Manchester route possibility

Old May 13, 19, 9:04 am
LPQ
Original Poster

Programs: TG G 18 years
Manchester route possibility

It's good to see press reports today that Manchester Airport is trying to help TG launch a service from the airport. I suspect holiday makers from the North and Scotland would make up the passengers rather than Thai visitors who face a big hurdle in obtaining a UK visa.

it might be a viable route for the 787 once the engines are sorted.
Old May 13, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I would welcome this option. I hope it is economically viable.
Old May 14, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
wondering if the 787-8 is range-wise a suitable aircraft for that route......
Old May 14, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by LPQ View Post
I suspect holiday makers from the North and Scotland would make up the passengers rather than Thai visitors who face a big hurdle in obtaining a UK visa.
...or Malaysians, or Singaporeans, or Australians or any other place that makes sense connecting through Bangkok
Old May 14, 19, 8:44 pm

Programs: ROP
This news had been reported in Thai news 1 or 2 months ago together with Sendai route and the planned aircraft for this route is A350.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by joy16 View Post
This news had been reported in Thai news 1 or 2 months ago together with Sendai route and the planned aircraft for this route is A350.
Manchester has been on TG's European route map for many many years already, a discussion about it pops up almost every other year (see i.e. last threat here on 1.Apr18) but was never launched.
The most critical point is: will it economically negatively affect the two daily London flights? These slots at Heathrow are too valuable to easily being sacrificed in favour of new alternate Manchester flights.
The A350 seems a suitable aircraft while the range of the B787-8 might cause other headaches

In addition to above see this link where TG's Managment officially seems to be planning with MAN (Sendai flights have already been confirmed): http://thai.listedcompany.com/misc/PRESN/20190517-thai-analystBriefing1q2019.pdf

Last edited by Creole Spirit; May 17, 19 at 3:04 am
Old May 15, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit View Post
Manchester has been on TG's European route map for many many years already, a discussion about it pops up almost every other year (see i.e. last threat here on 1.Apr18) but was never launched.
The most critical point is: will it economically negatively affect the two daily London flights? These slots at Heathrow are too valuable to easily being sacrificed in favour of new alternate Manchester flights.
The A350 seems a suitable aircraft while the range of the B787-8 might cause other headaches
I can't imagine that many people currently head from MAN to London either via a flight or otherwise just to fly TG. If there is going to be a negative effect, I would imagine it will hit FRA and MUC as much as LHR given they are the best one-stop connection points for Star Alliance to MAN. I'm guessing the case here is to allow them to capture some of the one-stop traffic to BKK from MAN currently split across many airlines but in particular BA, EK, EY and QR.
Old May 15, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
I can't imagine that many people currently head from MAN to London either via a flight or otherwise just to fly TG. If there is going to be a negative effect, I would imagine it will hit FRA and MUC as much as LHR given they are the best one-stop connection points for Star Alliance to MAN. I'm guessing the case here is to allow them to capture some of the one-stop traffic to BKK from MAN currently split across many airlines but in particular BA, EK, EY and QR.

That makes a lot of sense, especially if they choose A350 metal rather than B787
Old May 16, 19, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
OK - point taken and agreed
But: as long as the two daily London flights are not really profitable, it will be hard for Thai's Management to decide to launch another city in the UK
Old May 16, 19, 2:24 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit View Post
OK - point taken and agreed
But: as long as the two daily London flights are not really profitable, it will be hard for Thai's Management to decide to launch another city in the UK
Stop using real logic .....!
Creole Spirit likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 6:29 am

I’d happily choose MAN , provided the ticket was cheaper. For the same reason I often end up in Milan rather than Rome.
Old May 16, 19, 9:54 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by paolo64 View Post
Id happily choose MAN , provided the ticket was cheaper. For the same reason I often end up in Milan rather than Rome.
I suspect this is the problem, the tickets wont be cheap enough to lure pax away from less direct

Search this Thread