Seats Not Reserved

Old Jun 22, 19, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Angry Seats Not Reserved

I flew BKK - NRT on June 19th. The airport FC desk had no record of my seat reservation so they put me into a seat of their choosing. In response to my complaint, Thai sent me an email that they just had no record of my reserved seat 2-K. Examining my e-ticket, I find no seats listed. I have never had any airline at any time sell me a FC ticket with no seat reservation. I'm not sure what to do about this since they admit to no mistake. I have no confidence that I will get my requested seat (2-K) when I fly back to Bangkok. Has anyone else had a similar problem with Thai? Any advice?
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
First of all, no seat selection is guaranteed. It is annoying if you have a selection, but are still moved. This can happened for a number of reason (seat broken), through bumped for another tier passenger or royalty.

It is also surprisingly common for some people to buy a ticket but not select a seat at the time of booking. The airline is not a mind reader, and would have no idea where you would prefer to be seated. In your case TG has done nothing wrong.

Not wanting to sound critical, but yiu had plenty of opportunity to select a seat yourself. Why did you not select a seat on purchase? Or use manage my booking to select a seat at a later time? Or contact TG in advance of your flight? To repeat, TG did nothing wrong.

In any case, you appear to have a reserved seat for the return. Unless there is some exceptional circumstance, you should be fine. And utterly no point in complaining or fretting over the situatIon outbound as you hadn’t even selected a seat.
nancypants and RTWFF like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 22, 19 at 12:40 pm
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:40 pm

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
I think Thai-Kiwi is spot on - OP had not selected a seat, so how would TG know which one he wanted. Sorry to say, but people complain too much these days...
Old Jun 23, 19, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Well, It is possible that I didn't click on an extra button on the seat selection page. I will check that out with the Tokyo office tomorrow but I thought that I had made a seat selection. In my entire life, except for the days of flying PSA from San Diego to San Francisco, I have never, ever had any airline sell me a ticket without an assigned seat. Thai should not do it. I have bought tickets online for many years and have never gotten one without an assigned seat. How would an airline know that they have a seat for you if they don't assign it at the time of purchase? Neither have I ever been required to check in online unless I wanted a special meal or special service. I have been flying for many, many years and have never been required to check in online. When I have the time, I do so, but I just didn't have much time on the 17th and 18th.

I book tickets on many airline pages and always, when I click on a particular seat, it is selected for my itinerary. It is probable that Thai has changed their page, requiring an extra step to reserve your seat but every other airline requires you to select your seat and will not issue an e-ticket without a seat reservation.

I am not very happy with the Thai Airways home page anyway. It will never accept my ID and password to log in, saying that it is invalid. When I try to establish a new ID and password, it refuses to allow it saying that the information is already on the system.

I think that Thai should fix their seat selection page, adding the seat that you click on to your itinerary. That is the way that it works on every other site that I've used and it was working on Thai last fall when I booked my last BKK - NRT - BKK trip. Thai has been pretty good up until this year but they obviously need a proficient IT expert to rework their home page. They also should not require passengers to contact them after booking and purchasing their ticket. Online check in should be optional, just as it is with every other ariline.
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:26 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
"The person doth protest too much, methinks" (with apologies to Shakespeare).

Well, It is possible that I didn't click on an extra button on the seat selection page. I will check that out with the Tokyo office tomorrow but I thought that I had made a seat selection.
The THAI system is very straightforward for seat selection, with thousands of novice flyers booking everyday... I think that fact alone is suggestive of 'operator error'. You concede that this is possible...

I have never, ever had any airline sell me a ticket without an assigned seat. Thai should not do it. I have bought tickets online for many years and have never gotten one without an assigned seat. How would an airline know that they have a seat for you if they don't assign it at the time of purchase?
It is also a fact that airlines sell flights without allocation of seats. They know how many tickets are sold, and how many seats are on the plane. Indeed many Low Cost Carriers are delighted to sell you a ticket without a seat, simply so they can charge you more later.

The THAI website is not perfect, but you had the chance to select a seat, even before proceeding to pay, and somehow didn't notice. You also didn't notice or check prior to turning up for check-in whether or not your seats were selected.

I'm sorry, but the failure to select a seat prior to the flight is all yours. My suggestion is perhaps proceed more slowly next time, and double check once your PNR is issued by using the Manage My Booking function to review and change seats.
Old Jun 23, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: Thai Airways
To add to the knoweldgeable and helpful reply by TK, Than has not changed the method of seat selection for years.

There is no requirement and it is not mandatory to check in on line - in fact certain passengers are not allowed to check in on line (e.g Thai or other airlines need to see credit card used to purchase ticket in some cases, in which case the system would not allow a person to check in). My observation at airports outside Bangkok is that a low % of passengers travelling in Economy check in on line just by looking at the queues in the respective lines, while I am checking in for BC.

