Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund from Thai to credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Refund from Thai to credit card

Hi, I am hoping someone is able to help me as the Thai Airways Office is closed in Melbourne until Tuesday because of a public holiday.
I need to cancel a return business class ticket to Rome and wanted to know if Thai will apply the refund to a different credit card in my name.
Having it credited back to the original card will limit my use of the money somewhat.
Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Melru
Hi, I am hoping someone is able to help me as the Thai Airways Office is closed in Melbourne until Tuesday because of a public holiday.
I need to cancel a return business class ticket to Rome and wanted to know if Thai will apply the refund to a different credit card in my name.
Having it credited back to the original card will limit my use of the money somewhat.
Thanks for any help.
I don't believe so, unless perhaps with the same company/bank? You could call THAI in Bangkok on Monday to ask the question rather than wait 2 more days. THAI refunds were credited within 4-6 weeks in my experience.

I do know that I had a credit from Malaysian that took 4 months to process, and my card expired in the meantime. However, my bank assured me the credit would find its way to my new card.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I don't believe so, unless perhaps with the same company/bank? You could call THAI in Bangkok on Monday to ask the question rather than wait 2 more days. THAI refunds were credited within 4-6 weeks in my experience.

I do know that I had a credit from Malaysian that took 4 months to process, and my card expired in the meantime. However, my bank assured me the credit would find its way to my new card.
Thanks @Thai-Kiwi I am able to contact my credit card company on the weekend so will find out from them what is most likely to happen then contact Thai Airways
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Welcome to FT!

I'm quite sure TG will not allow to refund amounts to another cc than the card used for the purchasing the ticket - it is part of normal fraud prevention.

Is it that important to you which cc the refund is made to that it warrants spending a lot of time on this? - I don't get the fuzz, sorry.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is very unlikely that any merchant vendor, including TG will issue a credit to anything other than the original form of payment. Doing so creates accounting issues for TG and also, in certain countries may be seen as circumventing money laundering and other currency rules.

All card issuers (banks) have provisions for what to do with refunds which create a credit balance after an account is closed. Your bank will be able to better advise what will happen if that is the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.