Thai Economy Seat choice

Old May 22, 19, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Thai Economy Seat choice

I am flying tomorrow on TG911 with no status

I could see on expertflyer that seats were available but marked with a "p" indicating that they weren't available to people without status.

I had thought they would be available at check-in but no luck.

Will these become available or is it only possible at the airport?
​​
Old May 22, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: Thai Airways
I don't use expertflyer, but one reason is that with the Class of ticket that you purchased you are not allowed to book seats in the front of economy. In this case you could try to select one of those seats when you check in by going to the check in counter. If that does not work and there are seats available (marked "p") after the doors have been closed staff may let you change seat, but in all cases it helps to be polite.
Old May 22, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
During online checkin the whole seat map becomes available - but only with whatever is left. I think once the system goes to load control 48 hours prior to the flight, certainly you cannot adjust seat assignments on line from that point.

I suspect that once load control are running things, SSRs (special service request) and other - ahem- ‘special’ seating requests are then processed. Online check-Ian possible 24 hours prior.

I know when Mrs TK travelled AKL-BKK last month on a W fare she could only select the rear half of the main cabin during booking. Hiwever online checkin allowed her to access the remaining seats anywhere in the economy cabin - she could select 34D from memory.
Old May 23, 19, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
During online checkin the whole seat map becomes available - but only with whatever is left. I think once the system goes to load control 48 hours prior to the flight, certainly you cannot adjust seat assignments on line from that point.

I suspect that once load control are running things, SSRs (special service request) and other - ahem- ‘special’ seating requests are then processed. Online check-Ian possible 24 hours prior.

I know when Mrs TK travelled AKL-BKK last month on a W fare she could only select the rear half of the main cabin during booking. Hiwever online checkin allowed her to access the remaining seats anywhere in the economy cabin - she could select 34D from memory.
Thanks for the info.

Yes I can see further up now but nothing on top deck.
Its a bit odd as 26 hours before on expertflyer it was showing half empty but at 24 hours expertflyer can no longer see the seat map. (Manage booking seat selection broken as well at that point)

Will chance my arm at the desk and report back.
​​​​​
​​​​
Old May 23, 19, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by castie View Post
Thanks for the info.

Yes I can see further up now but nothing on top deck.
Its a bit odd as 26 hours before on expertflyer it was showing half empty but at 24 hours expertflyer can no longer see the seat map. (Manage booking seat selection broken as well at that point)

Will chance my arm at the desk and report back.
​​​​​
​​​​
Not broken. Between 72 and 48 hours prior, THAI closes off the seat map for access and hands management over to Load Control, The seat map is inaccessible to MMB and Expert Flyer at that point.
Old May 30, 19, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So with Flexi Saver tickets, you're not allowed to choose seats?

Not even request window or aisle, left or right side of the aircraft?

Does it matter if you're *A Gold?
Old May 30, 19, 6:16 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

With A Flexi Saver you should be able to choose any seat thaat is available when booking on line or by calling TG - this includes seats in the front part of the plane.
Old May 30, 19, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by wco81

Originally Posted by maerim View Post
With A Flexi Saver you should be able to choose any seat thaat is available when booking on line or by calling TG - this includes seats in the front part of the plane.

Flexi-Saver (if K or T class); Yes, you can select seats almost anywhere (not exit row/bulkhead).
Star Gold offers no benefit when selecting seats, it is all based on fare class.

The exception is that seat select is not possible for domestic flights until OLCI.
RTWFF likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
This is BKK-HKG.

But I made this booking in error, have to cancel.
Old May 30, 19, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Discussing economy seat selection further, we were recently flying TG476 SYD-BKK, K class, B747. Seating is 3-4-3. So we decided to book 38H & 38K. At check-in at SYD we asked, and 38J (middle seat) remained empty. However during boarding someone came to sit in 38J. After take-off, I noticed one row had all the A,B,C seats empty! (The plane had a scattering of other empty seats too.) So I had 9 hours to consider that TG does a very poor job allocating seats. Why would they give someone a middle seat at the gate, when a row of 3 seats is vacant?
Old May 30, 19, 10:57 pm

I have seen similar things. Although I did manage to get 31B blocked, so me in 31A and the other pax in 31C (coincidentally also ROP Gold) had additional elbow room. Aircraft was 789 AKL-BKK last month and was almost completely packed.

@restlessinRNO - sorry I missed meeting you at OzFest, I think my seatmates pointed you out as you were leaving the Sat dinner and I was still talking.....
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
I have seen similar things. Although I did manage to get 31B blocked, so me in 31A and the other pax in 31C (coincidentally also ROP Gold) had additional elbow room. Aircraft was 789 AKL-BKK last month and was almost completely packed.

@restlessinRNO - sorry I missed meeting you at OzFest, I think my seatmates pointed you out as you were leaving the Sat dinner and I was still talking.....
Did you request that 31B be blocked? At booking? I felt keeping our middle seat open until all window and isle seats were filled was the least TG could do for me as *A G and my partner as ROP S.

@Thai-Kiwi - Sorry to have missed you. We were only at the Saturday dinner and there were no name tags this year unfortunately. I'm in CNX a lot these days. I understand there is a considerable Thai NZ diaspora. Happy travels.
Old May 31, 19, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Did you request that 31B be blocked? At booking? I felt keeping our middle seat open until all window and isle seats were filled was the least TG could do for me as *A G and my partner as ROP S.

@Thai-Kiwi - Sorry to have missed you. We were only at the Saturday dinner and there were no name tags this year unfortunately. I'm in CNX a lot these days. I understand there is a considerable Thai NZ diaspora. Happy travels.
Selected 31C at time of booking as 31A/B are blocked for Load Control.

I emailed the THAI Airport office at AKL around a week prior asking to be allocated 31A, and the called at T-72 to ask again.

On check-in 31A was confirmed, and then I asked if B and C were occupied. 31 C was and I asked then for 31B to be blocked.

Search this Thread