I don't understand 'Neither have I ever been required to check in online unless I wanted a special meal or special service.' The two are totally unrelated with Thai and other airlines I fly on/have flown on.

If you care to spend a minute or two you could go to manage your booking, check seat selection and choose a seat (if not reserved already) or change seat if your favourite seat has not been allocated. If what you want is not available call Thai Airways in BKK, FC and BC No and kindly request. It really is that simple with Thai.

Seems like a mountain out of a molehill.

(And don't forget to choose what colour and make of bag you want).
nancypants, RTWFF and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Well, perhaps it is my mistake but I was not buying a low-cost economy ticket. It was a first class ticket. I will clarify how to make sure that my seat is selected with Thai tomorrow. Thai still needs to fix its website and should make selection of a seat automatically be added to a passenger's itinerary when it is clicked on during the purchase process. They should not sell a ticket without a seat reservation. I am irritated that I postponed my departure on the 18th to be on the following day so that I could get seat 2-K. but I will ask Thai to walk me through seat selection on purchase tomorrow so I understand the process. I will also demand that they make it possible to log in to their website. Their website has always been buggy and needs to be redone. Perhaps they should install a new server too.

Incidentally, a Thai agent told me in an email that the reason that I didn't get my requested seat is because I didn't check in online. That was apparently just an excuse of the moment.
Old Jun 23, 19, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
It is hard to understand your repeated posts.

You failed to request your desired seat 2K at time of booking or any time before your flight including OLCI.
It seems that you would like TG system to mysteriously branch to your mind and guess the seat assignment you prefer.
No wonder that TG put you in a seat of their choosing.

But you were not downgraded, so it is not clear what is your complaint with TG.

Sure, their website is not the best, but I never had problem assigning a seat in J or F.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Jun 23, 19 at 9:39 am
Old Jun 23, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
The OP claims to not be a novice traveler, so lets treat this post as such - OP, no airline has mandatory seat reservations (quite the contrary!), and you failed to request any seat upon booking. It is your fault, not TGs, so please stop blaming someone else for your own mistake.

And to your point, airlines do not sell tickets based pre-allocated seats.... TG, along with any other airline, is by no means perfect but in this case they are not wrong.

Sorry to be blunt but time to move on..
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 9:58 am
Original Poster

I thought that I had booked seat 2-K when I bought my ticket online but apparently I missed some confirmation step. I did not contact the airline or manage my booking because I thought that I had successfully reserved seat 2-K for both my outbound and inbound flights and only discovered that I did not have the seat when I checked in at the airport. I have recently checked the booking of my return flight and searched for my seat reservation for quite a while. I finally found it nested under "services" and not on my main itinerary page. The web page should be improved. I have flown in FC with Thai for many years and never had a problem booking my seat and even finding the location of the seat assignment until this year. I will always double-check my seat reservations in the future and hope to avoid the problem that I had this time Still, the airline should not sell a first class ticket without a seat reservation. I have never had that happen with any other airline, ever.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
The strangest post ever, you didn't bother to choose a seat or at best confirm that your choice was confirmed but then blame the airline. I purchased a ticket on SQ last year and went through an optional process to reserve seats. Had I pressed "skip" for this process I would have expected to be put in whichever seat was available at check in. I am struggling to understand the OPs beef.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:59 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
Still, the airline should not sell a first class ticket without a seat reservation. I have never had that happen with any other airline, ever.
But... you got (or were offered) a seat reservation, right?

If you don't select a seat yourself, some airlines will assign it at booking and some will assign it at check-in. Either way, you get a seat reservation before getting on the a airplane.

The web page should be improved.
This I agree with, although the newer version in the last 3 or so years is a lot lot better than the version(s) in the decade or so before that.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

I just got off of the phone to the Thai Airways office in Tokyo. My seats had been reserved successfully but the reservations were cancelled automatically because the plane was changed. They realize that this is a bad situation but say that there are just too many passengers to notify when this is done so they can't do it. The representative said that I should check my reservation shortly before I travel because this could happen again. I suggested a change to the web page and recommended that the seat reservations be listed in the main section of the itinerary and not at the very bottom under "Services." She will submit my suggestion to management.
Old Jun 24, 19, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Interesting that everyone attacked me for not booking my seats correctly when in fact I made no mistake.
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Interesting that everyone attacked me for not booking my seats correctly when in fact I made no mistake.
Maybe re-read the thread and ask yourself why that was?
Tokyoite, brunos and IAH2MEL like this.

Search this Thread