Intl-Intl transit at BKK

Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Intl-Intl transit at BKK

I hope this is the right forum - if not, let me know.
I have a single booking HKT-BKK-Europe with HKT-BKK on Thai Airways, and BKK-Europe on another *A carrier.
On a booking like that, where will I go through exit immigration and customs, at HKT or BKK? If at HKT - what's the process at BKK?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
You will pass through exit immigration and customs at HKT, and be given a C.I.Q. sticker for your BKK transit. Follow the C.I.Q. signage once you land in BKK.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
whoops, misread OP

Yes, on single ticket, you will go through immigration at HKT.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Kacee
... Yes, on single ticket, you will go through immigration at HKT.
Even on 2 separate ticket OP would go through immigration at HKT.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyerby
Even on 2 separate ticket OP would go through immigration at HKT.
That is not the official rule. Official rule is single ticket only for CIQ. I could see TG giving pax a sticker anyway. PG, forget it.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so once at BKK, with that sticker I go through security and then directly into the international departures?

As an aside, what if one were to take the sticker off and walk out back into the country, I wonder.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by tr3k
As an aside, what if one were to take the sticker off and walk out back into the country, I wonder.
Try it and let us know
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWFF
Try it and let us know
Snide riposte would have been more appreciated if it were accompanied by a response to my actual question
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:22 pm

You've already been entered into the computer system as having exited Thailand. So when you tried to exit again, there would be a problem, as the computer would say you had been in Thailand without a lawful entry.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
You've already been entered into the computer system as having exited Thailand. So when you tried to exit again, there would be a problem, as the computer would say you had been in Thailand without a lawful entry.
In other words, you would be in big trouble.
Kacee and Tokyoite like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

That much is obvious. However:
1. Someone who wants to quietly overstay in Thailand may not be so concerned about the exit
2. Can't that same person later on buy a separate domestic and international tickets, put the sticker back on (the one he kept from the time he overstayed), walk out into the international transit area as a CIQ, board his international flight and leave. Unless Thailand has strict passenger list checks on outbound intl. flights, I suppose.

Anyway, that was a purely theoretical question, and not the one I am really interested in discussing.

Now, the real question was about what my transit steps would be at BKK with that CIQ sticker.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Now, the real question was about what my transit steps would be at BKK with that CIQ sticker.
Follow the CIQ signs/crowds on arrival at BKK, pass a security check, hangout at international departures.
tr3k likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:13 pm

That much is obvious.
Really? So why even ask if it was so obvious to you?

Anyway, that was a purely theoretical question, and not the one I am really interested in discussing.
It's the question you asked. Now I better appreciate RTWFF's response
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:59 am

That much is obvious. However:
1. Someone who wants to quietly overstay in Thailand may not be so concerned about the exit
2. Can't that same person later on buy a separate domestic and international tickets, put the sticker back on (the one he kept from the time he overstayed), walk out into the international transit area as a CIQ, board his international flight and leave. Unless Thailand has strict passenger list checks on outbound intl. flights, I suppose.

Deleted my post. I had posted directions to transfer, but the OP would rather go off topice. Once again it seems that rudeness is the topic of discussion. Why do I bother!

Last edited by northsideguy; Jul 10, 2019 at 5:45 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Snide riposte would have been more appreciated if it were accompanied by a response to my actual question
My riposte was advice - I'm sure many of us would be interested in the outcome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.