FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Tips to reducing airfare in Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1972163-tips-reducing-airfare-asia.html)

AirCanada881 Jun 1, 19 3:38 am

Tips to reducing airfare in Asia

I'm trying to book DPS-BKK and BKK-SGN but it's pricing at over 450 USD... Any tips on reducing the fare? I am really surprised at how expensive the tickets are considering other low-cost competition

moondog Jun 1, 19 3:43 am

Originally Posted by AirCanada881 (Post 31159435)
I'm trying to book DPS-BKK and BKK-SGN but it's pricing at over 450 USD... Any tips on reducing the fare? I am really surprised at how expensive the tickets are considering other low-cost competition

Air Asia?

AirCanada881 Jun 1, 19 3:53 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31159442)
Air Asia?

Well I want to fly with TG, Air Asia is indeed cheaper, I'm trying to price out TG cheaper.

Thai-Kiwi Jun 1, 19 5:05 am

TG one way fares are poor value and generally not worth it compared to LCC point-point.

Perhaps price a return DPS-BKK(stop)-SGN and throw away the return?

maerim Jun 1, 19 6:06 am

Checking random dates in June cost on TG website for one way is 360 USD on TG, but overnight stay in BKK would be necessary.

Kacee Jun 1, 19 7:18 am

Originally Posted by AirCanada881 (Post 31159435)
Any tips on reducing the fare?

Yeah, don't fly TG ex-BKK.

AirCanada881 Jun 1, 19 7:31 am

I need to fly to BKK from DPS on 1st November, seems other dates at +/- 2/3 days the price is cut in half so I'll just wait... The cheapest option is Thai lion & it's probably paranoia speaking but I'd rather avoid them after last year' crash.

SKT-DK Jun 1, 19 8:04 am

Well, supply and demand... if you want to fly on a full service carrier and direct then pay the price. If you do not mind a stop, MH is usually selling rock-bottom fares via KUL

AirCanada881 Jun 1, 19 8:13 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 31159917)
Well, supply and demand... if you want to fly on a full service carrier and direct then pay the price. If you do not mind a stop, MH is usually selling rock-bottom fares via KUL

Looked at MH actually, yes it's cheaper at 155 O/W

Thai-Kiwi Jun 1, 19 4:12 pm

Or even SQ...

maerim Jun 1, 19 7:13 pm

I suggest the OP checks and decides himself as only he knows what constraints/preferences he has re departure/arrival time, whether he wants to check in 50 kg of luggage, choose a seat, lounge access, etc and other issues that rack up the cost on some airlines.

Unterwegs Jun 8, 19 9:44 am

Originally Posted by maerim (Post 31161330)
I suggest the OP checks and decides himself as only he knows what constraints/preferences he has re departure/arrival time, whether he wants to check in 50 kg of luggage, choose a seat, lounge access, etc and other issues that rack up the cost on some airlines.

Agree. Personally I have given up on TG for inner asia flights. As Star Gold I have lounge access, more baggage etc and I am willing to pay more for TG. But usually their prices are so high that I just pick whatever low cost carrier has the best schedule and pay for seats up front etc extra. Also DMK is usually quicker for me that BKK.

nattime Jun 15, 19 10:44 am

But due to your plan considered as one-way open jaw it alway applied as one way pricing schema.

AirCanada881 Jun 15, 19 10:56 am

I ended up booking DPS-KUL-CGK in J for 175€! And then KUL-HKT for 60€.

Thai-Kiwi Jun 15, 19 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by AirCanada881 (Post 31205481)
I ended up booking DPS-KUL-CGK in J for 175€! And then KUL-HKT for 60€.

With MH I guess? And youve obviously changed your plans away from DPS-BKK....