Brisbane has been getting the similarly elderly 777-200ER again rather than the 787-8 (which was supposed to have replaced the 77E).

For J pax the 77E hard product (angle flat seat) is a step backwards compared to the 788 fully lie flat seat.
Old Jul 18, 19, 1:39 am

duplicate

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 18, 19 at 1:40 am Reason: duplicate
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
... TG with its tired clapped out 747s. Australia's premier city deserves better but my first choice these days is SQ because I can use Changi's transit hotel and get a good night's sleep rather than try for a poor man's Business Class non-lie-flat seat on the night flight back from Bangkok
I don’t blame you. Have been on several TG B744 flights in J and F this year, including BKK-SYD, and find the J seats way past their best before and did not really enjoy F either. When I had the choice between TG and SQ on a recent booking from FRA to SYD, took SQ instantly.
Old Jul 18, 19, 3:09 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by andyptrav View Post
As already stated above it is most unlikely an A380 will be allocated to BKK - SYD.

Slightly off-topic: Long term, First will only be on the A380 and will disappear when that is gone. The A380 is a great plane but not very profitable (Emirates a possible exception) hence the first one delivered to SQ was broken for spares when the lease expired. Now that Business is so good on the newer planes I have only ever paid for First on one leg, the difference is just not worth the cost. I suspect much of First is mileage redemption or GUP/PUP upgrades and, according to rumour, the numerous ex-directors and family who fly free.
well...I have jsut learned about another "off topic rumour": TG could implement F-class cabin on few B777-300 again by the end of next year....
Old Jul 18, 19, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit View Post
well...I have jsut learned about another "off topic rumour": TG could implement F-class cabin on few B777-300 again by the end of next year....
hard to do for TG with no new deliveries and no budget for a refurb/ crew training etc.
Plus, the A380s are coming up for D-check (overhaul maintenance), so there is money going that way...
Interesting rumor though.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ctive-b777.htm
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:53 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
That's the understatement of the decade. Well past retirement age and using a zimmer frame is how I would put it.
Half of them are 15-20 years old, hardly geriatric!
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba View Post
Half of them are 15-20 years old, hardly geriatric!
They just look and feel older than other airline’s 15 year old B744s.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:05 am

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
hard to do for TG with no new deliveries and no budget for a refurb/ crew training etc.
Plus, the A380s are coming up for D-check (overhaul maintenance), so there is money going that way...
Interesting rumor though.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ctive-b777.htm
Early this year, it was a news indicated that TG will lease 3 B777-300ER for using in the W19 schedules.
Old Jul 19, 19, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by joy16 View Post
Early this year, it was a news indicated that TG will lease 3 B777-300ER for using in the W19 schedules.
Thanks K. Joy.

Story here. https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...pacity-in-4q19

Search this Thread